Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Finally installed new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:48 PM
Lug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally installed new suspension

It's been months in the making but I finally started the installation of my new suspension.

It took about six hours to install just the front suspension:

Bilstein Pss10 Coilovers
Cusco Upper Control Arms
(reinstalled) Hotchkis Swaybars with McMaster collars
(reinstalled) Powergrid Endlinks

I'm currently on 10 (the stiffest setting) with the Coilovers. The ride is actually more comfortable then my old worn out oem coilvers. I was expecting a harsher ride then OEM at 10. It's a stiff ride but by no means bad.

I had to remove my hotchkis swaybars and powergrid endlinks to avoid nissan pulling the modified suspension card on me. I had nissan replace my rack and pinion six weeks ago. It started leaking and they had to replace it again. To be on the safe side I removed the mod'ed parts and reinstalled them tonight.

I'm going to install the rear suspension tomorrow and tweak the front height and stiffness.

Last edited by Lug; 05-23-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:27 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Looks like a clean install with quality parts. Congrats! Once you finish getting the ride height settled, don't forget to take it to a good alignment shop for a fresh four-wheel alignment.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Back off the coilover adjustment off, you never want to start at full stiff
Old 05-25-2015, 12:03 AM
Lug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't get to installing the rear suspension today. I wasted to much time playing with ride height and ride stiffness.

I raised the coilovers by 3 threads and played with the stiffness settings from 10, to 7, to 5 to 3.

Raising the coilovers by 3 threads didn't raise the car much (first time adjusting a coilover - ya I'm a nub). See the second photo from the top, I basically doubled the threads showing at the bottom of the adjuster. I need to take pictures of my car for those that say these Bilsteins Pss10's don't go low enough. At my current settings I cant see the top of my tires, and I just raised it... I'm going to keep adjusting it higher and higher until I find that sweet spot were I can clear curbs but still look and drive well.

Adjusting the stiffness from hard (10) to soft (3) didn't make the car mushy as I feared it would. The ride is still stiff, but absorbs the bumps in the road a little better. The ride is slightly more comfortable as advertized. The ride in general, at any setting, is much better then the OEM ride. I should have upgraded to Bilstein Pss10's years ago.

I'm shooting for installing the rear suspension next weekend. Once I install my Tien tie rod ends and complete all the suspension work (I may install whiteline bushings in the rear) I'll take it and have it aligned.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:18 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats, enjoy them.