MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Buying/Leasing (https://my350z.com/forum/buying-leasing-396/)
-   -   FINALLY!!! A 6MT Roadster avail! But i'm upside down on my loan, so.... (https://my350z.com/forum/buying-leasing/360226-finally-a-6mt-roadster-avail-but-im-upside-down-on-my-loan-so.html)

gregom 05-18-2008 03:07 PM

FINALLY!!! A 6MT Roadster avail! But i'm upside down on my loan, so....

This is embarrassing, but here goes... Needless to say I overpaid, a lot... on my 04.5 ZR with 44K miles on it at the time. I had spent nearly a full year looking for ZR's and every one that came up was a 5AT, so I gave up and got one. Stupid... yes, but its too late for that now.

Now, 3 months after getting it, a 6MT 06 ZR shows up with about 23K miles on it. They want want $28,900 for it ($1K more than I paid for the 04)... But they will only give me $20K for mine so that leaves up about 10K upside down after the taxes and other crap on my loan.

So...... I've put my Z up for private sale, asking $24K, heh I'm hopeful but even then i'll be a good 4-5K upside down on my loan. The dealer said if I managed to sell mine and they still have the 6MT they will try and work something out with me but of course there are no guarantee's.

This is my only option as far as i'm concerned but I'm curious if anyone else has some ideas that may help me out here. I'm selling sh*t like crazy to get a few extra grand in my pocket for a down payment but what it all comes down to is I walked into a stupid ass overpriced vehicle and i'm paying for it, in more ways than one.

I'm pretty much screwed aren't I?

:icon22:

DavesZ#3 05-18-2008 03:11 PM

Yeah, I can only imagine how much demand there is for a convertible sports car in Boise Idaho. Buy a tube of KY - you're gonna need it.

terrasmak 05-18-2008 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Yeah, I can only imagine how much demand there is for a convertible sports car in Boise Idaho. Buy a tube of KY - you're gonna need it.

LOL ouch , but so true.

ZPHILE 05-18-2008 03:29 PM

Hello - There's Oil consumption issues w/ '06 6MT's

You really need to consider this issue!!! Yeah, my '06 6MT MB ZR will be on the market soon too. Guess what? It's being bought back (like many more like mine) tomorrow due to Lemon Law. Don't do it! look at an older one or a '07 or anything else. This has been such an headache!!!!

ComBat 05-18-2008 04:39 PM

Don't sell your Z. You are going to get screwed without your KY. The dealer needs the business more than you. Think about it, you already have a ZR, except its automatic. Also, you are better off 5AT since they are more reliable than those grindin 6MT.

Originally Posted by gregom
This is embarrassing, but here goes... Needless to say I overpaid, a lot... on my 04.5 ZR with 44K miles on it at the time. I had spent nearly a full year looking for ZR's and every one that came up was a 5AT, so I gave up and got one. Stupid... yes, but its too late for that now.

Now, 3 months after getting it, a 6MT 06 ZR shows up with about 23K miles on it. They want want $28,900 for it ($1K more than I paid for the 04)... But they will only give me $20K for mine so that leaves up about 10K upside down after the taxes and other crap on my loan.

So...... I've put my Z up for private sale, asking $24K, heh I'm hopeful but even then i'll be a good 4-5K upside down on my loan. The dealer said if I managed to sell mine and they still have the 6MT they will try and work something out with me but of course there are no guarantee's.

This is my only option as far as i'm concerned but I'm curious if anyone else has some ideas that may help me out here. I'm selling sh*t like crazy to get a few extra grand in my pocket for a down payment but what it all comes down to is I walked into a stupid ass overpriced vehicle and i'm paying for it, in more ways than one.

I'm pretty much screwed aren't I?

:icon22:

black06z 05-18-2008 04:49 PM

Just keep your current Z. Its not worth to trade in at the moment.

TreeFiddyZee 05-18-2008 04:55 PM

Speaking from personal experience, don't do it. Being upside-down is a very, very bad place to be. It tends to radiate into your other finances. So you made a bad decision on your current car. If you go further upside-down in this other car, then you've now made two MAJOR mistakes. Suck up your first mistake and pay it down. Is there some major life change that will happen when you get a 6MT? I'm gonna have to say NO.
Do yourself a favor, stick with your current car and enjoy it for what it is. Once you get in the positive, then the stranglehold of debt will go away.
Again, I speak from personal experience and would just as soon someone learn from my mistakes.

davidv 05-18-2008 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by gregom
I'm curious if anyone else has some ideas that may help me out here.

Yes. Pay off one car before you borrow more money to get another.

gregom 05-18-2008 08:35 PM

What's wrong with the 06's? They eat a lot of oil? As much as the RX-8's? Ehh not that big of a deal...

I'm already upside down, trying to sell now is better than trying to sell later. I don't care about losing a couple grand its going to happen anyway. At least I'll have exactly what I wanted in the first place. Besides i've got a bunch of stuff i'm selling so i'm making a pretty good deal of money. Already got $1,800 in the last couple weeks sellings stuff, and i'm looking at getting a second job so a few grand isn't a big deal.

Honestly I think it will be worth it... but who knows I may not be able to sell for the price i'm asking. But i've already made my decision I was just asking if anyone had any ideas on selling.

M_parallel 05-18-2008 08:55 PM

You can buy a brand new 07 for about $4,000 more than that...

gregom 05-18-2008 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by sethgood
You can buy a brand new 07 for about $4,000 more than that...

Not here you cant... :(

ZPHILE 05-19-2008 09:00 AM

If you're going to do this thing anyway....

I don't advise it. BUT, if you look around other areas - say Calif. You can get a fantastic deal on a NEW '07. Big incentives to get rid of them. Just picked up a NEW '08 ZR SMB 6MT for $35,118. They offered me '07's (not right color) for around $33k. Check website carbuyingtips dot com for the best advice ever in buying cars. My price above was $900 BELOW invoice.

H.

M_parallel 05-19-2008 10:53 AM

I just got some inside information. It seems for a limited time that you are now able to buy new 07 touring 6MT roadsters for about $31-32k.

Even though this is a bad idea, and you will take an epic 10k+ bath on the 04, in three years with Nissan, this is the best deal I have even seen on a 350Z. Period.

Master Shake 05-19-2008 11:28 AM

I can understand your "At least I'll have exactly what I wanted in the first place" statement. Sometimes it is worth a little more money to get exactly what you want -- you should never settle with this car! :-)

How many miles do you have now? and what trim level is your 04.5? $20K from a dealer might not be that bad.

As for your purchase, you should consider buying out of your area. Search Autotrader online within 1000 miles or so. The trip might pay for itself with the savings -- plus you can get what you really want.

gregom 05-19-2008 01:09 PM

California is a bit too much of a drive... I'd go to Seattle or Salt Lake, which is within 8-10 hour drive. But it would have to be EXACTLY what I want.

This 06 Z at the dealer is 6 speed and has Navigation, which I will use.... ONly problem is the color, its silver. I can live with it but I want the San Marino Blue.

I've looked for ALL Z's in my area and no one has exactly what I want except an 08 ZR in the SM Blue, but they want $44K for the damn thing!

These cars tend to be overpriced in my area for some reason, really annoying...

Hopefully I'll figure something out... I can always repaint it I guess, but it will never be as good as the original quality OEM paint.

kenpo_350Z 05-19-2008 01:39 PM

I waited a while and searched until I found a 6MT ZR with the orange/black seats touring package. I flew to Florida and drove 25 hours home. It was well worth it! I got my 04 with 39K miles for 19,900. Save up, or make the trip and be deeper in debt. I would save up if I were you.

TrueEmperor 05-19-2008 02:28 PM

I'd honestly keep what you got right now... I did the same mistake and im not even 20 yet, well in 8 days i will be... but i went from an 06 Scion tC to an 06 Z and was 2k upsidedown, then i recently sold my Z last year in july, and now driving an 07 Corolla.. also, i was 10k upsidedown when i purchased my corolla for $24k... talk about debt...

gregom 05-19-2008 07:01 PM

Well I decided to go back to the dealership I bought it from and explained the situation, the owner said he would find me a ZR 6sp and trade me cars, or at least close to that depending on the value differences. It will take a couple weeks or even months perhaps for him to find what I want and if he can even get it.

So we'll see... thats probbably the best bet I have right now. So i'm gonna hold off and see if he can work something to keep me happy.

flyzmd80 05-19-2008 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TrueEmperor
I'd honestly keep what you got right now... I did the same mistake and im not even 20 yet, well in 8 days i will be... but i went from an 06 Scion tC to an 06 Z and was 2k upsidedown, then i recently sold my Z last year in july, and now driving an 07 Corolla.. also, i was 10k upsidedown when i purchased my corolla for $24k... talk about debt...

Now you all know how the "mortgage crisis" came about!!! Some people never get it!!

phenix 05-19-2008 10:34 PM

There's two strikes there. First, you will be way upside down. Second, the car still isn't what you reeealllly want since it's the wrong color. Don't go that far in the hole for something your not 100% in love with. Wait a while, and pay your car down some more first. Most importantly, don't go spending that much $$$ for something you "can live with." You want SMB, get it.

Unfortunately when your looking for a roadster (especially where you live) you've pretty much got to give yourself a wide search area to find what you want.

Don't trade in, your just giving the dealership twice as much profit out of your own pocket when you do that.