MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Brake pad setups (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/617320-brake-pad-setups.html)

rizeld 09-21-2017 07:50 AM

Brake pad setups

Sup gents, sorry I haven't been around this year (not that anybody cares). Bought a house in Feb, and its drained me of $20k cash. not a lot of room for the track this year. buuuuttt...

Im going to squeeze in summit main next weekend. here's the question..

Currently running carbon tech xp 10 Front and xp 8 in the rear, oem blanks, 06 base non brembo, with 320 tread tires (nitto 555). I'm currently having some trouble with brake balancing (i think). On Summit main turn 1 and turn 5 and several turn on Shenandoah, the rear ABS is engaging some. But I generally don't get any ABS engagement in the front. Would anyone be opposed to trying to go up to XP 12 up front? Would that maybe balance this out? Thoughts, suggestions, and trolls GO!

yosip1115 09-21-2017 08:20 AM

When braking entering the corner or when accelerating through the corner?

rizeld 09-21-2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by yosip1115 (Post 10916331)
When braking entering the corner or when accelerating through the corner?

Entering. i haven't messed with trail braking yet

are you familiar with summit main? i currently brake at or in between markers 4/3 on turn 1. ive tried marker 3 before, but my current setup doesn't allow that. i pretty much barely make it. (which is probably where driving to max potential becomes involved, but im not ready to be at 100% all the time. id rather be at a safer 90%)

yosip1115 09-21-2017 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by rizeld (Post 10916342)
Entering. i haven't messed with trail braking yet

are you familiar with summit main? i currently brake at or in between markers 4/3 on turn 1. ive tried marker 3 before, but my current setup doesn't allow that. i pretty much barely make it. (which is probably where driving to max potential becomes involved, but im not ready to be at 100% all the time. id rather be at a safer 90%)

Unfortunately no I am not familiar. But I was thinking XP10 in rear to match the front so the rear has a bit less initial bite. There maybe other factors to consider, tire wear, weight distribution, etc. Any other thoughts on your end?

rizeld 09-21-2017 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by yosip1115 (Post 10916366)
Unfortunately no I am not familiar. But I was thinking XP10 in rear to match the front so the rear has a bit less initial bite. There maybe other factors to consider, tire wear, weight distribution, etc. Any other thoughts on your end?

Not sure. I can add more info.
Factory nismo suspension, hotchkins sways, full stiff up front, lowest in rear.
outside of that i dont know. I thought of your suggestion as well. A spec Miata buddy just through in the question of wheel alignment. Too much toe in under the brake load might make it go squirrely.

yosip1115 09-21-2017 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by rizeld (Post 10916393)
Not sure. I can add more info.
Factory nismo suspension, hotchkins sways, full stiff up front, lowest in rear.
outside of that i dont know. I thought of your suggestion as well. A spec Miata buddy just through in the question of wheel alignment. Too much toe in under the brake load might make it go squirrely.

I was thinking more like status of your vehicle, perhaps worn subframe or other rear bushings are a culprit. Honestly I will never modify or drive one of these cars hard and expect much of anything out of it until every bushing front and rear is replaced with poly/aluminum.

rizeld 09-22-2017 07:19 AM

non of the old timers or track stars got nothing for me!?

dkmura 09-22-2017 07:53 AM

While I have experience at Summit Point Raceway (SPR), it's been years since I raced there. More importantly, I've never used Carbotech and have no realistic suggestions on which compound to use. It sounds like you're going in deep enough at T1, as SPR has a long, undulating front straight and I bet you're seeing 130 MPH+ before threshold braking.

With that in mind, why not call Carbotech and get their suggestions? They'll be busy at the SCCA Runoffs at Indy next week, but their tech rep is who I'd hit up.

rizeld 09-22-2017 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10916512)
While I have experience at Summit Point Raceway (SPR), it's been years since I raced there. More importantly, I've never used Carbotech and have no realistic suggestions on which compound to use. It sounds like you're going in deep enough at T1, as SPR has a long, undulating front straight and I bet you're seeing 130 MPH+ before threshold braking.

With that in mind, why not call Carbotech and get their suggestions? They'll be busy at the SCCA Runoffs at Indy next week, but their tech rep is who I'd hit up.

Thanks dkmura! ya depending on T10 exit (and traffic), I see between 120-130 mph. That is an awesome idea, didn't even think about that. Ill send them an email today. Thanks bro