Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Looking to Get Back Into the Family

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:12 AM
CanZFan

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking to Get Back Into the Family

I have a special place in my heart for Nissan cars. My first two cars were a Datsun 510, and an '84 300zx, respectively. So, now some 22 years after parting with my beloved Z, I have the itch again.

A couple of years ago I purchased a new Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium 3.8 m/t, thinking that would satiate the sports car itch. I think buyers get a lot for the price, but the handling wasn't exacly razor sharp, and it just didn't feel like there were 348 horses under the hood. Also didn't like the clutch and transmission feel.

So the GenCoupe is gone, and now I have my sights set on a 350Z. Like my GC, it will be my summer toy. I want to find one that hasn't been modded and is in excellent condition. Most of the cars I've found are 2005 Anniversary Editions, but many have been modded or are fairly high mileage.

I did find this one, which I am going to see tomorrow:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/s...ationFlag=true

According to the owner, it has not be modified in any way. He's asking a little higher than average asking prices, but the mileage is only 38,500. I'm a bit curious why he didn't post current pics as it seems the car was owned by the VW dealership in these pics. Obviously not the original owner.

The only real negative I've heard about the AE is the Revups tendency to consume oil, and its lower torque. I know the newer cars are a better choice, but an 07-08 is out of my budget. Opinions?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:54 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Looks bone stock and very clean. (I have a Mag Black 06 roadster and love it.) So that's right about $13k USD, Which is on the high side, but it's hardly broken in. My DE uses almost no oil @ 105K.
A small detail vs 2006+ is the led tails and Bi Xenon headlamps which are nice.

If I were in the market I'd ask for a 24 hr test drive to have my mechanic look it over. (Which is what I did, they agreed). Then offer 90% out the door, they will counter.
GL, let us know!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:21 PM
CanZFan

Originally Posted by jhc
Looks bone stock and very clean. (I have a Mag Black 06 roadster and love it.) So that's right about $13k USD, Which is on the high side, but it's hardly broken in. My DE uses almost no oil @ 105K.
A small detail vs 2006+ is the led tails and Bi Xenon headlamps which are nice.

If I were in the market I'd ask for a 24 hr test drive to have my mechanic look it over. (Which is what I did, they agreed). Then offer 90% out the door, they will counter.
GL, let us know!
Interesting that I saw a beautiful example of a black Roadster today in a parking lot. These cars really stand out in a crowd; what a timeless and classic design.

Thanks for the tip re: the headlamps and tail lights. I've been trying to research the differences in trim levels and model years. It seems the AE works best for me, as I really love leather seats (particularly the two-tone tan/black).

I wish I could do the 24 test drive, but I live 2 hours from the seller, and I'm going back to work the day after tomorrow. Hard to find a local car. There was a tempting one last week: a 2005 Base model with only 21,000 miles on it. Sold in an estate sell. It was on the site less than a week. I didn't care for orange though.

I will definitely do a pre-purchase inspection, most likely at a Nissan dealership. I'm kind of 'assuming' (really hoping) that the motor doesn't use much oil, as the seller runs synthetic.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:35 PM
CanZFan

Saw and drove the car today, and I must say it was silky smooth. Handled very well, felt tight, no difficulty engaging or shifting gears. With the windows down, didn't hear any clunks or clicks. Mechanically, the car seems to be in excellent condition.

Body wise there are no damages, but it will need a good paint polishing, as there is a myraid of swirl marks and fine scratches on most panels. Also found a little curb rash on each wheel. Driver's side headlamp is new, as is the front bumper. Apparently, the previous owner had a little fender bender. Detailing is my hobby so let the fun begin!

Interior looked excellent as well, but the leather seats are crying for a cleaning and conditioning. Very few scratches on the door grab handles. Everything on the car is stock, including the Bose stereo.

The car will need an oil change very soon, and the owner said he will leave that to the buyer. Oddly enough, he told me the car doesn't use ANY oil between services, AND he is using full synthetic. Is that even possible with the Rev-up engine? If it is, it's great to hear.

Price wise, I asked if he would do $15,000. He said he will drop down to $16,200, and that's it. It's a little more than I wanted to pay, but the mileage is way lower than most of the cars I've found. Next step is to have Nissan give it a going over.

Last edited by CanZFan; 07-03-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Welcome to Magnetic Black lol. Clay is your new best friend. Let us know...btw does it have a CarFax?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:27 PM
CanZFan

Originally Posted by jhc
Welcome to Magnetic Black lol. Clay is your new best friend. Let us know...btw does it have a CarFax?
Yes, clay and my trusty Porter Cable, lol. No CarFax, but I had him send me the VIN so I can run one myself. He doesn't know when the fluids (other than oil and brake) were done last. May be a wise idea to do the fluids since there are no records.

Just did the Carproof (here in Canada), only thing that showed was the fender bender, no liens or other surprises. $51 bucks though!

Last edited by CanZFan; 07-05-2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 AM
CanZFan

I had the car inspected at Nissan yesterday, and it passed with flying colors. The front tires are virtually brand new, rears have about 75% left, brakes have 70% left, no leaks anywhere. They found three minor issues:

- Wiper blades need replacing
- Very occasion small squeak from a front suspension bushing
- Battery cable ends need to be replaced

I can't pick up the car for a couple of weeks, (damn work!) so the seller will keep in his garage. Kind of amusing that the seller 'forgot' that we had agreed on $16,200, and expected me to pay his original asking price of $16,900. Good thing I reminded him . Nice try though. I ensured to secure the deal by putting a $2,000 deposit on it. Really hope he doesn't keep driving it though.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:49 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Pics when you bring it home!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:29 AM
CanZFan

Originally Posted by jhc
Pics when you bring it home!

Absolutely! Can't wait to take out all the scuffs, scratches, and swirl marks. Based on your experience with this paint, would you say the paint is on the soft side, or fairly durable?
Old 07-14-2017, 09:27 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I'm no expert, but I would start on the worst panel with an orange pad and Meguiers 205. If that doesn't clean it up, go to Meguiers 105 and 2 step it.