Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Hi guys... I'm thinking of buying a new 2005 Z and...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:51 PM
potator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys... I'm thinking of buying a new 2005 Z and...

I'm thinking of getting a new 2005 350Z for my new car, and was wondering if all the problems that plagued the 03/04 models are gone in the 05 models? I know of the infamous tire feathering problems, as well as the dreadful tranny issues (MT). And also other smaller problems such as the clutch, etc. I've noticed there were so many 03/04 owners with these problems, but not sure if any of the 05's were the same. Every 350Z forum I've went to where the thread stated to post if you have such and such problems, weren't smart enough to tell them to also list what year model they have. If any of you guys know how the 05's are, please post, thanks!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your question about reliability of the 350Z is pretty common. My answer is “Yes” the 350Z is reliable.

Nissan uses the 3.5 liter engine in the 350Z, Maxima and Altima because it have proven itself to be a reliable engine.

Forum members are enthusiasts, and enthusiasts are perfectionists. And we sure as hell love to complain. Not often will you read a “my air conditioning is fantastic” post. But post about a “strange sound coming from the left front speaker,” and all of a sudden, everyone has the same symptom. Its the power of suggestion.

The problem posts that you read are anomalies applicable to 10 percent of 350Z owners. The other 90 percent are happy owners: they're the silent majority.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:39 PM
potator

Originally Posted by davidv
Your question about reliability of the 350Z is pretty common. My answer is “Yes” the 350Z is reliable.

Nissan uses the 3.5 liter engine in the 350Z, Maxima and Altima because it have proven itself to be a reliable engine.

Forum members are enthusiasts, and enthusiasts are perfectionists. And we sure as hell love to complain. Not often will you read a “my air conditioning is fantastic” post. But post about a “strange sound coming from the left front speaker,” and all of a sudden, everyone has the same symptom. Its the power of suggestion.

The problem posts that you read are anomalies applicable to 10 percent of 350Z owners. The other 90 percent are happy owners: they're the silent majority.
I see, that makes good sense. Bump for some more replies please.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:42 PM
MyNismoRoadster

Why not wait for the New 06 models thats coming out very soon? Supposedly a few new features and redesigned interior and minor exterior updates.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:18 PM
potator

Originally Posted by MyNismoRoadster
Why not wait for the New 06 models thats coming out very soon? Supposedly a few new features and redesigned interior and minor exterior updates.
Yeah, I've also heard that all of the models including the base will come standard with a 300 hp motor? That sounds very nice, and I might wait for the 06's. I'v heard they're already on some dealership lots.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
MyNismoRoadster

Originally Posted by potator
Yeah, I've also heard that all of the models including the base will come standard with a 300 hp motor? That sounds very nice, and I might wait for the 06's. I'v heard they're already on some dealership lots.

I doubt they are for sale i heard its supposed to be released in early Sept. And yes all 06's except autos come with the 300hp rev it up motor.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed there were so many 03/04 owners with these problems, but not sure if any of the 05's were the same.
Just think about this statement. Why do you think there are so many 03/04 owners with these problems? Could it be that they sold so many 03/04 and that those owners have had a longer time to find their way to this site. I know people want to believe the 2005 is drastically different but it really isn't. So don't buy based on year, buy based on what options you want and what you can afford. No car is perfect.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:37 AM
xNeo

Originally Posted by davidv
Your question about reliability of the 350Z is pretty common.
Forum members are enthusiasts, and enthusiasts are perfectionists. And we sure as hell love to complain. Not often will you read a “my air conditioning is fantastic” post.

That actually made me laugh out loud... lol, back to work!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Camel

Agreed, you never see random posts about how great the car is running, all you get here for the most part is complaints. I haven't had a single problem with mine, although it only has 2500 miles. I've owned something like 12 new Nissans over the past 10 years. I had a sensor go bad on a '96 SE-R and turn on the check engine light, but that was minor and fixed promptly. Otherwise it's been nothing but oil changes and tire rotations. I'd challenge almost any manufacturer to have that kind of track record. I'll continue buying Nissans as long as they don't let me down. So yeah, I expect the Z to be reliable. Like anything else though, it's a machine, and if abused or neglected, it will break.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Fletch69z

I have an 03 and have had none of the usual problems. I love my car and wouldn't do anything differently. The 05's have less chance of having some of the problems that some people have had, but I would wait for the 06, . Good luck with whatever you get!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:46 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Only problem with my 03 was minor feathering (24,000 miles out of OEM tires....not bad).

I'd get an 05 & save a few bucks if you can get a model/color you want.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:53 AM
danvain

Yeah, I'd just figure out if saving money was an issue and if it was I'd get an 05...if not swoop on the first 06 you can find. I have an 04 with only about 3100 miles on it. I drive it almost daily, but I don't live very far from where I work. I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX that I use for my more lengthy trips usually. Just better on gas.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:53 AM
potator

Originally Posted by King Tut
Just think about this statement. Why do you think there are so many 03/04 owners with these problems? Could it be that they sold so many 03/04 and that those owners have had a longer time to find their way to this site. I know people want to believe the 2005 is drastically different but it really isn't. So don't buy based on year, buy based on what options you want and what you can afford. No car is perfect.
Not trying to be a smart-aleck here on a new board, but think about your statement. I agree with the fact that the older the model year, the longer it takes for problems to show, and also find their owners to be able to come to a site like this and complain. But also, why wouldn't any smart company notice these problems and fix them in later year models when they can? It's only natural for more and more problems to become fixed as the year models progress. This of course doesn't mean that the last year model is going to be perfect - all cars have their problems. But the chance of the later year models having much less problems than the early year models is very likely. No offense, but I think some 03/04 Z owners may be a bit sour about the problems they've experienced, and might not like to admit the fact that Nissan may have fixed them in the 05 and upcoming models.

I'm just a buyer that's trying to take precautions before going out and buying a new car. Unlike some people who buy cars on impulse, I actually do my research. Please forgive me if I had made any of you upset.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:52 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

"Please forgive me if I had made any of you upset"

Not a problem. We just have some sensitive flowers on here!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 AM
King Tut

Not trying to be a smart-aleck here on a new board, but think about your statement. I agree with the fact that the older the model year, the longer it takes for problems to show, and also find their owners to be able to come to a site like this and complain. But also, why wouldn't any smart company notice these problems and fix them in later year models when they can?
Because if the problem isn't with the majority of cars that roll off the assembly line then there is nothing to fix. All of these problems do not affect every car so they are not going to make drastic changes when the majority of cars don't see the problem. They are not going to completely redesign the front suspension or completely resesign the entire transmission and clutch systems. If it will help you sleep better at night, then go ahead and get the 2005. If it has problems you can take it in to get them fixed just like every 2003 and 2004 owner does. The only things changed from year to year will be things in previous TSBs that did affect the majority of cars and can be fixed by the dealer if you did buy a 2003 or 2004.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 AM
ActionJackson

I got the window grease streaking problem in my 05, but I'll just wait and see how it goes in the next 10,000 miles. My friend's G35 had window grease streaks too and they went away after awhile for him.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:59 PM
ZRA

Cool

I just put 3000 miles on my 05 SB touring. A little early to tell yet but So far no complaints.