MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Can you mix spring setup front and back? (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/617241-can-you-mix-spring-setup-front-and-back.html)

savedbygrace 09-12-2017 12:04 AM

Can you mix spring setup front and back?

Wondering if I could run SWIFT Spec-R springs in front but use stock springs in rear? Why?...to raise the rear back up a bit...car sits too low in the back...want to raise just a little but don't want to deal with the cost and hassle of going to coilovers.

I have Spec-R's now, and they're great, better than stock, but I really want to raise the car back up a little if it won't create some weird handling or unsafe handling as a daily driver. Car is never tracked, just a daily that is a lot of fun to drive.

Thanks for your input guys,

Saved

Spike100 09-12-2017 03:35 PM

Are you willing to post some pictures of your car with the SWIFT Spec-R springs you now have mounted on the rear?

That would help diagnosing the problem and accomplishing a solution to your problem.

--Spike

dkmura 09-12-2017 04:28 PM

Running a stiffer spring up front and a softer spring out back will create a car that understeers heavily. Not a setup to recommend under any circumstance.

savedbygrace 09-12-2017 10:11 PM

Thanks dkmura.

Is there a rear spring that is similar to the SWIFT Spec-R's but a little taller? I don't want the drop in the rear anymore...looks a little too low for my taste but the car drives much nicer than stock. Best springs I've ever tried for daily driving.

terrasmak 09-12-2017 10:26 PM

Stack a spring mount isolator in place. If you add 1/8 inch at the spring, it will give you almost 1/4 inch at the wheel.

savedbygrace 09-12-2017 10:39 PM

So there is such a thing...?...I wondered if there is some kind of spacer for springs....

How does one go about this? What I mean is do you know of a good one to use (are there bad ones?)....and are there different sized ones? I assume they mount on the bottom of the spring in the cup? The top wraps around that rubber inverted-pylon looking thing...forget the name of that.

Thanks sincerely....definitely want to go this route...just not sure of the details yet...any extra info would be greatly appreciated

terrasmak 09-12-2017 10:50 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...MobileSwitchNo

Look around and measure.

savedbygrace 09-12-2017 11:05 PM

You just won the 350z merit badge for online awesome.

Thank you....didn't want to give up the Spec-Rs in the back...this should be perfect once I find the right size....cheap too! Finally something about the Z doesn't cost more than I want to spend heh

Thanks again,

Saved

savedbygrace 09-12-2017 11:25 PM

Wait...just found this YouTube video on the product and I'm wondering if there's some confusion?

It seems the spring mount isolator REPLACES the top spring mount? That alone creates a little bit of drop....I need to add height, not add drop...

Check this out..

I have Swift Spec-R's mounted to top spring mount now...but need to RAISE the car (caps just for emphasis)...the product you linked me to is for lowering the car by substituting the spring mount isolator in place of the top spring mount.

All help appreciated...and thanks again

terrasmak 09-13-2017 08:22 AM

If you add too it will raise, if you remove the stock isolator, then install the aftermarket it will lower.

savedbygrace 09-13-2017 11:01 PM

And "feels dumb" award goes to....

Thanks though sincerely. And real quick...some guys in a thread (the thread where I found the youtube video) were saying something about using an isolator created an unstable spring mount...that the spring somehow shifted on the isolator and came loose under load?....is that a possibility and if so what conditions contribute to that? I'm just a daily driver, but for obvious reasons want to just know the limits of any mod I make.

terrasmak 09-16-2017 10:47 AM

How much do you need to raise it, you got the concept, time to measure and figure out exactly what product you need to hit your goal.