Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

please help me with my brakes!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:48 AM
scsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me with my brakes!

I picked up an 03 yesterday and the passenger side front brakes squeak like crazy, they even make noise when I'm going in a straight line or turn, not even applying brakes. The seller picked up a Porsche about 4 months ago and stopped driving the Z, says it never made noise before, and only noticed the noises once he tried to sell the car. A friend suggests the rotors and pads need to be replaced. Anyone know what it could be exactly?

So I started looking into having rotors and pads replaced.This car is mainly just for street driving, though I would like to keep it legal for Stock class in SCCA Solo II just in case. Therefore, I'm looking for some OE replacement rotors and some decent pads to go with them. The Centric OEM Premium rotors (P/N 120...) seem like they'd be a good fit for me. Also looking for a good pad for just daily driving, and would that be different from if I plan to autox the car? I have had Hawk HPS and liked them, but haven't tried anything else.

Does my problem indicate that rotors/pads should be replaced or is there another option? Should I replace all rotors and pads? Or perhaps just all pads and just the front rotors? Any recommendations for what rotors and pads to go with in my situation?

Thanks!

Last edited by scsi; 07-29-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can look a brakes pads and generally tell if they need to be replaced.
For brake rotors I would have to measure.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 AM
*Boose*

What pads are they? depending on the pad, some squeel and it's normal.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 AM
scsi

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I believe the brake components are stock. I would look at the pads too but the seller didn't give me the key for the wheel locks and is currently looking for it lol..
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
scsi

so, going to have the locks removed by the dealership at the sellers expense tomorrow. i'll be able to actually look up close at the pads and rotor. anything i should look for in particular? i could tell if the pads are simply worn down, but otherwise wouldnt be sure what i'm looking at. one friend believes that the rotors are glazed, but i thought that usually happens after overheating. another friend suggests that it's just rust and after some driving it'll go away hmm.. im confident changing the rotors and pads will solve my problem, but i also figure i don't need to spend the extra money if it isnt necessary. anyone else have feedback on this? i really appreciate it!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A small mirror and flashlight will enable you to see the condition of the pads without taking the wheel off.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Xlr82x

just curious but when was the last time the car was washed? If its been a while then there could be break dust build causing the noise. Do you know when the last time the breaks were replaced?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah!!! My Silverado lives outside, gets driven frequently on dirt and gravel, and it hasn't been washed since 2004. The 4-wheel disc brakes don't make a sound.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 AM
scsi

the seller washed and cleaned it up right before i took delivery. in any case, i've decided on a new direction w/ my car and don't believe i will need to replace my rear rotors at all. the car will just be used for street driving. my plan now is to go with new front rotors and pads, and perhaps matching rear pads. i think hawk HPS are great stuff, but i don't need that kind of braking performance out of this car and would prefer to spend less money on that. the brakes on the car are quite good already, even with all the drama i'm getting from them at the moment. can anyone recommend some pads that are at least a little better than stock, but are low on noise and dust? hoping to spend a bit less than i would on HPS, but i guess i'd be willing to just go that route if the lower performance pads are not much cheaper. also, i'm thinking if i did go w/ higher performance stuff i'd wanna change pads all around to maintain proper balance, but with lower performance pads i'd probably be ok just replacing the front pads?

thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Sooner350

I'd measure the rotors just to make sure they do not need replacing. Have the mechanic at the Dealership look at them when you break the locking lugs loose.

You most likely should've done this before purchasing, but it sounds like your previous owner isn't a bad dude. If parts have to be replaced maybe he will meet you in the middle, but I doubt it post sale.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:59 PM
scsi

There are other issues with the car but the price reflected it's condition. Can I measure the rotors myself somehow?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 PM
DB350

ive found an easy way to measure how soon the rotors will need replacing is how "flush" the rotor surface is to the lip of the actual rotor... if that makes sense
Old 07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scsi
There are other issues with the car but the price reflected it's condition. Can I measure the rotors myself somehow?
Yes: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...icrometer.html
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
scsi

Took off the wheels today, after a quick look it appears the pad at the backside of the rotor is worn to the bar, and the front appears to have a little bit of meat left. The front rotors on both sides have a small lip at the outer most edge. I originally thought just change the front pads and rotors, but my dad says because the back pad is worn morn than the front, it could mean a bad caliper like the piston could be seized?? What u guys think?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
scsi

Took off the wheels today, after a quick look it appears the pad at the backside of the rotor is worn to the bar, and the front appears to have a little bit of meat left. The front rotors on both sides have a small lip at the outer most edge. I originally thought just change the front pads and rotors, but my dad says because the back pad is worn morn than the front, it could mean a bad caliper like the piston could be seized?? What u guys think?