Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

best big brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 06:08 PM
PumpedVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ZxRage
I had the Wilwoods 14" Front BBK for a few months and I really wasn't that impressed with them. I also found out that they fade easily when slowing down from speeds of 100 to 65 mph on the highways. I realized that they weren't capable of handling the abuse I was going to put them through and sold them off for a loss.

Right now I am installing a set of 4 Wheel 14" Stoptechs on my car this weekend and will post my impressions soon after. I can say this, the Stoptechs seem like a more complete kit and everything is stainless as compared to some of the rusted bolts that were on the caliper of the Wilwood kit. Also, there is an INSTALLATION MANUAL included with the kit with the proper torque specs, that was something that the Wilwood kit did not come with.
Well I sure dont want any rusted bolts
Old 11-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rotora is a really good value for these cars and performs really well in my experience. Stoptech is also a terrific kit.

Endless also comes in blue

Here are some specs:
Rotora

The 4 piston front kit uses large 330x30 mm two piece slotted rotors with aluminum hats, big 4 piston calipers, and includes pads, stainless steel brake lines (front), and all required mounting hardware.

The 6 piston front kit steps it up to massive 355x32 mm two piece slotted rotors with aluminum hats, and huge 6 piston calipers. Once again, pads, lines, and all mounting hardware is included.

For pricing, click here: http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ing&prodid=949

Stoptech - contact one of their authorized dealers. While we have access to it, buying from an authorized dealer is important with a purchase like this.

Endless:

Endless Brake Kit - uses the 6 piston mini caliper and stock Brembo rotors (rotors not included). This kit contains 2 front calipers, stainless steel brake lines, brake pads (your choice of street, street/track, or track compound)and mounting hardware.

Endless System Kit - uses the 6 piston mini caliper, and includes all the components of the standard brake kit, includes 2 Endless 12.76 inch rotors (same size as Brembo) and 6 piston mini caliper - $3625.00

Endless System Kit Inch Up 1 - uses a 13.5 inch 2 piece rotor, 6 piston caliper, and includes all mounting hardware, braided brake lines, and your choice of pad compound

Endless System Kit Inch Up 2 - All the features of the Inch Up 1 kit, but steps up to a 14 inch 2 piece rotor, 6 piston racing caliper.

Endless Racing Kit Front - uses full size 6 piston front caliper (same as used on the JGTC cars) with 14.5 inch rotor 2 piece rotor, stainless brake lines and pads

For pricing, click here: http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ing&prodid=331

Each manufacturer now offers rear kits too

Any questions, feel free to let us know!

I personally run AP on my own car, though if cost were not an option, I would have had Endless.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:34 PM
ZeroGen

I agree with React. If money isn't a problem, go Endless...

Where are Rotoras made?

Last edited by ZeroGen; 11-12-2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Phrost

Yeah I agree, Endless look great. I would go for them if money was not an issue but since it is I'll go for the AP Racing kit.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:04 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
I personally run AP on my own car, though if cost were not an option, I would have had Endless.
if you dont mind me asking, why?
AP got some nice brakes from a performance point of view.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:16 AM
Dragonstyle

Endless and Rotora come in blue.....if money is no worry, i'd get Endless...but i also hear Rotora's are good brakes for their price....I think Rotora's are from/made in SoCal....
Old 11-13-2004, 02:26 AM
dansouliere

I have never heard of endless untill this week. What is so special about them that justifies the price?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:41 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another vote for StopTech. Properly engineered, heavily documented, well supported. And don't forget pad selection...the StopTech ST-40 caliper uses the same pad size as the mid-90's Porsche 911. This means that there are a TON of available pads to choose from. I'd be curious if you would have the same selection if you bought a kit that might not have such a common pad size.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2004, 08:23 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

StopTech. Thanks to Jason at Performance Nissan for the brakes and the guys at Kinston Nissan for installing them.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

GYZ - just the bling factor pure and simple. I actually run AP's on all my cars and have for the last several years...in fact, we are just about to wrap up the kit for my 280ZX...with 6 pot front AP caliper..yum!

Endless are a very well respected, high end Japanese brand that is most notably used in JGTC, WRC and several Asian market race series.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:39 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
GYZ - just the bling factor pure and simple. I actually run AP's on all my cars and have for the last several years...in fact, we are just about to wrap up the kit for my 280ZX...with 6 pot front AP caliper..yum!
o, bling factor!
that explaines it.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Phrost

Z1 Performance have you run STOPTECH on a 350z before? If so, what are some of your reasons for going with the AP's over the STOPTECH brakes.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:27 AM
J Ritt

Thanks for the support guys...as a side note...we offer blue calipers as a special order item for an additional $100 per caliper. There are a number of members on this forum running them.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Skrill

I just ran my car at Buttonwillow -- only mods are SSR Comps, Big Khumo MX tires and a Stoptech 14" 4-wheel kit (in silver).

I ran Pagid Orange pads (front only) and everything was awesome. I ran repeated fast hard laps without even a hint of fade. I let one of the instructors drive (a NASA pro SE-R racer) and he laid down some incredible laps and said the brakes never faded and pedal remained rock hard.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Phrost

Nice, sounds good Skrill.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
J Ritt

Skrill,
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you were happy with the brakes! You'd have to do something pretty drastic to fade our 355mm kit. Hopefully I'll be out there with you driving next time.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Skrill

Originally posted by J Ritt
Skrill,
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you were happy with the brakes! You'd have to do something pretty drastic to fade our 355mm kit. Hopefully I'll be out there with you driving next time.
Yeah -- I bet even at Grand Am Cup levels the 14's would not fade (with the right pad). I love the brakes.

And the 14" rears -- I don't think they even broke a sweat with the OE Porsche pads. But I know they were working, as the car squated nicely at the hard braking zones. I even got them to tint blue (but not as deep as the fronts).

The SE-R driver said that it was one of the best aftermarket kits he had driven. No early ABS activation and no rear lock-ups. And trust me -- he was giving them a real workout.

Now ... gotta fix that understeer I had at the button hook.

BTW, now that I have the track bug again, I will be going to Big Willow with the Touring Car Racing Assoc. on 12/4-12/5. www.touringcarclub.com

Love to see you there.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:49 PM
TECHNOSQUARE

I'm biased but.... ENDLESS.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Brian - what bumper (TS?) front pics?

I have not used Stoptechs on a Z yet, but have used them on tons of other cars - nothing but grins In fact, I have yet to use a bad BBK on any car (from Alcon to Stoptech), with the exception of Wilwoods - they worked well enough, but the kits I have used had no dust seals in the caliper and required frequent rebuild on track cars.

I chose AP for my own car for a few reasons:

1. My kit is actually originally designed for a 300 ZX TT. Customer was parting his car out to mod his new project (SR20 equipped S14), and needed Defi gauges - we worked something out

2. Consistency of brands - my other Z (280ZX) also is to be using AP brakes (6 piston), and I thought it would be neat to have both cars using a similar kit.

3. Experience - I have used AP more than any other kit in the last 5-6 years and have been totally blown away by their quality, reliability (have never had to have a caliper rebuilt), wide array of pad choices, and their customer service was top notch

Adam
Old 11-15-2004, 07:12 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by TECHNOSQUARE
I'm biased but.... ENDLESS.
i 2nd that

Quick Reply: best big brake kit?