Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Purchase Nismo Suspension?

Old 11-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Question Purchase Nismo Suspension?

Hey all, I have a 2005 Anniversary Edition. It's my 4th car / Fun daily driver / HPDE car.

I'm looking to get a bit of suspension work and thought about getting a Nismo Suspension. (Why? because it's been tested by Nissan and still will be comfortable daily)
I can't find anywhere online to purchase Nismo Parts. Is there an option out there for purchasing?

If there is a place, should I go with the sway bars and coil overs?
Old 11-02-2017, 03:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Start by doing some research on this site. There's a lot of information on NISMO and other brands of suspension components. If you're hung up on NISMO, you may as well go to the Nissan USA site: https://parts.nissanusa.com/?siteid=14

As for what to get, upgrading swaybars will always be my suggestion to getting your biggest bang for the buck.
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:01 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Franknbeans
Hey all, I have a 2005 Anniversary Edition. It's my 4th car / Fun daily driver / HPDE car.

I'm looking to get a bit of suspension work and thought about getting a Nismo Suspension. (Why? because it's been tested by Nissan and still will be comfortable daily)
I can't find anywhere online to purchase Nismo Parts. Is there an option out there for purchasing?

If there is a place, should I go with the sway bars and coil overs?
Which Nismo suspension? OEM on '07-8 Nismo or "aftermarket" S-Tune.

In any case, like dkmura suggested, you can order from any Nissan dealer or possibly from places like courtesyparts.com. I'd suggest you download the catalog to know which pieces you want to order or.... go here:

https://www.nissanraceshopoemparts.com/ and find the part nos.

Honestly though, for what you're going to pay for Nismo parts, you can find equivalent comfort, handling, etc through the aftermarket for a lot less $$$. Nissan tested I get; but at what cost?

Do your research here and isolate what you want from the various threads, price 'em out and compare. THEN decide if Nismo is worth it to you.

Oh, and there're people around that sell off their OE Nismo suspension pieces at pennies on the dollar. (Why, I have no clue...) I saw a setup on craigs the other day.... OE Nismo shocks/springs.... $500 supposedly with only 25k miles on them. I bought and sold the same thing for around that much a couple years ago. (Didn't need a duplicate set...)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Franknbeans

Thanks for the input guys. I've been looking for a while and came across a nice thread found here.
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html

I guess the main reason I was thinking NISMO is that I don't want to fiddle with things.
I want to install and forget.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:28 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Or, you could go with Eibach Pro Springs, Bilstein B8 shocks and Hotchkiss sways and spend around $1100 diy. If you do go lower you will need camber arms (like Z1 sells) to prevent inner tire wear.

Spike did almost exactly what I did, I love my current set-up. Good luck!
Franknbeans (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:34 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

If you're willing to lower the car they are other good and less expensive options stated by the guys above.

If you're really stuck on the 07-08 nismo suspension you can get it new from courtesy nissan parts but it will cost you $1300 - 1500 or so and you will still need to get aftermarket sway bars as the OEM rear nismo is no longer sold.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Franknbeans

Don't want to lower the ride too much if any. I live on a 1/4 mile dirt road. I had a SRT-4 that was lowered and it was a HARSH ride. The previous owner just put springs on it and I would bottom out all the time. Not just the car, but the shocks as well.

What would be the best recommendations form you guys?

I heard Blisten would be the best bet. . . thoughts.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,054 Likes on 744 Posts

I think the Eibach Pro springs will give you about a little less than an inch drop (maybe 0.8"?). I went with the Hotchkis springs (drop of 9/16" F, 3/4" R) since the spring rates are pretty close to OEM. I also upgraded with Hotchkis sways (Hole 3 F, Hole 1 R) with Bilstein B8s. I think the ride quality is great and much improved handling, less body roll, but still a comfortable ride.

You're looking at around $1600 from Z1.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:18 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Like Mic, I actually had two sets of the NISMO suspension - one on the car, and a spare. Sourced them from Craigslist and this site, both from wrecked cars with low-miles. I love the ride and handling of the car, and it really was a huge transformation. I also like that the car wasn't lowered, because like you, I've got long bumpy private driveway. If you've got some patience, keep looking, or buy the parts new. The seller of one of my sets actually bought a new front shock, and iIRC, it wasn't terribly expensive at the time.

A rough cost, using the Courtesy Nissan site is about $1400 for the springs and shocks.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
Or, you could go with Eibach Pro Springs, Bilstein B8 shocks and Hotchkiss sways and spend around $1100 diy. If you do go lower you will need camber arms (like Z1 sells) to prevent inner tire wear.

