Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Black rotors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:28 PM
the rook

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Black rotors??

Looking to upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors. I want to go to black mainly for esthetics. I found some reasonably affordable ones made by EBC. I won't spend an arm and a leg. I don't track yet and won't but a couple times a year in the future. I'd like something that won't lose the black color at contact point of the pads.
Hoping to get some opinions and other options. Pics would be cool.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 07:35 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Hate to tell you this rook, but rotors are not built for looks. Whether it's EBC or another brand, the first time you apply the brakes and the friction material on your brake pads contacts the surface of your rotors, any coating on the surface of the rotors will begin wearing away. There are no other options, period.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:43 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Old 03-26-2017, 07:50 PM
the rook

So then I want the black zinc rotors to wear off at the contact point....... okay.
Thanks.

Out of curiosity, are you aware of any black rotors that are designed to function while keeping the color?

And while I have you here.... I'm not too knowledgeable on rotors at all. I usually buy mid range performance parts and stay away from ebay stuff. Are there huge differences in higher end date rotors and the eBay zinc ones? I'm aware of the importance of stopping. Lol. But are there different zinc rotor metallic blends that effect price point and performance?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:52 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by the rook
So then I want the black zinc rotors to wear off at the contact point....... okay.
Thanks.

Out of curiosity, are you aware of any black rotors that are designed to function while keeping the color?

And while I have you here.... I'm not too knowledgeable on rotors at all. I usually buy mid range performance parts and stay away from ebay stuff. Are there huge differences in higher end date rotors and the eBay zinc ones? I'm aware of the importance of stopping. Lol. But are there different zinc rotor metallic blends that effect price point and performance?
Let's clarify something here... "Zinc" has nothing to do with the metallurgy that goes into brake rotors nor does it have any effect on braking performance. Zinc is a coating applied to rotors to prevent (or at least slow) the oxidation from occurring. And that's it.

OK, there's a few points that distinguish a "good performing rotor" to a bad one:

1. The quality of the steel used. This may seem rudimentary as "metal is metal", right? BZZZT! Not. Basic economy rotors are made from scrap metal. That alone says something. Rotors made from scrap ("recycled") metals tend to be inconsistent in their manufacture and are more prone to warpage, breakage, and offer low performance braking. This is all attributable to the quality of steel used in the first place.

2. Cooling - OEM or better quality rotors are able to more effectively and efficiently convert kinetic energy (movement) into thermal energy (heat) and shed that heat so that the process can be repeated over and over.

This aspect comes from two things: Again, the quality of the steel used to produce it and the design of the rotor. Cheap rotors are cheap for a reason. They can be produced very cheaply because they scrimp on design. They make the surface thicknesses thinner and the internal ventilation very thick and typically with less cooling vanes.

The result is a brake rotor that meets overall thickness requirements to meet "OEM requirements"; but with an internal design that was designed to cut costs and thereby diminish performance.

Bottom line: the cheap ones work.... but for how long? A set of rotors that wears out prematurely or warps because of inadequate cooling capacity is hardly what I would call value.

Stick with known entities and you'll be fine.

Won't get into the whole "blank" vs "drilled" vs "slotted" argument. Suffice to say that I have my opinion on this matter but for all intents, not worth arguing this point here.

So, while brake rotors seem pretty basic in design, just know that you do "get what you pay for" when it comes to the components of your car's anchors.
The following 3 users liked this post by MicVelo:
dkmura (03-27-2017), Spike100 (03-27-2017), zakmartin (03-29-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:12 PM
the rook

Man thanks for the complete answer to my questions. Much appreciated as always Mic.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

The vast majority of brake rotors are made of cast iron and they will all wear away so the swept area will always be silver. Unless you went to carbon ceramic you won't change the color of the swept area.

I would stick to blank or slotted rotors only. Drilled rotors are just trading function for form. They may ok on the street but you are increasing the chances of a cracked rotor.

Stoptech, Centric, EBC, and DBA are all good rotor manufacturers.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 AM
the rook

Originally Posted by dkmura
Hate to tell you this rook, but rotors are not built for looks. Whether it's EBC or another brand, the first time you apply the brakes and the friction material on your brake pads contacts the surface of your rotors, any coating on the surface of the rotors will begin wearing away. There are no other options, period.
Thank you. I wasn't sure if there was or not. Glad to get the feedback.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 AM
the rook

Originally Posted by rancor
The vast majority of brake rotors are made of cast iron and they will all wear away so the swept area will always be silver. Unless you went to carbon ceramic you won't change the color of the swept area.

I would stick to blank or slotted rotors only. Drilled rotors are just trading function for form. They may ok on the street but you are increasing the chances of a cracked rotor.

