Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

SCCA autocross

Old 02-10-2017, 02:51 PM
TuckerZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA autocross

I have started autocross (SCCA) using my 06 350Z Automatic (81K). Pivot response is killing me; brake down, down shift to 1st, floor it, wait for a heartbeat, then respond: all fluid has been replaced, etc. I think it is time for a change.

The Z is half DD.

Get a used 350Z manual with decent miles?
Good: It will stay in class C

Get a 370Z manual Base?
Badish: Now in class B.
Good; The base unit still has 18 inch rims but my 350Z track tires are near to end of life.

Get a 370Z manual Sport?
Bad: The rims are now 19 inch (higher cost).
Good: Stills in class B.

Dunno: Sport has SynchroRev Match which may help; but the 370z Nismo guy said he turns it off (I did not talk directly to him)

I am not going to Nationals, just doing local SCCA events.

I guess I need to come to a conclusion before my track tires die (or at least before I buy new)

Thoughts?
Thanks
Old 02-10-2017, 05:26 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Noticed the same problem at the track in an 08 auto. I have a shift kit I'll be installing soon, don't know if it will fix it or not. Hoping it does. If you wanna wait a month for me to do I'll let you know
Old 02-10-2017, 06:04 PM
TuckerZ

Am in no rush, very curious ether way tho
Old 02-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

FWIW the rev match feature is great. I have driven a lot of them and it always gets the revs right.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:38 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by TuckerZ
I have started autocross (SCCA) using my 06 350Z Automatic (81K). Pivot response is killing me; brake down, down shift to 1st, floor it, wait for a heartbeat, then respond: all fluid has been replaced, etc. I think it is time for a change.
Thanks
Please explain "pivot response" to me. This is a terminology usually associated with the treatment of autism. Using it in terms of automobiles is a new on me.

Also, not really sure what you're asking.... what car to get to be competitive in AX but concerned with the competitiveness in a given class?

Def well founded concern.... Friend of mine bought a 370Z he bought for National-level competition this year. Dumped it when they re-classed the car right at the Winter Slush event. (Like first event of year.) Gotta love how the sanctioning bodies work in Last Minute Looey fashion.

On the upside.... I got his wheels at a good price cuz his new car uses a different bolt pattern.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:33 AM
TuckerZ

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Please explain "pivot response" to me. This is a terminology usually associated with the treatment of autism. Using it in terms of automobiles is a new on me.

Also, not really sure what you're asking.... what car to get to be competitive in AX but concerned with the competitiveness in a given class?

We run at two airport locations; one is just a larger square area and the other site is a long taxiway (it is 80 feet wide). That site's course set up typically will have a slalom at one end which will require you to run the slalom, 180 degree turn (the pivot), then re-enter the slalom to return.

What am I asking? Good question, I ain't that good of a driver.

The 350Z automatic has lag in 1st. I don't want to go to the A class. Move to a 370z manual (stay in B) but then get a Base or Sport – I don't know enough about the rev match that is in the Sport model. Wait for coletrickle and see what happens with his shift kit. Or....

Just looking for general AX opinions, I guess

-good news for you on the wheels tho.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:55 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

We run at two airport locations; one is just a larger square area and the other site is a long taxiway (it is 80 feet wide). That site's course set up typically will have a slalom at one end which will require you to run the slalom, 180 degree turn (the pivot), then re-enter the slalom to return.

The 350Z automatic has lag in 1st. I don't want to go to the A class. Move to a 370z manual (stay in B) but then get a Base or Sport – I don't know enough about the rev match that is in the Sport model. Wait for coletrickle and see what happens with his shift kit. Or....

Ahhh, OK, gottit. Pivot.... never heard it described as such - at least not in road racing. Turn 2 LSIR, Turn 7 Sears.... pivots. Laff...

Regarding the lag in 1st.... can you pre-load the trans by two footing? Like, when you downshift you're already giving a blip of the throttle, yes? Instead of just a blip, can you blip to match and use trailing throttle while left footing the anchor pedal to scrub speed?

