Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

20 Year Old - New & Potential Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Punk Guitarist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 Year Old - New & Potential Owner!

Hi everyone!

Glad I could finally join the community - just got back from a holiday.

I find myself in a fortunate position; I am 20 years old and I have been in full time employment in the IT sector for one year. My parents bought me my first car which I have been driving for 3 years. I've always wanted a 350z, since it's launch in 2003. Now, I feel like owning one, particularly an 09 convertible GT, is a genuine possibility.

Now if I'm honest, I am on a starting salary. The acquisition of a car like this would cost the best part of a year's wage, so naturally, there are a number of questions bouncing round my head...

Firstly, let me give some figures:

- Insurance will cost me about £1000 for the first year.
- UK road tax will be £500.
- Fuel isn't really an issue because I have a very short commute.

Now the questions I have:

- Am I insane in thinking this is a possibility?
- Am I being financially optimistic?! Does anyone know roughly what the running costs of this car are?
- Will this car serve well as my only car?
- The cars I'm looking at have about 20-30,000 miles on the clock. Am I going to need to spend money replacing/fixing anything?

While I can afford this car (with finance - which I can secure), I'm just kinda concerned. I don't really know what I'm worried about, it just seems very unusual for someone my age to be cruising round in a 300hp sports car.

Thanks for reading and for any help. I look forward to being an active member of the forum!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:19 PM
blue06z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a new 350Z at the age of 21 as a daily driver.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

I prefer a fat safty net over a sport car i dont need. But thats just me.

Its up to you. If you feel yourr finacially stable, get it. If not, hold off, it can wait. Nothing worse than getting the car you want, only to be stuck in a position a few months-years later not being able to afford to keep it any longer.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:33 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I feel like a year's wages is a good amount to spend on a car, but it depends on the situation. If you already have a bunch saved up and don't foresee any large expenses coming up and are saving a decent amount of money each month after expenses then you will probably be okay. It's really a personal thing that you can answer easier than anyone on here.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Chrismx5

Originally Posted by Punk Guitarist
Hi everyone!

Glad I could finally join the community - just got back from a holiday.

I find myself in a fortunate position; I am 20 years old and I have been in full time employment in the IT sector for one year. My parents bought me my first car which I have been driving for 3 years. I've always wanted a 350z, since it's launch in 2003. Now, I feel like owning one, particularly an 09 convertible GT, is a genuine possibility.

Now if I'm honest, I am on a starting salary. The acquisition of a car like this would cost the best part of a year's wage, so naturally, there are a number of questions bouncing round my head...

Firstly, let me give some figures:

- Insurance will cost me about £1000 for the first year.
- UK road tax will be £500.
- Fuel isn't really an issue because I have a very short commute.

Now the questions I have:

- Am I insane in thinking this is a possibility?
- Am I being financially optimistic?! Does anyone know roughly what the running costs of this car are?
- Will this car serve well as my only car?
- The cars I'm looking at have about 20-30,000 miles on the clock. Am I going to need to spend money replacing/fixing anything?

While I can afford this car (with finance - which I can secure), I'm just kinda concerned. I don't really know what I'm worried about, it just seems very unusual for someone my age to be cruising round in a 300hp sports car.

Thanks for reading and for any help. I look forward to being an active member of the forum!

- Am I insane in thinking this is a possibility? Yes, it's a possibility, I wouldn't EVER buy a car with finance, I would lease > Finance

- Am I being financially optimistic?! Does anyone know roughly what the running costs of this car are? Preventative Maintenance is a big one on my books. Brake pads aren't cheap, fluids ever 3,000 miles, tires, bushings if needed, modifications???

- Will this car serve well as my only car? Hmm, it's my only car so I can only speak from my opinion, it does me well, it's only two seater, two door, but I only cart myself around. I also abuse the car at a race track which makes things a little stressful at times

- The cars I'm looking at have about 20-30,000 miles on the clock. Am I going to need to spend money replacing/fixing anything? Read above
Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. If you feel comfortable about the Price and can afford it - good. But don't go into a debt you can't afford.
2. I am on my 3rd. A 260Z, 280Z, and now a 280Z. They all got good gas mileage - not an issue there of course. Bought my first Z at a young age and felt as you do, and never looked back.
3. Minor upkeep - regular maintenance and will be a good daily car. Only car you would need.
I have had my current Z since 2003 and is like a new car to me yet.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Frank_White

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i work part time 20 hours a week and can maintain a 03 z quiet easily
Old 04-21-2015, 03:44 AM
Punk Guitarist

Default Thanks for the responses

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

I think I'm going to go for it.

