Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

ACTUAL 350z coilovers! - pic thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Jade@Ksportusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
Let's say street tyres. Like Dunlop Direzza, Pilot Sports, Invo, etc.
If you are going with a basic street tire then the basic out of the box set per manufacture would be the best set up.

If you were setting it up for something little more specific then it would be easier to go into more detail. But 99% of people are happy with the out of box set ups manufactures have and recommend.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jade@Ksportusa
If you are going with a basic street tire then the basic out of the box set per manufacture would be the best set up.

If you were setting it up for something little more specific then it would be easier to go into more detail. But 99% of people are happy with the out of box set ups manufactures have and recommend.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I'd recommend hyperco 3000lb in the front and 2500lb in the rear. That'll get the job done.
Daym. lol

I was just wondering how much is too much for any regular street tyres.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zdj

I was just wondering how much is too much for any regular street tyres.
regular street tires I wouldn't go over the normal 10k front and 8k rear , if your running really sticky stuff like RS3, Star Specs you can do a 12k front and 10k rear.

From there Aero and tire combos really start to change the rates. Typically you want the softest springs and dampening for the most traction. Stiffer the spring, the less traction you have.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets2.html start reading, it will help you out a lot. Much of the info carries over from autocross to the road course.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
regular street tires I wouldn't go over the normal 10k front and 8k rear , if your running really sticky stuff like RS3, Star Specs you can do a 12k front and 10k rear.

From there Aero and tire combos really start to change the rates. Typically you want the softest springs and dampening for the most traction. Stiffer the spring, the less traction you have.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets2.html start reading, it will help you out a lot. Much of the info carries over from autocross to the road course.
You sir are awesome !
Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Any update to the PBM review?

Anymore KW3 true type reviews?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
joshie3.5.0.z

so i need some help, im looking for some coils the only ones i could seem to find that are in my price range are megan track coils , tein basics , stance super sport ss D coilovers,

does any one know which one of these will give me the most drop and stiffness? ive doing research and cant really find info on them
Old 09-17-2012, 11:14 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I would say stance over the other two choices...

What are you going to use them for?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by joshie3.5.0.z
so i need some help, im looking for some coils the only ones i could seem to find that are in my price range are megan track coils , tein basics , stance super sport ss D coilovers,

does any one know which one of these will give me the most drop and stiffness? ive doing research and cant really find info on them
Why do you need the lowest and stiffest?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM
joshie3.5.0.z

wanna slamm my car very low and im running whide rims so i dont wanna ruin them with soft damping , and i also plan on tracking the car once in a while (not a track junkie)
Originally Posted by KingBaby
I would say stance over the other two choices...

What are you going to use them for?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

D2 is another option. For some reason, the Z/G community doesn't like them, but everyone I know thta has'em (self included) likes'em. I know a couple of G's and a buddy with a Z running them. And in other import communities, they get high reviews. As for lowness, you can literally lay frame on the ground. My car is mostly a street cruiser, but I drift my G on occassion and haven't had issue. If you really want to do some more track time, I don't think I'd recommend them, but for what I wanted to do, they're GGGGGGGGGGGGGGREAT.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 PM
rocooper45

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joshie3.5.0.z
wanna slamm my car very low and im running whide rims so i dont wanna ruin them with soft damping , and i also plan on tracking the car once in a while (not a track junkie)
Maybe it is just me but slamming is for low and slow and requires severe negative camber the wears tires on the inside. Tracing requires a small amount of negative camber and stiff spring rates with sufficient height to avoid bottoming out the car?

Stance makes a GR+ true coil overs that I use; bought them with two sets of coil springs, 10/5 and 14/7, that let's me swap for competition use.

Last edited by rocooper45; 11-23-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Buster FL

Originally Posted by terrasmak

THANK YOU....
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by driftsucky
D2 is another option. For some reason, the Z/G community doesn't like them, but everyone I know thta has'em (self included) likes'em. I know a couple of G's and a buddy with a Z running them. And in other import communities, they get high reviews. As for lowness, you can literally lay frame on the ground. My car is mostly a street cruiser, but I drift my G on occassion and haven't had issue. If you really want to do some more track time, I don't think I'd recommend them, but for what I wanted to do, they're GGGGGGGGGGGGGGREAT.
I love my D2's. Don't sacrifice any comfort compared to OEM ride quality. I think they'd be fine for the track as long as you have sways and some other suspension mods
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 AM
tacksforsnacks7

I'm gonna bump this thread, because I just installed my Racelands. I also apologize for the large pictures.

