Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Spacers making Steering Wheel Shake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:12 PM
BrookZee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

factory torque spec at 85 is typical for many vehicles but I'm wondering, would the proper torque change if different wheels or lug nuts were used? I notice on some Toyota trucks that come with an option of steel or aluminum wheels the recommended torque is different by like 40 ft-lbs depending on which factory wheels it has.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:20 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by BrookZee
factory torque spec at 85 is typical for many vehicles but I'm wondering, would the proper torque change if different wheels or lug nuts were used? I notice on some Toyota trucks that come with an option of steel or aluminum wheels the recommended torque is different by like 40 ft-lbs depending on which factory wheels it has.
That's actually quite a good question. What we did in the shop was look up the specs for each car that happened to be on the rack and went according to what the DB told us. In this case, I'd venture to say that it's going to be the same for any wheel bolted up to a Z since ALL Z wheels were/are aluminum.

That, and the fact that the determining factors for "required torque" lay equally in the fastening gear (lug nuts, studs) and what they're fastening to (hub) as much as to the wheel itself.

But interesting... maybe one of our resident tire tech people can shed some more appropriate light on this?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 PM
BrookZee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
That's actually quite a good question. What we did in the shop was look up the specs for each car that happened to be on the rack and went according to what the DB told us. In this case, I'd venture to say that it's going to be the same for any wheel bolted up to a Z since ALL Z wheels were/are aluminum.

That, and the fact that the determining factors for "required torque" lay equally in the fastening gear (lug nuts, studs) and what they're fastening to (hub) as much as to the wheel itself.

But interesting... maybe one of our resident tire tech people can shed some more appropriate light on this?
Thousands of cars with aftermarket wheel setups being torqued everyday and ive never heard of a problem with them. Shop I work at always went by the book regardless of the wheel/lug-nut also. I got curious anyways. This could apply to far more than just wheels too. More torque sensitive components for example like aftermarket pulleys clutches etc.