As I said I just returned from a holiday. My manager told me he'd recommended me for an increase in pay! It's a sign
Old 04-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Punk Guitarist

Default Test Drives Organised

I am due to try two 09 reg 350z Convertibles this weekend! I'm sure it will be a great upgrade from my 09 1.2 Corsa haha
Old 04-21-2015, 07:27 AM
JKoobir

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you'll be ok, i purchased my 08 Nismo working part time working at best buy. know your budget and what you can afford. nothing worse than being chained to car payment and not being able to do anything else. a good good down payment helps !
Old 04-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

How much do you have up front?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:39 PM
jasonc624

Default 22 here

I bought mine at 21 I am currently 22 in a similar field. I financed mine used. I want to invest in real estate, I find that difficult with the hefty amount I pay for insurance, the gas it uses, the preventative maintenance (as stated). A car is a depreciation asset, no matter how much you put into it, you'll never make a profit. I wish I could have leased it instead. If I could go back in time I probably still would have bought it because of all the compliments I get, plus I got laid the first week of owning it. Idk man its a tough call.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Punk Guitarist

Originally Posted by jasonc624
I got laid the first week of owning it. Idk man its a tough call.
Hahahaha! My girlfriend certainly likes the concept of being driven round in a sports car.

Final decision: I am thinking with my heart, not with my head. While I can afford the car, I would not be able to afford anything else... I am saving good amounts each month so maybe this time next year. Would be an excellent 21st birthday present to myself.

Thanks again for all the responses. While I'm somewhat disappointed now, I will be more financially secure in the near future.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Punk Guitarist
Hahahaha! My girlfriend certainly likes the concept of being driven round in a sports car.

Final decision: I am thinking with my heart, not with my head. While I can afford the car, I would not be able to afford anything else... I am saving good amounts each month so maybe this time next year. Would be an excellent 21st birthday present to myself.

Thanks again for all the responses. While I'm somewhat disappointed now, I will be more financially secure in the near future.

Finacial experts advice that to truely be able to "afford" a big purchase like a car, boat or condo, you should be able to buy it 2x inthe event that emergency comes up or the item needs fixing. Otherswise youre not really able to "afford" it
Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

This is just my inner judgemental self speaking but please don't get a convertible Z. It's like a wolf in barbie dolls clothing.

Anyways, I bought my Z in cash when I was 21. Best decision ever. Take care of it and it will return the favor. Good luck
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 AM
jasonc624

Originally Posted by JKoobir
i think you'll be ok, i purchased my 08 Nismo working part time working at best buy. know your budget and what you can afford. nothing worse than being chained to car payment and not being able to do anything else. a good good down payment helps !
I don't even see how that is possible, I worked part time at BestBuy too, at most you could possibly be bringing $500/mo after taxes. The only way I got mine was because I had money from a total loss to use as down payment, and I parted out 2 cars.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:18 AM
turboed350z

I don't even see how that is possible, I worked part time at BestBuy too, at most you could possibly be bringing $500/mo after taxes. The only way I got mine was because I had money from a total loss to use as down payment, and I parted out 2 cars.

You save alot of money when you live with mommy and daddy 😂
Old 04-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

I bought mine at 21 I am currently 22 in a similar field. I financed mine used. I want to invest in real estate, I find that difficult with the hefty amount I pay for insurance, the gas it uses, the preventative maintenance (as stated). A car is a depreciation asset, no matter how much you put into it, you'll never make a profit. I wish I could have leased it instead. If I could go back in time I probably still would have bought it because of all the compliments I get, plus I got laid the first week of owning it. Idk man its a tough call.
lol @ considering leasing and getting hood-rat tail because of the car you drive...
Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Syner
lol @ considering leasing and getting hood-rat tail because of the car you drive...
Them broke boys be trying to ball on a budget. #yolo #swag
Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Dude if you're 20 years old and you can get fully comp insurance for £1K you are either a very lucky boy or you have contacts within the insurance industry or both. Most insurance companies won't even quote you on an 09 350Z. If you can get insurance you'll be looking at a minimum of £3000. If i were you I'd wait until you're 25, building up your no-claims and then getting a reasonable quote. UK insurance is a license to print money and you know it so I'd love to know who quoted you £1K for a 300bhp sports car. Your first car which probably was a real beast with all of its 75bhp will have really prepared you for driving a rear wheel sports car and your insurance company will be even more cynical than i am. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: 20 Year Old - New & Potential Owner!