Name:  photo5.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  252.5 KB
They are a McPherson conversion, so the rears are a true coilover.
(and, of course, I forgot to take a picture of the rears so I will update this post later today).

Name:  IMG_1266.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  144.3 KB

The rears don't go that low. I have about a half inch of coils left, but I think I may purchase a shorter spring.

Name:  IMG_1267.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  157.1 KB

The fronts go very low. I could sit the rails on the ground if I wanted to. I have about an inch and a half more and only about an inch between my bumper and the ground.

Name:  IMG_1273.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  137.5 KB

Name:  80199a02-92a9-45f4-b67b-82dea190c8da.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  175.0 KB

I'm pretty sunk, but that will change soon. I also need an alignment.

They are also 12kg front and 7kg rear as far as spring rates go.

In my opinion these are a good stiffness for daily use. I've driven in Jettas and other VW's with Racelands and they do not feel how those do. In my experience, Racelands have been known to feel Civic-like, but these DO NOT at all feel like that. Instead, they make the car handle like it is on rails with little body roll, while still being relatively forgiving. While large bumps and potholes are obstacles, but that is not out of line for the average coilover setup. The only disadvantage is the lack of dampening adjustablility, which is understandably important to many people. Personally, I feel that that would be vital on a more track oriented setup, but for daily use, you can get by without it.

I will go out on a limb and say that these would rival the Stance setup barring the dampening adjustablility, of which the Racelands currently lack. I have a friend that has Stance coils installed on a G35 and the stiffness and ride is about the same. The rears of the Stance definitely go lower, but I would like to see if shorter rear springs make a difference on the Racelands. I will explore that and keep everyone updated. And at $500, half the price of what the Stance go for, it is a solid option if your short on money, want your Z low, but don't want to blow out your OEM shocks with lowering springs. I'm ultimately happy with them.

Also, first post
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could anyone help me identify these please?

The seller says it's "HKS Hipermax LS+ adjustable suspension" but just to clarify
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
Mine do not have the gold hat either. so i assume they use the factory spring mount? in all pics i dont see the spring mount used but when spring installed without spring mount the spring in the bucket is loose (of course it wont be when unler load) but cant be good loose.
SO question: Use stock rubber spring mount on new BC BR versions?
Would like to know this answer as well. Installed the BC BR Coils and I ran into an issue for raising the rear up. Seems the spring is to loose and as I use the spanner wrench to try and raise it up the whole spring just rotates instead.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM
kyle22

^^^NVM, found the issue. Used my car jack to jack up the spring bucket to tighten the load as I raised the car. I only raised it from the Spring and didn't touch the shock, should I tweak the shock as well? the car seems to bounce more in the back instead of being stiff/tight as I was expecting.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:12 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle22
^^^NVM, found the issue. Used my car jack to jack up the spring bucket to tighten the load as I raised the car. I only raised it from the Spring and didn't touch the shock, should I tweak the shock as well? the car seems to bounce more in the back instead of being stiff/tight as I was expecting.
You're adding more preload, so rebound is gonna be greater. See if adding more rebound to shock helps.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 PM
kyle22

Originally Posted by ronn1
You're adding more preload, so rebound is gonna be greater. See if adding more rebound to shock helps.
So if I raise the spring(preload) I should always raise the strut(rebound) to compensate and vice versa? By adding rebound you mean raise it right?

Last edited by kyle22; 06-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:55 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle22
So if I raise the spring(preload) I should always raise the strut(rebound) to compensate and vice versa? By adding rebound you mean raise it right?
I don't know about *always* here...but if it bounces a lot more, it's due to added spring preload and rebound force of the spring...so it would make sense to compensative with higher rebound settings (yes adding more rebound force to shock). Adding rebound to shock increases resistance to rebound of the spring and should reduce *bounce*. You have to be careful not to over due do rebound because it can lead to *jacking up* effect and cause car to skip over bumps.

Quick Reply: ACTUAL 350z coilovers! - pic thread!