MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Buying/Leasing (https://my350z.com/forum/buying-leasing-396/)
-   -   thinking about picking up a Z...help me out (https://my350z.com/forum/buying-leasing/603185-thinking-about-picking-up-a-z-help-me-out.html)

03zee 04-18-2015 02:09 PM

thinking about picking up a Z...help me out

Whats up guys.. recently sold my e90 328 and have been thinking about picking up a Z. Found one locally that seemed like a decent deal but wanted some input and also some pros and cons. 2003 350z pearl white, fully loaded with 60k miles. Guy says he will take 10k.. not sure what the going rate it. Also, looking for some pros and cons with these cars. What can i expect power wise with full bolt ons? If i did decide to boost it, how well do these motors hold boost? Any known problems? Also, give me some suggestions on other cars to look in to in the 10-11k range (rwd/awd only)

travlee 04-18-2015 02:31 PM

sounds like you need to do some research! have you seen how much it is to boost these cars?

n0smoke 04-18-2015 03:01 PM

Use Google search like this...

example:

http://tayloreddesigns.biz/uploads/googlesearch.jpg

exchanging the search word "turbo" for whatever you want. If you want to find a specific group of words together, throw quotation marks around your search.

~~ "how to turbo" site:my350z.com ~~

turboed350z 04-18-2015 03:24 PM

Be prepare to spend 2-3x the cost of 5he car if you want to turbo it.

Like most pushrod of that year, the power linit is basically 400whp.

They suck with full bolt one. 300 whp is consider generous. Also parts are not cheap. Youlk probably end up spending 5k+ for full bolt on.

Eiyher way, the 350z isnt really the cheap building block to start with.

britalia 04-18-2015 03:34 PM

Someone tell dkmura to stay far away from this thread, he may just lose it completely..

sportbiketed 04-18-2015 04:03 PM

Just toss this kit in it and run her at 25PSI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSN-350Z-Z33-VQ35DE-370Z-Z34-NISMO-V6-T3-T4-TWIN-TURBO-CHARGER-KIT-800HP-RED-/231042118468?fits=Model%3A350Z&hash=item35cb2ef344&vxp=mtr

MicVelo 04-18-2015 04:43 PM

Omigosh, almost missed my cue!!

If you haven't already done so, consider driving school. Best transferable modification you can make.

Put some nice tires on it, tweak the suspension a bit, use new found driving skills with it. THAT. Is where the Z shines.

Whew, can't believe I haven't said that in over two months!! :p

Mic

Frank_White 04-18-2015 05:54 PM

the price shouldn't be your top priority because if your buying a cheap ticking time bomb, it going to cost you a lot more in the long run. 10k sounds good, but you should look for service records, history of the car, and just use your judgement about who your buying the car from (ie. 18 year old kid probably beat the hell out of the car).

Pros:
beautiful exterior that is aging really well in my opinion
great handling characteristics
amazing exhaust note
fairly reliable with affordable maintenance
great aftermarket
and going to feel faster then your bimmer

cons:
crappy interior; especially for the early year ones (ie. lots of plastic, rattles, and 1 cup holder >.< )
premature tire wear
stiff ride (if that's not your sort of thing) with the obvious space issue
oil consumption (nothing serious from my experience - 03 with 80k miles)
3rd gear grind from worn out syncros (haven't experienced it myself)

bolt on mod do little to nothing in terms of power gains
boosting it will cost you about twice or even three times what you pay for the car

if you do decide to go with the car, use search for your future questions, because people on this forum will eat you alive

good luck

bith8791 04-18-2015 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by britalia (Post 10582031)
Someone tell dkmura to stay far away from this thread, he may just lose it completely..

:icon18:

FOOKhonda 04-18-2015 07:15 PM

How ironic that another thread like this has popped up...

And he's asking just about every simple question at once that is easily found out by reading the first page of each sticky!

Like really people, you can find out this information a lot faster by searching yourself rather then making a useless thread with questions that have been answered 5x a week and waiting 24+ hrs for a legit answer.

I feel like the people that do these threads are the kids that had parents that spoon fed them everything and gave them anything they wanted without ever working for it.
If so don't expect for it to go that way here, get your big boy pants on and use google, which you do with every other freaking thing anyways, why not use it for this??....

Oh right.... Too much work huh?...

/end rant....

CNunes_95 04-18-2015 07:30 PM

If it was maintained well, that's not a bad deal at all! I bought my 03 in November with 77k miles for 11k. Spend another $900 for new tires. Overall, it's a great and fun car

Pros:
Beautiful exterior/Interior in my opinion. If you don't think so, there's a bunch of ways to customize and really make it pop. For example, wrapping the center console with carbon fiber wrap looks awesome! thats what I did on mine. Drives very well. Haven't had many problems with the car really

Cons:
The car is great to own and drive, but is a pain in the ass to work on >.< The car really pisses me off when I'm working on it because things never go simple with this car. Umm, 6MT tranny (in all 03's) are flawed due to premature syncro wear, primarily the 3rd gear syncro, which is what I am currently experiencing now, but still runs perfectly for daily driving. Oil consumption is a common issue. I did an oil change when I bought the car and now have 80k miles on it Today, I realized that I had burned about 1/2 a quart. No big deal, just refill it with a little more oil.

BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ASS: SHIFT KNOB REMOVAL. If you plan on getting a new shift knob, be ready to get really angry. You need hulk like strength to twist it off the shifter because it is thread locked/epoxy sealed. ****ing Nissan is retarded for this. Going back to this car being a pain in the ass, this was my #1 example... I ended up destroying my oem knob with vicegrips trying to take it off. But instead of screwing it off, I broke it off a long with the shift lever thread. After that, I had to spend the extra $$$ to buy a new oem shifter. Just a tip (if you go manual) stick with an oem shifter. Don't buy an aftermarket short shifter, as its not worth it. Too expensive. I bought a cheap one off of ebay and was the biggest mistake ever. If anything, just stick with the oem knob and boot

Aside from it being a pain in the ass to work on, for the most part, car is great!! :icon38:

03zee 04-19-2015 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda (Post 10582109)
How ironic that another thread like this has popped up...

And he's asking just about every simple question at once that is easily found out by reading the first page of each sticky!

Like really people, you can find out this information a lot faster by searching yourself rather then making a useless thread with questions that have been answered 5x a week and waiting 24+ hrs for a legit answer.

I feel like the people that do these threads are the kids that had parents that spoon fed them everything and gave them anything they wanted without ever working for it.
If so don't expect for it to go that way here, get your big boy pants on and use google, which you do with every other freaking thing anyways, why not use it for this??....

Oh right.... Too much work huh?...

/end rant....

lmao.. why does every forum of cool guys have atleast 1 dickhead in the group. im not sure where you would get the idea of "spoon fed and never worked" from me asking a question on a thread but not even close.. if you want to actually help and answer the question then cool but if youre going to come on just to be a c*ck sucker then feel free to come blow me. thank you to everybody who has actually be helpful

travlee 04-19-2015 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by 03zee (Post 10582011)
Whats up guys.. recently sold my e90 328 and have been thinking about picking up a Z. Found one locally that seemed like a decent deal but wanted some input and also some pros and cons. 2003 350z pearl white, fully loaded with 60k miles. Guy says he will take 10k.. not sure what the going rate it. Also, looking for some pros and cons with these cars. What can i expect power wise with full bolt ons? If i did decide to boost it, how well do these motors hold boost? Any known problems? Also, give me some suggestions on other cars to look in to in the 10-11k range (rwd/awd only)

you do want to be spoon fed .... everything you asked has been asked many of times in the 12 years it has been out

travlee 04-19-2015 05:24 AM

btw, calling someone a c*ck sucker in your second post isn't going to win you many friends or get you much help on here. i will give you one piece of advice, if you want to boost it call sam at GTM.... he will take care of you

FOOKhonda 04-19-2015 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 03zee (Post 10582160)
lmao.. why does every forum of cool guys have atleast 1 dickhead in the group. im not sure where you would get the idea of "spoon fed and never worked" from me asking a question on a thread but not even close.. if you want to actually help and answer the question then cool but if youre going to come on just to be a c*ck sucker then feel free to come blow me. thank you to everybody who has actually be helpful

Ha! Funny, try reading some of my posts, you'll easily find out I'm an extremely helpful person, and consider yourself lucky half these people did answer your question, because most likely they were staring at the reply screen for half an hour trying to decide to be helpful or make a post like mine, and obviously you've missed the sarcasm in half the other posts.
You obviously didn't even try to find your own answers because you would've never made this thread in the first place.

And fyi, just about everyone here can be a "dickhead".... I'm sure you'll probably soon find that out if you continue this way...

And sorry I'm not gay too, so blowing you is not in your future, maybe from your bf tho...

Toneloc 04-19-2015 08:21 AM

It cost 20 30 grand to boost a z? Are you guys noob idiots? If your talking about hitting 600hp plus then yes I could almost agree because of a built block....

Used turbo kit or supercharger kit 3 4k... Depending on what comes with the kit buying clutch, injectors etc tuned we are talking a total of 8k to boost a z... Tuned for under 400hp to keep within limits of the stock block...

As for Bolton s my base de z made 255hp with up Rev (exhaust, intake, intake spacer). Still enough pep for a naturally aspirated v6. Hr can make close to 300hp bolt on.

Hampton 04-19-2015 10:11 AM

Hey I have owned a BMW, corvette, several other sports cars and I enjoy my 04 touring 33 more than anything I have ever had. They are a blast to own and drive. Very dependable and fast out of the box. Buy one, forget all the drama.Yes they can be a pain ,but thats part of anything that runs like a bat out of hell. Find a solid one to start with. Have fun!!

turboed350z 04-19-2015 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Toneloc (Post 10582186)
It cost 20 30 grand to boost a z? Are you guys noob idiots? If your talking about hitting 600hp plus then yes I could almost agree because of a built block....

Used turbo kit or supercharger kit 3 4k... Depending on what comes with the kit buying clutch, injectors etc tuned we are talking a total of 8k to boost a z... Tuned for under 400hp to keep within limits of the stock block...

As for Bolton s my base de z made 255hp with up Rev (exhaust, intake, intake spacer). Still enough pep for a naturally aspirated v6. Hr can make close to 300hp bolt on.

Calls 90% of people who boosted their z that ended up spending over 20k a noob, doesnt even own a boosted z.

But thats none of my business....

Syner 04-19-2015 12:19 PM

https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-cont...sonPopcorn.gif

Toneloc 04-19-2015 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10582207)
Calls 90% of people who boosted their z that ended up spending over 20k a noob, doesnt even own a boosted z.

But thats none of my business....

If you had a shop do all your work then sure... 20k in a z is ridiculous... It better be burning tires in every gear... No I don't have a boosted z but I have a parts list and logical rational out look on what it would take... If you spent 20k show the parts list... I'm not including wheels suspension and lsd