Stoptech, Centric, EBC, and DBA are all good rotor manufacturers.
As a matter of fact ebc makes a slotted non drilled rotor in my price range that is zinc coated black. I suppose I can live with the contact area being silver
Old 03-27-2017, 05:17 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The only discs that i can think of that are black, well more grey/charcoal are carbon brakes, not carbon ceramic, carbon. they'd keep their color but you'd find them about as usesful as liquorice brake discs as you'd never be able to generate enough heat for them to work efficiently. They look great when you do generate enough heat though as they glow red from 1200 degree celcius of heat. Plus the cost per corner would probably come close to the cost of the car and the pads have to be matched to the rotors and as far as i know are only run on Formula 1 cars. I know this is a pointless post, I'm just answering your question about aesthetics and just confirms what everyone else is saying about rotors and that is that you'll lose the color on the rotors. Just go for good quality, personally I really rate DBA
Old 03-27-2017, 05:43 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MicVelo
The result is a brake rotor that meets overall thickness requirements to meet "OEM requirements"; but with an internal design that was designed to cut costs and thereby diminish performance.
If you are not tracking the car or doing mountain runs I wouldn't be too worried. Even "cheap" OEM-like rotors are fine for daily driving. With that said I would NOT be going to eBay looking for rotors. Just stick with proven manufacturers.

For example Centric makes perfectly fine low-cost rotors, in fact they also make StopTechs. They reduce costs by mainly avoiding the whole brand name / advertising mark up charge. I've been running Centric slotted on the track for two years now... no warping or any other issues. And I beat the crap out of those things.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
The only discs that i can think of that are black, well more grey/charcoal are carbon brakes, not carbon ceramic, carbon. they'd keep their color but you'd find them about as usesful as liquorice brake discs as you'd never be able to generate enough heat for them to work efficiently. They look great when you do generate enough heat though as they glow red from 1200 degree celcius of heat. Plus the cost per corner would probably come close to the cost of the car and the pads have to be matched to the rotors and as far as i know are only run on Formula 1 cars. I know this is a pointless post, I'm just answering your question about aesthetics and just confirms what everyone else is saying about rotors and that is that you'll lose the color on the rotors. Just go for good quality, personally I really rate DBA
This is basically what I was going to post. Plus once you see the cost, you will wish you never looked. If you like the black look, at least most will stay black with Zinc. Stay away from the autozone gold black rotors. Unless you are very proficient in break in procedure you won't be happy with brake noise and pedal feel. 90% of the ones I sold, came back, even after instructions were given for break in.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
This is basically what I was going to post. Plus once you see the cost, you will wish you never looked. If you like the black look, at least most will stay black with Zinc. Stay away from the autozone gold black rotors. Unless you are very proficient in break in procedure you won't be happy with brake noise and pedal feel. 90% of the ones I sold, came back, even after instructions were given for break in.
Gotta call BS on this one. Repeating: the zinc coating is for rust protection only and the friction surface on any steel rotor will soon be cleaned of it. Only the hat and edges will retain any black color, and the OP wanted an all-black look.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Gotta call BS on this one. Repeating: the zinc coating is for rust protection only and the friction surface on any steel rotor will soon be cleaned of it. Only the hat and edges will retain any black color, and the OP wanted an all-black look.
I suspect that Rusty's comment meant that the rest of the rotor aside from the friction surface will stay "a brake dusty shade of black". Heh heh.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Want black rotors, get carbon brakes - simple as that.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 AM
the rook

Well awesome. I got a lot more info than I expected out of the thread. Now to price shop the good brands. Lol
Old 03-28-2017, 07:27 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains
Want black rotors, get carbon brakes - simple as that.
And have fun warming those puppies to op temp when you're running late for work on a cold morning.

Not to mention the requisite carbon brake pads to make them work at their highest efficiency.

A problem with carbon brakes on the street is that they wear faster with stop n' go type application. Carbon brakes wear less under full force applications than the intermittent, low force stopping in traffic. Just like 22,000 setting coilovers, this is race shid, a waste on anything else unless you're a landing 747 or driving a Mercedes F1 W08, Lewis.

On that note.... Ferrari over Mercedes down under. Oh yeeaaaah.....
The following users liked this post:
CK_32 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I'm still out-of-my-mind pissed at NBCSN. I couldn't watch the race live, so I used their iPad app. Right on the front page of the "replay" section they have "Vettel Wins in Australia". REally, you stupid motherf'ers, you couldn't have let me watch the race without knowing how it ended? Next time I guess I'll have to get my wife to start the stream for me.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:21 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains
I'm still out-of-my-mind pissed at NBCSN. I couldn't watch the race live, so I used their iPad app. Right on the front page of the "replay" section they have "Vettel Wins in Australia". REally, you stupid motherf'ers, you couldn't have let me watch the race without knowing how it ended? Next time I guess I'll have to get my wife to start the stream for me.
The racing equivalent to "GIANTS WIN SERIES IN GAME 7" displayed during "The Price Is Right".

Stop before you start, anti-Giants fans... I only used that because they're my hometown team. I really couldn't care less. Laff...
Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
lol womp womp..

I feel bad for the guys who either refuse to break them in or accidentally lose the color and say hey! My black rotors are gone!!