Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

How to approach seller

Old 05-16-2016, 08:48 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts
Default How to approach seller

So i was looking around for a g35, and i finally find one i liked. Low mileage (under 100k), black leather, auto, white,black or silver. Clean title. And the following fits it perfectly.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5586260789.html

However, the price is extremely high. I overpaid for both my 350z and would rather not overpaid for this too. So how do you guys suggest i approach the seller? Hes asking 13.5k, book value and market value is around 8k where im at.

So how do i make a fair offer without sounding offensive and balling on a budget?

Yea i could wait for a different one, but by then, hell probably come down on price so either way, its awaiting game, and i would rather not play.

Any suggestion from my older members?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

its almost like he added in all the parts he has on it into the price. i would just be honest with him, talk to him face to face and go from there
Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
So i was looking around for a g35, and i finally find one i liked. Low mileage (under 100k), black leather, auto, white,black or silver. Clean title. And the following fits it perfectly.

However, the price is extremely high. I overpaid for both my 350z and would rather not overpaid for this too. So how do you guys suggest i approach the seller? Hes asking 13.5k, book value and market value is around 8k where im at.

So how do i make a fair offer without sounding offensive and balling on a budget?

Yea i could wait for a different one, but by then, hell probably come down on price so either way, its awaiting game, and i would rather not play.

One of the key things to do up front is to introduce yourself properly. Let them know you're a serious, cash buyer, not a scammer, and are an enthusiast. That's an effective way of letting them know, "I'm not stupid." What this does is it will weed out the people serious about selling and are not misrepresenting what they're selling. You'd be surprised how many people won't call back if they know something's up with the car and they're hoping for a sucker. CL is full of them.

Key point in ANY negotiation: have legitimate reasons for offering a lower price. Be it "market value", or "car needs work such as ________, _________, and, ______________."

Point these things out with a smile and a humble attitude.

Don't low ball. Nothing turns a seller off more than this. That's why I won't use craigslist. Ugggggh.

Take emotion out of the discussion. Never show them how much you want the ___________ (whatever it is you're buying.)

Most importantly, be ready to walk. There's tons more where that came from and if you suspect ANYTHING hinky, just thank them for their time and say, "no thanks".

I could go on but won't risk alienating you with more "Sales 101" - AKA "how to be a savvy buyer".
Old 05-16-2016, 09:07 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by travlee
its almost like he added in all the parts he has on it into the price. i would just be honest with him, talk to him face to face and go from there
Thats what i was thinking. Hes trying to get back every penny he put into it. And when people tries that, it makes me hesitant to want and negotiate.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
One of the key things to do up front is to introduce yourself properly. Let them know you're a serious, cash buyer, not a scammer, and are an enthusiast. That's an effective way of letting them know, "I'm not stupid." What this does is it will weed out the people serious about selling and are not misrepresenting what they're selling. You'd be surprised how many people won't call back if they know something's up with the car and they're hoping for a sucker. CL is full of them.

Key point in ANY negotiation: have legitimate reasons for offering a lower price. Be it "market value", or "car needs work such as ________, _________, and, ______________."

Point these things out with a smile and a humble attitude.

Don't low ball. Nothing turns a seller off more than this. That's why I won't use craigslist. Ugggggh.

Take emotion out of the discussion. Never show them how much you want the ___________ (whatever it is you're buying.)

Most importantly, be ready to walk. There's tons more where that came from and if you suspect ANYTHING hinky, just thank them for their time and say, "no thanks".

I could go on but won't risk alienating you with more "Sales 101" - AKA "how to be a savvy buyer".
I agree with everything that you pointed out. Along with the "dont low ball." But its hard not to lowbalk when hes asking almost 2x the gping rate haha
Old 05-16-2016, 01:24 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I agree with everything that you pointed out. Along with the "dont low ball." But its hard not to lowbalk when hes asking almost 2x the gping rate haha
I hear ya but if you approach him/her logically and gently point out that the add-ons don't mean anything and you do so rationally, your offer doesn't come off as a "lowball". Unsatisfactory and refusable perhaps but not as an a'hole maneuver. Trust me, I know those when I smell 'em.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:45 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Say... ill give you 8k ***** take it or leave it... Then throw $10 at them and say here are some happiness coupons...

But honestly if someone is that far off I usually wont even bother.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:04 PM
turboed350z

So contacted the seller, ask a few question, things were smooth until i asked "so whats the real price youll take for it? Your askin price is about 6k about market. Any wiggle room?".....

And nothing.... guess hes pretty firm at 13k... haha
Old 05-16-2016, 03:12 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

some young idiot will have his parents pay for it
Old 05-16-2016, 03:14 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Hey I have a low mileage camry se I'll sell you for market value... Its super sporty and the peppy 2.5 engine is just enough to get that boat moving at a medium pace.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Hey I have a low mileage camry se I'll sell you for market value... Its super sporty and the peppy 2.5 engine is just enough to get that boat moving at a medium pace.
Whats funny was i actually am thinking of a camry.... fatherhood sucks... lol
Old 05-16-2016, 04:09 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Lol so does the Camry... Its reliable and safe and not at all fun to drive... We do like the Honda element though... It's like the go too car.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 05-16-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I would phone or email him and go right to the point.

Be polite, proper and ask him questions about the car. Sound as serious as you are. Peoples biggest mistake is off the bat ask about pricing. Big cheap a$$ red flag... And acting like a hard douche will usually set them in not working with you or telling you to F your self.

Again ask him questions about mods, service record, this that anything and then after a good feel and flowing convo and find things out you actually want to know, then ask if they are dead set on price. Then see where they go from there.

But from my personal experience with CL. Its an A/T with all show no go mods. G35 not a Z so he prefers style over "raw performance" sports car. Guy is probably wanting everything if not more than what he put into it includng time. Wont budge (cocky you need me more than I need you type) and probably wont sell unless someone begs for it and matches his asking price hoping for someone with too much money or a hungry car starved kid with their parents money.

But again start with contacting and go from there.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If it sounds like a duck, smells like a cuck, walks like a f*ck, don't give him your money.

No but by the sounds of it this guy is an asswad. I knew an old guy selling his 535i. Same price as the g35 here. It was nice, clean. But 130k miles. Way over value price.

Can't do anything. Some people just think their sh** don't smell and their dollar is worth twice as much.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Tell the guy for only $5K more, you can get THIS.

Then see if he's willing to negotiate a little more.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

DON'T try to negotiate a lower price over the phone - especially if you haven't looked at the car in person.

I've sold two vehicles privately in the last year; both times were basically somebody showing up, check in hand, and just signing paperwork. If they get pushy before even seeing the car, I tell them it's not going to happen - if they keep trying, I just hang up and block their number.

Last edited by Syner; 05-25-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM
MrAlien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just offer $8k, what does he matter if he gets butt hurt by the offer?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:19 PM
corbin9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, with the amount of 16 year olds getting Z, and the recent price drops I would hold out if I were him. For every 1 clean Z I found when I was looking, I found 5 with salvage titles that were beat to ****.

These aren't collector cars by any means, but finding the right buyer makes sense. I just paid almost 7k for an 03 with 130k miles on it, it is pristine no accidents, had folders of maintenance, and I knew exactly what I was going to have to replace prior to buying it.

I know I wouldn't sell it for the 5900 "market value" that the internet says it should be valued at.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:09 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

$7k for a clean '03?

I listed my '04 for $15k two weeks ago (a couple rock chips and needed front tires). The first caller came out to take it three days later...