MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Different shocks front and rear? (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/617777-different-shocks-front-and-rear.html)

labbitlabbit 11-06-2017 06:12 PM

Different shocks front and rear?

Was wondering if it was okay to run two different brands front and rear. Was planning on buying the full tokico dspec shocks but the rears are no longer available. As I've already ordered without knowing this I now have fronts but no rears. Would Koni yellows suffice? Thanks. Any input appreciated :)

dkmura 11-06-2017 07:09 PM

Mixing street shocks won't result in your Z throwing itself off the road and stomping on you, if that's what you're asking. But the rebound and bounce rates of the front and rear shocks won't be matched, so it's far from an optimal situation. Why not simply cancel your order and return the front tokicos?

labbitlabbit 11-07-2017 03:54 PM

Thanks. Considering doing just that. I guess that was the reason why the front shocks were so cheap.
Was thinking since the tokicos are adjustable I could try to adjust them and attempt to balance it out with the rear

dkmura 11-07-2017 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by labbitlabbit (Post 10925228)
Was thinking since the tokicos are adjustable I could try to adjust them and attempt to balance it out with the rear

The problem with mixing different brands is they each have their own scaling for adjustability. Tokico d-specs, for example use a single adjustment to vary both bounce and rebound settings. A single adjustable (SA) shock like the Koni Sport 8241s are preset for bounce, and have an adjuster for rebound settings. It's practically impossible to adjust a mixed set front-to-back.

MicVelo 11-07-2017 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10925004)
Mixing street shocks won't result in your Z throwing itself off the road and stomping on you, if that's what you're asking. But the rebound and bounce rates of the front and rear shocks won't be matched, so it's far from an optimal situation. Why not simply cancel your order and return the front tokicos?

Originally Posted by labbitlabbit (Post 10925228)
Thanks. Considering doing just that. I guess that was the reason why the front shocks were so cheap.

dkmura took the words out've my big mouth. :icon17:

Technically speaking, you COULD adjust the two different brands to work with one another but it's hit or miss. With a matched set, you are able to start at zero F&R and play with the settings to suit you, knowing that zero F&R will be a pretty well matched base point, unlike two different brands where the zero points may not be the same.

If you still want adjustability from non-coilovers , I (and I bet dkmura along with others) would recommend the Koni Sports you mentioned. These are single adjust (jounce/rebound controlled by single knob) like the D-Specs and are MORE than capable for anything short of a GT or Production club racer and/or serious autocrosser needing to have separate adjustment on both compression and rebound settings.

EDIT: Me and David stink, er, think alike (at the same time of the night too.... scary) although he's more technically correct on the single adjustability of the Konis.... but I meant the same thing. :o