Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension 101

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ thanks......ya i did what i could......im constantly adding to it as i remember things, see more products, etc......

definitely is a lot.....
-J
Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason,
Just got my alignment done and my car does SLIGHTLY pull to the right. May just be the roads but at any rate what do you think of my alignment below?

Front

Camber
Left: -1.5 Right: -1.3

Caster
Left: 8.6 Right: 8.9

Toe
Left: .05 Right .03

SAI
Left: 5.5 Right 5.0

Included Angle
Left: 4.0 Right: 3.7

Rear

Camber
Left: -1.7 Right -1.7

Toe
Left: .10 Right: .09
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

well, your numbers don't look too bad, but your front camber differences along with your differences in SAI and IA are what are causing the pull........

Google them..............

I'm guessing you have oem upper control arms?
-J
Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
well, your numbers don't look too bad, but your front camber differences along with your differences in SAI and IA are what are causing the pull........

Google them..............

I'm guessing you have oem upper control arms?
-J
No, I have the Ichiba front control arms. The alignment guy said that he couldn't bring the camber in any more than that.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:51 AM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Epic. Now we need to get some shock dynos on available shocks. I'm suspect of many setups. I wish I had shock dyno'd my setup just to be sure.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
No, I have the Ichiba front control arms. The alignment guy said that he couldn't bring the camber in any more than that.
ya, okay that makes sense......the ichiba's can top out..........how low do you have your car???

the difference from left to right can be bushings.....its hard to tell .00 anything by looking but the compression arm bushing has way to much compliance in it....

I would bet that would be the culprit in these figures........
-J
Old 06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Epic. Now we need to get some shock dynos on available shocks. I'm suspect of many setups. I wish I had shock dyno'd my setup just to be sure.
ya that would be nice....
Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default REAR SHOCK BOLTS - coilover install....

Okay I would also like to note, that i have seen this more than once and failed to mention it..........Ill add this to post 16 to ensure it gets exposure...

when installing coilovers in the rear............whether they are true or oem style coilovers, i recommend prior to doing so you purchase quality replacement hardware in lieu of reusing the oem shock nuts that are there from Nissan.....

See back there the 350z has two studs hanging down..........and the coilovers attach via two each M8x1.25 nuts with 12mm hex - so you need to use a 12mm socket to remove them........

ensure you have a good straight long extension and that you DON'T strip those nuts!!!

SEE HERE:

LOL, ask/pm TQUILL all about that.........but like i have said, i have since seen it a few times since his lil incident at the DFW TECH DAY....

anywho...........
I recommend purchasing either M8x1.25 nuts that utilize a 14MM hex so that a 14mm socket is needed (easy to up size to 14mm with oem style coilovers as there is no 2.5 inch coil like true coilovers) at that location.

I have also sourced higher quality yellow zinc coated strut tower bolts from other vehicles at the junk yard and use them on my own car!

I recently grabbed some very similar to these off a toyota at the junk yard...........they were yellow zinc embossed M12x1.25 nuts with 12mm hex.

They have held up great! and dont strip so easily....

Also, those studs hanging down are not that long, and nearly all the coilovers out there have a thick top plate in aluminum versus the oem shock "steel stamped" skinny plate..... so keep that in mind when sourcing embossed nuts for this situation.

These are very similar to what i sourced at the junk yard:
Mine weren't as tall:

Notice how chebosto has upgraded yellow zink flanged nuts on his set up:

Also, notice how thick the top RED section is, and how there is only 1 thread left protruding from the nut.....depending on how thick your rear mount plate is.............figure out what nuts would work best!

-J
Attached Thumbnails Suspension 101-rearshock.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 06-03-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Diesel350

ya, okay that makes sense......the ichiba's can top out..........how low do you have your car???

the difference from left to right can be bushings.....its hard to tell .00 anything by looking but the compression arm bushing has way to much compliance in it....

I would bet that would be the culprit in these figures........
-J
I checked the bushings with the alignment guy and they all looked fine to us. I am lowered on Hotchkis which lower the car .8" in the front I believe. I plan on going lower once I get coilovers, will I have to change to different brand of front control arms to get into spec on the front?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:44 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

I checked the bushings with the alignment guy and they all looked fine to us.
Its quite hard to see .3 or what not of degrees of misalignment in bushings.....

it could have also been more settlement of one spring over the other....after driving straight for a while, you can measure your fender from the ground on both sides and see where they are at...

I am lowered on Hotchkis which lower the car .8" in the front I believe. I plan on going lower once I get coilovers, will I have to change to different brand of front control arms to get into spec on the front?
yes, if the ichibas topped out on adjustment at that drop height........any lower would result in more negative camber numbers up front........

IMHO, the factory specs are weak.....i think a good -1.7 or so up front is fine....even on a daily driven car......

