MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Don't actually need BIG BRAKES just want the look (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/606289-dont-actually-need-big-brakes-just-want-the-look.html)

UZ_ 08-30-2015 09:08 AM

Don't actually need BIG BRAKES just want the look

Hey everyone, so my z is a daily driver and not a track car. I frankly have no use for $3000 brakes. I need good brakes but not racing brakes, the only reason I want Brembos or AP's is because I think the look of those bright yellow or red calipers is beautiful. Do caliper covers look cheesy or like the real deal? And is there a way to get nicer and better looking brakes without paying an arm and a leg?

Edit: Caliper Covers aren't happening under any circumstances

MicVelo 08-30-2015 09:12 AM

Put on your Nomex.

WPPJR30 08-30-2015 09:14 AM

Buy the stock Brembo or Akebono kit. Cheaper than an aftermarket BBK and MUCH better than covers.

UZ_ 08-30-2015 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by MicVelo (Post 10645491)
Put on your Nomex.

lol go ahead and roast me. It's just a matter of fact, I'm a student and I'm saving money right now and trying to save as much as I can. I would like to make these brakes work or at least get the look without dropping tons of money, if it can't happen then I will wait.

UZ_ 08-30-2015 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by WPPJR30 (Post 10645494)
Buy the stock Brembo or Akebono kit. Cheaper than an aftermarket BBK and MUCH better than covers.

To get a stock Brembo kit that would be the brakes that come off the Grand Touring? So I would have to buy them used? I suppose repainting the calipers is a good project I could always have fun with :thumbup:

dkmura 08-30-2015 10:49 AM

the stock Brembos came on both the track and grand touring Z33 models. You'll find them on the classified boards here or other places. They are the real deal and are available (used) for way less than $3K. Caliper covers not only look cheesy, but ARE cheesy. They'll earn you plenty of distain from enthusiasts once you park your car.

UZ_ 08-30-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10645511)
the stock Brembos came on both the track and grand touring Z33 models. You'll find them on the classified boards here or other places. They are the real deal and are available (used) for way less than $3K. Caliper covers not only look cheesy, but ARE cheesy. They'll earn you plenty of distain from enthusiasts once you park your car.

That's exactly all I needed to know. I've never heard of caliper covers before so I didn't know what the deal was. Thanks

craig12895 08-30-2015 10:54 AM

On top of the fact that caliper covers are extremely overpriced. Real brembo brakes are not too far away from what the calipers cost. And yes, painting them before you install would be easy to do

UZ_ 08-30-2015 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by craig12895 (Post 10645515)
On top of the fact that caliper covers are extremely overpriced. Real brembo brakes are not too far away from what the calipers cost. And yes, painting them before you install would be easy to do

Saw them on eBay for like $15. Caliper covers are out of the question at this point though. Brembo calipers seem to be about $800 for four (used). When it comes to brake changes, rotors and pads, how much is the brake change going to run me? Will any rotor/pad work with the new calipers? Will I have to change my lines when I install the new Calipers?

I'm trying to make sure that I can afford the brembos and the maintenance costs.

MicVelo 08-30-2015 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by UZ_ (Post 10645505)
lol go ahead and roast me. It's just a matter of fact, I'm a student and I'm saving money right now and trying to save as much as I can. I would like to make these brakes work or at least get the look without dropping tons of money, if it can't happen then I will wait.

I hear ya, man, note I didn't say anything one way or the other.... just a warning that there are others here not so kind. :icon17:

Me? Kind? Hell hath frozen over! ;)

dkmura 08-30-2015 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by UZ_ (Post 10645520)
Saw them on eBay for like $15. Caliper covers are out of the question at this point though. Brembo calipers seem to be about $800 for four (used). When it comes to brake changes, rotors and pads, how much is the brake change going to run me? Will any rotor/pad work with the new calipers? Will I have to change my lines when I install the new Calipers?

I'm trying to make sure that I can afford the brembos and the maintenance costs.

Caliper covers are non-functional cosmetic junk. The Brembo option on 350Zs included larger brake rotors (12.67" vented fronts and 12.1" solid rears) and it's worth buying new ones to go with fresh pads. Swap out your old rubber lines for new stainless ones and change out your brake fluid for fresh DOT4 fluid at the same time.

It doesn't sound as though you're used to working on cars, so you might want to study the DIY section to prepare for it. This is a medium level project and might be the perfect one to get your hands dirty with!

jhc 08-30-2015 12:33 PM

If you like the look, why not just rattle-can spray the color. Super cheap, and you have the brake look you want. ftw.

UZ_ 08-30-2015 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10645527)
Caliper covers are non-functional cosmetic junk. The Brembo option on 350Zs included larger brake rotors (12.67" vented fronts and 12.1" solid rears) and it's worth buying new ones to go with fresh pads. Swap out your old rubber lines for new stainless ones and change out your brake fluid for fresh DOT4 fluid at the same time.

It doesn't sound as though you're used to working on cars, so you might want to study the DIY section to prepare for it. This is a medium level project and might be the perfect one to get your hands dirty with!

No I'm not but I have done some repairs that just required lots of research before I went in to them (replaced my front axle on my honda accord).

Working on cars is something I love but I don't know much yet so I'm always ready to read, watch videos or someone else do it, and work to get better at!

If you have any useful info regarding brakes you want to send me I'll read it all! Also if you know of anywhere I can go to learn about cars and specifically z's that would be awesome!!

verdict. 08-30-2015 02:32 PM

Save your money and get the real thing or don't do it at all.

UZ_ 08-30-2015 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10645534)
If you like the look, why not just rattle-can spray the color. Super cheap, and you have the brake look you want. ftw.

That's actually a great idea. If they don't come out ok, well then I buy the brembo or similar brand calipers and waste $20 on spraypaint. If they work then **** I just saved $780 (minimum). When spray painting are there any parts i need to cover or watch out for? I would imagine the piston can't get paint on it.

striker27 08-31-2015 05:15 PM

Get the caliper covers!! All you want is the LOOK!!!!

jhc 08-31-2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by striker27 (Post 10646216)
Get the caliper covers!! All you want is the LOOK!!!!

Ah, No.

UZ_ 09-01-2015 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by jhc
Ah, No.

Yeah no. After more research I found out how shitty and cheesy looking they are. I'm going to either go with akibonos (since they are cheaper than brembos) or just paint the stock ones. I almost want to paint them more than I want the akibonos because there's nothing I love more than not spending money (or spending as little as possible) and painting them seems like a fun project because I can do literally whatever color I want so the options are limitless.

350zchad 09-01-2015 12:58 AM

If you dont have money for brakes maybe get an old civic since you are in school.

Buy a car and mod it when you can afford it.

Get some soy sauce if you want rice.

StevSam 09-01-2015 01:25 AM

BOOM!!! lol jk :icon38:

But yes, save your money and get quality :thumbup: