Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

20 years old, want to get a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Mikeman92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
damn so you wouldnt be working while in law school...even with savings that might be a bit too much bro . Also I would stay away from too much loans man plus come on am sure you want to enjoy at least alittle of your money. No point in having a Z if you cant even take out your girl because you have no gas money. Even with savings it will be tough
I know it will, but I recently got hired or was promised to be by a 50+ year family friend. If I get this job within the month, I'll have plenty to spare. Plus I'd be able to work out a deal with them once I'm in law school, i.e. weekends 5pm-10pm waiting tables.. fri-sat nights waiting tables would be enough for gas. I don't really plan to mod the car other than matt white, with everything else blacked out. A tune and some decent brakes.. Other than that, if I get this job, I think I'm safe
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikeman92
I know it will, but I recently got hired or was promised to be by a 50+ year family friend. If I get this job within the month, I'll have plenty to spare. Plus I'd be able to work out a deal with them once I'm in law school, i.e. weekends 5pm-10pm waiting tables.. fri-sat nights waiting tables would be enough for gas. I don't really plan to mod the car other than matt white, with everything else blacked out. A tune and some decent brakes.. Other than that, if I get this job, I think I'm safe
I guess that should be able to help you a bit bro. If you have everything planned out and can have at least 1 part time job in law school go for it. try and save up a nice lil down payment on the Z those to have lower monthly payments. You want an hr with good miles so that's around 17,000. Maybe at least 40% down payment so you can pay it off by law school.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Collin Lacy
You're right, the only things I know about insurance is that I pay for it, and that i anything happens I'll pay even more for it.

Here's why I said what I said, OP stated he wanted it under his fathers name, I guess I misunderstood this as to just be under his fathers insurance (IE added on to the plan). I didn't see him say anywhere that he wanted to put the title under his dads name, which would then make the dad, the "owner" liable for all the above mentioned things. Policyholder =/= owner.

As for me being "spoiled" maybe I am. I'm on my parents insurance to save money, because they trust me not to mess around with the car, and when something minor does happen to it (like I hit a blown out tire because I was following too close, oops) I'm responsible and I can't go crying to insurance to pay for it.

I guess it was presumptuous of me to assume the OPs parents would look at him the same way, even though all evidence as stated supports it. (job, college, scholarship, law school)
Not sure how it works where you're from, but around here things are very different. Only the owner (holds the title) can insure the vehicle.

Whoever has their name on the insurance policy is the one who takes the hit. You take out the policy under your name, you are essentially saying you will be the one paying for damages.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a cheaper 240z and just pimp hoes for a living. Forget law school.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 AM
ZMoneyPIT

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
Not sure how it works where you're from, but around here things are very different. Only the owner (holds the title) can insure the vehicle.

Whoever has their name on the insurance policy is the one who takes the hit. You take out the policy under your name, you are essentially saying you will be the one paying for damages.
The only way i know how you can do it is by having your parents cosign on the car so both of your names will be on it. So you're pretty much using your parents for everything (cheaper insurance, better finance rates), and in the end if something doesnt get paid your parents are f-cked and you zoidberg out of the situation.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my Z when I was 22,just graduated college and wanted to get something for my hard work.

My insurance was only and still is $75 a month for 2 vehicles. Worked hard for what I have and work hard everyday since then.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Mikeman92

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
I got my Z when I was 22,just graduated college and wanted to get something for my hard work.

My insurance was only and still is $75 a month for 2 vehicles. Worked hard for what I have and work hard everyday since then.
Hope to carry in those footsteps.. getting one around the time I'm 21 seems to be the case with me, so within the next 10 months, which feels like an eternity. My insurance for standard coverage would be around 385-412$... That's with a bunch of discounts like no tickets, living in a house that's owned by someone living in it, and good grades. But then again I'm only 20.. Just gotta stay optimistic and focus on my goal.. First car bought myself, and a 350z
Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope to carry in those footsteps.. getting one around the time I'm 21 seems to be the case with me, so within the next 10 months, which feels like an eternity. My insurance for standard coverage would be around 385-412$... That's with a bunch of discounts like no tickets, living in a house that's owned by someone living in it, and good grades. But then again I'm only 20.. Just gotta stay optimistic and focus on my goal.. First car bought myself, and a 350z
Trust me man, just do your research on the Z for the next 3 years and enjoy college life as an undergrad. This isn't something you want to rush into. Kinda like a doing a chick and it's her first time. You just gotta feel her out. Get to know her. Explore her body, find out what makes her tick. Slowly slide on in the sugars walls. Sure, there might be a bit of a mess to clean up but the more you rush the bigger the mess. Then over time, you just go buck wild on her and she'll end up using a wheel chair the next day. The moral of the story? Go slow and then go buck wild when your in the home stretch. Ya digg?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Mikeman92

Originally Posted by Jah70
Trust me man, just do your research on the Z for the next 3 years and enjoy college life as an undergrad. This isn't something you want to rush into. Kinda like a doing a chick and it's her first time. You just gotta feel her out. Get to know her. Explore her body, find out what makes her tick. Slowly slide on in the sugars walls. Sure, there might be a bit of a mess to clean up but the more you rush the bigger the mess. Then over time, you just go buck wild on her and she'll end up using a wheel chair the next day. The moral of the story? Go slow and then go buck wild when your in the home stretch. Ya digg?
I get ya, but in 3 years I'll be in law school ..
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 PM
CoronaStylez

Originally Posted by kacz07
Buy a cheaper 240z and just pimp hoes for a living. Forget law school.
I'll allow it. I mean don't forget law school but go for something reliable and cheaper. I bought my first Mustang fresh out of high school with my own cash and it lasted me 3 years until I upgraded. 2 years after that bought another car on top of it. Never finished my degree though because I was on my own and trying to go to school. Had 2 jobs trying to pay bills.

Moral of the story is cars come and go, your education is more important. By the time you get out of law school your insurance drops and you'll make some real money. You might be even able to buy that puppy cash. I hate having a car payment lingering over my head myself.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Mikeman92

Originally Posted by CoronaStylez
I'll allow it. I mean don't forget law school but go for something reliable and cheaper. I bought my first Mustang fresh out of high school with my own cash and it lasted me 3 years until I upgraded. 2 years after that bought another car on top of it. Never finished my degree though because I was on my own and trying to go to school. Had 2 jobs trying to pay bills.

Moral of the story is cars come and go, your education is more important. By the time you get out of law school your insurance drops and you'll make some real money. You might be even able to buy that puppy cash. I hate having a car payment lingering over my head myself.
I know exactly what you're saying, and that everyone else here is putting their 2 cents in to help, and it's greatly appreciated. I just want everyone to know that this car would not be bought if I wasn't able to pay it off by law school, or if it got in the way of school right now.

I don't even plan on getting it unless I have a 50-70% downpayment in my hands, and my dad said the last favor he'd probably give me is putting the car I drive now (04 sebring), as a down payment. The car is old and has problems worth more than fixing, (still drivable). Once again though, thank you for your comment.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I get ya, but in 3 years I'll be in law school ..
Well, in 2 years your going to graduate. Make your move in feb. or march of that last semester. Just save as much as you can until then and I wish the best of luck to you. I know how you feel because I was in the same situation, but you have to just be patient and optimistic.

Last edited by Jah70; 02-18-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Mikeman92

Originally Posted by Jah70
Well, in 2 years your going to graduate. Make your move in feb. or march of that last semester. Just save as much as you can until then and I wish the best of luck to you. I know how you feel because I was in the same situation, but you have to just be patient and optimistic.
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm constantly on the forums, and it hurts to not have the car, the only car that has gotten me into cars. If all goes as planned I should have it by winter of my junior year.. It doesn't snow here in miami, so thank goodness I don't need to buy special wheels
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm constantly on the forums, and it hurts to not have the car, the only car that has gotten me into cars. If all goes as planned I should have it by winter of my junior year.. It doesn't snow here in miami, so thank goodness I don't need to buy special wheels
Dont worry you will get that car. Just budget yourself and try to cut your expenses so you have more money left over to save. Just saw that ur in miami, What school?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Mikeman92

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
Dont worry you will get that car. Just budget yourself and try to cut your expenses so you have more money left over to save. Just saw that ur in miami, What school?
I'm currently attending FIU, I got a few friend from cooper, but they don't own 350zs :P
Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't think you're in a position to buy a car.

I know it sucks and I know you really want the Z, but look long term. Go to law school, become a badass lawyer and buy any car you want.

Why buy something that you could barely afford on top of insane insurance premiums.

Plus what is going to happen when you're in law school? You're going to tell the bank you can't work so they need to wait until you're done?

Based on your information, you can afford a 350Z, but it's going to be a old, high mileage Z and might need repairs which will set you back even more.

With that being said, I bought my 08 Z back in 2010 when I was a sophmore in college, but I had 3 jobs making alot more then you make, and it was still a struggle some months.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Mikeman92

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I don't think you're in a position to buy a car.

I know it sucks and I know you really want the Z, but look long term. Go to law school, become a badass lawyer and buy any car you want.

Why buy something that you could barely afford on top of insane insurance premiums.

Plus what is going to happen when you're in law school? You're going to tell the bank you can't work so they need to wait until you're done?

Based on your information, you can afford a 350Z, but it's going to be a old, high mileage Z and might need repairs which will set you back even more.

With that being said, I bought my 08 Z back in 2010 when I was a sophmore in college, but I had 3 jobs making alot more then you make, and it was still a struggle some months.
I can't say much since I won't know for sure I have the new job till a couple of weeks, but if I do, I'll be able to afford it, and insurance won't be that bad. Gave a few vin #'s got a few quotes. Other than that you're right, until I get this job, hopefully >.<
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
tquill

It's just a car... 100% not worth trying to pay for at or near minimum wage. You probably won't listen, but hindsight will without a doubt prove me right.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Mikeman92

Originally Posted by tquill
It's just a car... 100% not worth trying to pay for at or near minimum wage. You probably won't listen, but hindsight will without a doubt prove me right.
Like I said, if I get the new job I'll be fine. Well above minimum wage..
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Listen to your dad. I wish I listened to mine when I bought my Civic. I finally listened to him when I bought the Z, I wanted a new 370Z and at the time could barely afford it and he told me to get a low mileage 350Z. It ended up being the best move for me, I have a great car that I love and I have payments that don't hurt my pocket at all.

Quick Reply: 20 years old, want to get a 350z