That works in my automatic cars when driven hard.... left foot trail brake to keep front planted going into the turn and right foot to get the car out of it. Not sure how that would work in an autocross situation. Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:51 AM
TuckerZ

Originally Posted by MicVelo

Regarding the lag in 1st.... can you pre-load the trans by two footing? Like, when you downshift you're already giving a blip of the throttle, yes? Instead of just a blip, can you blip to match and use trailing throttle while left footing the anchor pedal to scrub speed?
Maybe, haven't tried that.

It will down shift: running in 2nd, down shift (sometimes twice to get the response) during the turn, the lag is on acceleration once I am aligned for the launch.

But, mommy said I can get a new Z..... and a puppy!!
Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

At 80 feet wide you should be able to straighten a 180 out...change your line and stay in 2nd. autos and sticks hitting 1st, most of the time it's not worth 2 gear changes and maybe a stick miss shift. Change your line - keep your apex speed up. Are you hitting a late apex?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:52 AM
TuckerZ

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Change your line - keep your apex speed up. Are you hitting a late apex?
I am still struggling with that. I am told that I am either early or late but never correct.

I am hitting a late apex (usually) but am consistently late on the acceleration

Last edited by TuckerZ; 02-12-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Maybe, haven't tried that.

It will down shift: running in 2nd, down shift (sometimes twice to get the response) during the turn, the lag is on acceleration once I am aligned for the launch.

But, mommy said I can get a new Z..... and a puppy!!
Hence my thought on a rev match and pre-loading the trans for the exit. You should be in the correct gear for exit. (But again, what do I know.... not a good AX'r. Laff....)

Then again, it could be that your slush box is just that, too safeguarded by electronics and slushy for the corner. Never driven an automatic Z/G in anything requiring a first gear exit.

My vote on something new. 370Z Sport just for the big brakes. Category be dammed. If you're not looking for Nationals qualifying points, ehhhh, I'd just go out to learn and have fun. Although it'd be nice to end with wood at some point, I totally get that. (Not that kind of wood, you pervs!.... The trophy/plaque kind!) You can always put 18's on the car to keep costs down. Pretty sure that'd be legal but check your current GCR anyways!

Last edited by MicVelo; 02-12-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:57 PM
carbuffguy

I am still struggling with that. I am told that I am either early or late but never correct.

I am hitting a late apex (usually) but am consistently late on the acceleration
do your braking before the turn in, smooth on the gas late apex, maybe a bit loose, get er straight and go...Got to hit your apex without coasting and maybe you can stay in two.
Better late (apex) then never haha
It's common myself included to turn in to soon. Take a vet with ya till you get it right

As said, have fun, it's why you go. Serious = disappointment
The fact that you're ready to give up on the car is too serious - lots of guys out there autoxing a 5at myself included.
I'm not cool with a hard down gear into first in mine.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:31 PM
TuckerZ

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
do your braking before the turn in, smooth on the gas late apex, maybe a bit loose, get er straight and go...Got to hit your apex without coasting and maybe you can stay in two.
Better late (apex) then never haha
It's common myself included to turn in to soon. Take a vet with ya till you get it right
Yes, brake before.
Smooth on the gas: off the gas.
get er straight and go: ummmm....probably to late on the gas.

Thanks. I think, as much as I want it to be behind the steering wheel, it is more the operator in the front of the wheel.

After reading responses I think I am moving towards: learn how to drive mo' better, then, maybe, another vehicle.

Yes, I am using vet(s) but I now think not often enuf.

Thanks to all for input.

coletrickle74: still would like to know of your results.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:20 PM
carbuffguy

Yes, brake before.
Smooth on the gas: off the gas.
get er straight and go: ummmm....probably to late on the gas.

Thanks. I think, as much as I want it to be behind the steering wheel, it is more the operator in the front of the wheel.

After reading responses I think I am moving towards: learn how to drive mo' better, then, maybe, another vehicle.

Yes, I am using vet(s) but I now think not often enuf.

Thanks to all for input.

coletrickle74: still would like to know of your results.
"Yes, brake before.
Smooth on the gas: off the gas.right here - off the gas should loosen the rear a bit, not carrying enough speed if it doesn't -go faster or don't let up and find the sweet spot - on the gas or on the brake no coasting
ahh listen to me. if i could do this in real time...i'd be faster too haha

get er straight and go: ummmm....probably to late on the gas."

Good decision keeping the car...for now

ps You should be in the Motorsport forum there's brainiacs there

Search this Thread