Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

06 Z and hotchkis springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:00 AM
Mudchicken

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 06 Z and hotchkis springs

I don't want to lower my Z a crazy amount. I am looking for a little bit more of an aggressive stance. Yes I have searched and no I didn't find anything specific for the 06+.

I wanted to pull the trigger on Hotchkis and Koni Yellows and front and rear sways but have found that the rear spring rates are less on the Hotchkis than the stock 06. My question is will this affect the way the Z handles in a bad way? The last thing I want to do is go backwards. If I do this I want it to handle much better than factory. This is not my daily and I would love to get to the track at some point possibly. Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Mudchicken

Anyone offer up some help on this?
Old 12-20-2016, 05:20 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudchicken
I don't want to lower my Z a crazy amount. I am looking for a little bit more of an aggressive stance. Yes I have searched and no I didn't find anything specific for the 06+.

I wanted to pull the trigger on Hotchkis and Koni Yellows and front and rear sways but have found that the rear spring rates are less on the Hotchkis than the stock 06. My question is will this affect the way the Z handles in a bad way? The last thing I want to do is go backwards. If I do this I want it to handle much better than factory. This is not my daily and I would love to get to the track at some point possibly. Thanks in advance!!
You'll be very happy with the combination. One of the things one shouldn't do is to necessarily compare the spring rates. Its a guideline, yes, but there's more to it than just how stiff the springs are (or aren't.)

Hotchkis (along with Eibach, Tein, the big players, etc.), to set them slightly apart from the generics, actually engineer and test their setups. Yes, it's possible that with the way they've set up their front springs, a slight drop in rate on the rear was needed to take out any tail happiness by reducing rear roll stiffness. (Just speculating, but were I running their test program, this wouldn't be out of the question.)

Combine this spring set with a set of their adjustable bars and you've got a pretty competent street/track setup. Enough to handle anything on the street and the needed adjustability at the shocks and bars to tune for track type and conditions.

Hard to go wrong with this combination. FWIW, I run this setup but with Eibach ProKit springs. Pretty close in function and form.

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-20-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Mudchicken

Thanks for the info. I have been digging some more and think I may do RSR Springs with koni sports and Hotchkis sways front and rear. I guess I'll have to just give it a shot and see what I think.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

S tech
RSR
swift

No particular order , but one of them would be my pick.
The following users liked this post:
Mudchicken (12-21-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 07:52 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudchicken
Thanks for the info. I have been digging some more and think I may do RSR Springs with koni sports and Hotchkis sways front and rear. I guess I'll have to just give it a shot and see what I think.
Sure, heard good things about the RSR.

Originally Posted by terrasmak
S tech
RSR
swift

No particular order , but one of them would be my pick.
Like I said....

I don't have specific experience with the RSR set but if terrasmak likes 'em (along with the Tein S and Spec-R-which I installed on my son's car with Bilsteins), why not?

Springs - despite the engineering that goes into a good set - are the least sophisticated - and therefore least nit-picky - component in a STREET set up. Good set of shocks to control the springs has a lot more impact, along with good alignment and balancing out roll stiffness to suit your driving habits.

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-20-2016 at 07:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mudchicken (12-21-2016)