I find it weird that your ichibas topped out with such a minor drop.....can you take pics of the upper control arm? to show where the ichibas are all the way over and cant be moved/adjusted anymore?

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 06-04-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Diesel350

Its quite hard to see .3 or what not of degrees of misalignment in bushings.....

it could have also been more settlement of one spring over the other....after driving straight for a while, you can measure your fender from the ground on both sides and see where they are at...
I measured both fenders from the ground up and they are exactly the same height on both sides.
yes, if the ichibas topped out on adjustment at that drop height........any lower would result in more negative camber numbers up front........

IMHO, the factory specs are weak.....i think a good -1.7 or so up front is fine....even on a daily driven car......

I find it weird that your ichibas topped out with such a minor drop.....can you take pics of the upper control arm? to show where the ichibas are all the way over and cant be moved/adjusted anymore?

-J
My current ride height:

Drivers right side:

Left Side passenger:

Last edited by Diesel350; 06-05-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:14 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

I measured both fenders from the ground up and they are exactly the same height on both sides.
then it has to be bushing sag somewhere.......

My current ride height:

Drivers right side:

Left Side passenger:

okay so you cant remove the outside most bolts and slide the plate outward more to get more camber if you drop lower? i bet you can and the alignment tech just didnt want to mess with it anymore.???

-J
Old 06-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Diesel350

then it has to be bushing sag somewhere.......

okay so you cant remove the outside most bolts and slide the plate outward more to get more camber if you drop lower? i bet you can and the alignment tech just didnt want to mess with it anymore.???

-J
I don't know. does it look like I can slide the plate out more from the pics in order to bring the camber in a bit more?

Last edited by Diesel350; 06-05-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
tumzilla

can my gf210 springs make my car floaty/loose rear end on the highway? can it be a combination or worn rear tires/springs? i just got my car aligned and what could cause my brake to squeal only when turning in reverse?

Last edited by tumzilla; 06-07-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by tumzilla
can my gf210 springs make my car floaty/loose rear end on the highway? can it be a combination or worn rear tires/springs?
sounds more like the oem shocks are out......and the car is just bouncing/floating on the springs.....

Originally Posted by tumzilla
i just got my car aligned and what could cause my brake to squeal only when turning in reverse?
post up your alignment sheet then.....
and squealing in reverse is fine.........99% of the time the car travels forward and the pads wear to that direction.......when you reverse, you can get a squeal because usually pads are not warmed up in any typical reverse maneuver and your going in an opposite than the typical direction so a squeal permits.....

the only squeal you need to be weary of is when the noise makers on the pads are making metal on metal contact and your pads are worn down thin....

-J
Old 06-08-2010, 03:50 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

I don't know. does it look like I can slide the plate out more from the pics in order to bring the camber in a bit more?
NO it doesnt....

see i just installed some ichibas this past weekend.....and was not super pleased with them.......

if you would take a picture of the top part of that mount you will see that the circular section is topped out at the edge of the ichiba "doctors pill" slot, so there is no more greater adjustment you can do.

-J
Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Diesel350

NO it doesnt....

see i just installed some ichibas this past weekend.....and was not super pleased with them.......

if you would take a picture of the top part of that mount you will see that the circular section is topped out at the edge of the ichiba "doctors pill" slot, so there is no more greater adjustment you can do.

-J
Yeah I am a bit disappointed because I wanted to go lower eventually and wanted more adjustability. Guess I will have to sell them and get another camber arm. Any suggestions? SPL?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Yeah I am a bit disappointed because I wanted to go lower eventually and wanted more adjust ability. Guess I will have to sell them and get another camber arm. Any suggestions? SPL?
I run SPL's but I had to make more of my own shims........see my post#8........plus spl's just had a price hike........I wanted spl's because adjusting caster was something i wanted.......and I sure as hell wasnt gonna buy spc's....

the trials and tribulations of modding......sux but at least you can sell them off and get what you want.....

I would go lower and see where you end up at first and go from there...
-J
Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default Post here first!!! dont pm me......

Also, in general i get pm's asking different questions about suspension after people read this thread..............

please refrain from pm'ing me and post on this thread your questions so that everyone can be included and others that have the same questions can have their answers as well.

-J
Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
ROM350Z

Default true or oem style?

**** THIS POST 129 WAS A NEW THREAD THAT I MERGED TO THIS ONE**** - JASON

Im buying stance gr+ soon. Im debating on wether to go true type on the rear or OEM style in the rear. i cant decide which will be better for me. im not looking to slam the car but also not have any finger gap in the rear. i want to have the rear low to the point where theres no finger gap without any perch modification or ect... this car is daily driven and will occasionally be autox'd. i just want to know whats better to go with. im running wider wheels and tires too btw.

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 06-13-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: MERGED THREAD.

Quick Reply: Suspension 101