MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   help needed - reverse previous drop (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/617734-help-needed-reverse-previous-drop.html)

northern piper 11-02-2017 03:56 AM

help needed - reverse previous drop

Hi everyone

I am working on a 350z right now for a customer (I do independent work for several customers) who bought this car 2 years ago. It had what seems like a mish-mash of suspension parts put together to lower it. I'd say the 2 finger rule from top of tire to wheel well applies. The owner wants to return the car to a more stock ride height without spending a lot of money (always the way). Anyway, I've suggested a higher profile tire and perhaps replacing springs/shocks in all 4 corners. I've already replace front UCAs as the old ones were completely shot. I know there are a ton of suspension packages available but have thought perhaps something that allows for height adjustment may be the way to go.

I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

travlee 11-02-2017 04:08 AM

what springs are on the car? if you dont want to go back to oem, you could go with tein s-tech which is a very minimal drop

northern piper 11-02-2017 04:19 AM

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't honestly know what the springs are on this car. I don't have it in the shop now either so I can't take a pic. Compared to the specs this care has certainly been dropped so I doubt they'd be OEM but it's hard to say for sure. There is no repair/mod history available unfortunately. I'll take a look at the tein s-tech; I've seen them before but never used them. My big worry is that if I install them (or some other brand) that the ride height will not be altered much and the owner won't be happy - thus my interest in an adjustable design.

travlee 11-02-2017 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by northern piper (Post 10923935)
Thanks for your quick reply. I don't honestly know what the springs are on this car. I don't have it in the shop now either so I can't take a pic. Compared to the specs this care has certainly been dropped so I doubt they'd be OEM but it's hard to say for sure. There is no repair/mod history available unfortunately. I'll take a look at the tein s-tech; I've seen them before but never used them. My big worry is that if I install them (or some other brand) that the ride height will not be altered much and the owner won't be happy - thus my interest in an adjustable design.

all kinds of coilovers out there, just depends on what you want to spend

http://www.b2autodesigns.com/index.p...h=13_24_74_235

MicVelo 11-02-2017 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by northern piper (Post 10923935)

Well, "without a lot of money" method is likely going to preclude your using height adjustable coilovers. However, the lower cost Tein Basis units have gotten fair to good reviews here (for the latest model, which have evolved for many years). Can't speak to quality of build nor quality of ride other than others' assessments.

I'm not a big fan of coilovers myself, but they serve their purpose if one NEEDS the adjustability (height and jounce/rebound). My recommendation if one is looking for a good combination of "decent" ride and handling improvement, Bilstein B12 Prokit. Note I didn't say "softer riding" but, it is not bumpy and is "pleasantly firm" and the handling increase is orders of magnitude over most anything else. A pretty minimal lowering in the range of 15mm-19mm with this spring/shock setup. (With the Bilsteins as packaged, these springs lower 15mm, with other shocks, 19mm).

They are not adjustable for height. But don't need to be. My opinion: if anyone doesn't like these and thinks they're not comfortable nor doesn't contribute to a real increase in handling prowess, vis a vis stock suspension, is driving the wrong car and should be driving a Cadillac. Laff...