Spike did almost exactly what I did, I love my current set-up. Good luck!
Doing this exact set up within the next month or 2. Not trying to thread hijack, but why eibach over tein springs?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Franknbeans

Good question, as I was looking at the Tein springs too.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Theminatar
Doing this exact set up within the next month or 2. Not trying to thread hijack, but why eibach over tein springs?
Good question, as I was looking at the Tein springs too.
Nothing wrong with Tein springs. I've never run them but local Z expert Rob Fuller at ZCG likes them and sells them (along with the others) and seems to like them.

Honestly, there isn't huge amount of new science that goes into suspension coil springs (not that I'm undermining the engineering of spring design, which I'm not) but note the word "new". The "best" spring for the car has already been designed and based on everything anyone says, Teins are ace numbuh one OK.

Something to consider, however, if you want to nit, is if you purchase the Bilstein B12 ProKit (Bilstein shocks/Eibach ProKit springs), do know that the two products were jointly co-developed and "tuned" to one another by the two companies. Does it make 'em better than Tein? Can't rightly say. But these are HUGE reputation companies so you makes up youse own minds on that.

Personally, yes, I had the B12 setup and it was, in a word, amazing. I'm on Konis with the ProKit springs now (long story about giving the 'Steins away) and I'm very happy with this setup too; but ride wise, Bilstein FTW.
Franknbeans (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 07:16 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Theminatar
When I was shopping it seemed the Eibachs got slightly better reviews. Been very happy with them and the B8s.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Franknbeans

I've read that the B12 kit is the B8 with Eilbach springs. Can anyone confirm this? Tire rac seems to be the cheapest place for the b12 kit at $889 and the Hotchkis sways for $333.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:19 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I've read that the B12 kit is the B8 with Eilbach springs. Can anyone confirm this? Tire rac seems to be the cheapest place for the b12 kit at $889 and the Hotchkis sways for $333.
Ulp, here we go again.

There was some confusion on this a while back because when I bought the B12 Kit (somewhere around 2013), it came with B6s (confirmed through the part numbers on the individual shock boxes.)

However, it was later changed, apparently, as someone else bought the kit (maybe 2015) and it came with B8's, also confirmed. While performance is only minimally different between the two, the B8's are designed to be used with lowering springs if you want to nitpick. BUT, the designed amount of lowering with the ProKit springs is so "minimal" - 15-19mm - that either shock works fine.

The B12 ProKit is the DEAL out there on a suspension kit that really works!

But word of advice: CHECK with the supplier that they're actually available for immediate delivery - even drop shipped from Bilstein - because they were in short supply a while back.
Franknbeans (11-04-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:36 AM
Franknbeans

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Ulp, here we go again.

There was some confusion on this a while back because when I bought the B12 Kit (somewhere around 2013), it came with B6s (confirmed through the part numbers on the individual shock boxes.)

However, it was later changed, apparently, as someone else bought the kit (maybe 2015) and it came with B8's, also confirmed. While performance is only minimally different between the two, the B8's are designed to be used with lowering springs if you want to nitpick. BUT, the designed amount of lowering with the ProKit springs is so "minimal" - 15-19mm - that either shock works fine.

The B12 ProKit is the DEAL out there on a suspension kit that really works!

But word of advice: CHECK with the supplier that they're actually available for immediate delivery - even drop shipped from Bilstein - because they were in short supply a while back.

Yup, that was the thread I was reading here on the forum.

Did anyone run the B8 and B12? How hard is the ride between both of them? B12 noticeably harsher?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:03 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Did anyone run the B8 and B12? How hard is the ride between both of them? B12 noticeably harsher?
Clarify:

"B12" is the name of the full spring/shock KIT (together).

B6 is the nomenclature for the "HD Bilstein SHOCK" alone.

B8 is the name of the "sport Bilstein" shock alone.

Main difference is a slight re-valving and length difference between them, the B8 for lowered cars and offer very little, if any difference in ride quality when used with the Eibach springs.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
Franknbeans (11-05-2017), jhc (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:10 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I bought my '06 in 2011 with 42K. Been a minute since I had a sports car. At around 83K I'd had enough of the og suspension bottoming-out. Terrasmack (a mod here), recommended Bilstein B8 for lowered cars. (Since I planned to go a hair lower with Eibach Pros.)

Honestly, when I took off the original shocks stamped, "Tokiko", I thought perhaps I should replace with same. So glad I did not!

The ride is active but not harsh. Irregular pavement is damped smoothly and predictably. I've had these shocks mb 15k, absolutely worth the money. Your teeth will not click together, I absolutely recommend the Bilstein shock, very nice product!
Franknbeans (11-05-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:45 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much do the s-tune suspension go for nowadays?....as I have a full s-tune setup with F/R swaybars lying around. It was my old street setup.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:05 PM
ARRRT

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I’ve managed to find a set of s-tune shocks and springs (no sway bars) for 400 usd in japan.
Shipping to Ukraine took me 2 months and 200 usd extra.
Am I happy with s-tune?
Hell yeah)))

Search this Thread