Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

menzerna "power gloss" vs "SIP" super intensive polish!which one??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default menzerna "power gloss" vs "SIP" super intensive polish!which one??

which one should i get? i've been detailing all the black cars in my circle and i have found my combo washing, clay, orange pad, intensive polish and final polish2, final touch glaze, FMJ to remove about 75-80% of scratches/swirls. it looks very nice, but it's very time consuming if you're new to detailing. i'm about to go ***** out and get a foamed purple pad and either the power gloss or SIP in conjuction with the current products i use. i need to get the deeper stuff out. will i be ok with the final polish2 after using a foamed purple pad and either of those heavy cutting compounds? i'm thinking SIP sounds more advanced and might save me some time, but if it doesn't have as much cut as the cheaper power gloss than that's a loss. so thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

umm, where do i start with your questions...

SIP and IP are about the same. SIP just doesn't dust as much.

No, you can't go from purple wool straight to Menzerna final polish.

Powergloss is a bit too much for most cars i do. With the right detailer, SIP with a 3000rpm rotary will work.

Try this, get SIP with an orange pad, Po106fa with a white pad, Final Polish II with a blue pad. that should finish down nicely.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:31 AM
VQdriver

ah, sounds like a plan. i forgot to mention that i'm using a PC to your rotary buffer. maybe there's plenty of room left with me to improve upon my technique using IP and FP2. i just notice hairline scratches being left behind. when i read the product reviews on the detailed image site the wool pad, power gloss sound promising. mind you my car is a black '05 that's never been polished after leaving the dealer lot. it averages a carwash every 1.5-2months, maybe longer during winter. time to finish my car today! lol
Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 AM
My350P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random: What's with all of the polish/wax companies that are spanish names starting with M? Menzerna, Migliore, Meguiar's...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superblack is right.. SIP doesnt cause a bunch of mess.. SIP actually caused more haze when i used it and when i switches to 06Off @6krpm, I found it pretty effective.. Never tried power gloss yet though..

I only disagree with Superblack in saying you do need a porta cable type buffer.. I found that to remove the swirls etc you must take those polishes up to a higher rpm to be very effective..

Also for a good reference use the detailed image website www.detailedimage.com.. There is a few vids there on buffing, i found it very helpful, and effective!!

Last edited by Jay'Z; 09-16-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 AM
jmark

Get a Flex.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 AM
VQdriver

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Superblack is right.. SIP doesnt cause a bunch of mess.. SIP actually caused more haze when i used it and when i switches to 06Off @6krpm, I found it pretty effective.. Never tried power gloss yet though..

I only disagree with Superblack in saying you do need a porta cable type buffer.. I found that to remove the swirls etc you must take those polishes up to a higher rpm to be very effective..

Also for a good reference use the detailed image website www.detailedimage.com.. There is a few vids there on buffing, i found it very helpful, and effective!!
i think superblack is using a straight up rotary buffer which has a lot more heat and power than our porter cables. maybe i'll experiment using setting 6. all this time i've been spreading with 3 and polishing with setting 5.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by VQdriver
i think superblack is using a straight up rotary buffer which has a lot more heat and power than our porter cables. maybe i'll experiment using setting 6. all this time i've been spreading with 3 and polishing with setting 5.

Ok cool.. I wanna upgrade to a flex... BTW dont be afraid of setting 6, yes you will actually start seeing the car polish at that high setting.... Its amazing and fun..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 09-16-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 AM
SuperBlack350z

6 rpm? whoa, what machine are you using..lol.

I still use my PC when i need to. Some paints, it's really hard to finish halogram free and there is where the PC comes in handy.

Also, make sure to use setting 6 on the PC for the correction then turn back down to 5 or 4 and move it around on the paint to finish off.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM
VQdriver

so i finished my g35 today. it took me all afternoon to do both polishes, glaze, and fmj. the car looks stunning. it could have taken me around 8hrs combined to do inside and out?! how long does it take the pros? i might step up to a rotary buffer next year. which one would you suggest? sheesh my hands and middle back hurt lol.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
6 rpm? whoa, what machine are you using..lol.

I still use my PC when i need to. Some paints, it's really hard to finish halogram free and there is where the PC comes in handy.

Also, make sure to use setting 6 on the PC for the correction then turn back down to 5 or 4 and move it around on the paint to finish off.
I typed 6k D.K. (detail king).. I will remember to use 5,4 when finishing off..

Pretty much buy all my stuff from Detailed Image.. I will be getting the supernatural wax as soon as my p21s wax is done... I found a new love for detailing because of this FORUM.. Thanks fellas...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by VQdriver
so i finished my g35 today. it took me all afternoon to do both polishes, glaze, and fmj. the car looks stunning. it could have taken me around 8hrs combined to do inside and out?! how long does it take the pros? i might step up to a rotary buffer next year. which one would you suggest? sheesh my hands and middle back hurt lol.

take your machine time and cut it in half and maybe sometimes more with a rotary.

Usually with the PC, you have to go and do the same panels 2-4 times just to get it where you are satified with the paint. But with a rotary, it can take only 1 or 2 passes at most.

Plus, rotaries doesn't shake your hands loose like the PC on setting 6.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM
SuperBlack350z

I typed 6k D.K. (detail king).. I will remember to use 5,4 when finishing off..

Pretty much buy all my stuff from Detailed Image.. I will be getting the supernatural wax as soon as my p21s wax is done... I found a new love for detailing because of this FORUM.. Thanks fellas...

lol.

I like detailed image because they don't sell any crappy brands just to distribute products. They get exactly what is needed and they get very good stuff. That's why they are sucessful. They don't add unnecessary brands and products. You'll see a lot of the same products used by pros on super cars.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
SpecC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some people can actually finish with power gloss or super intense polish but that's a different league of detailing
Old 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM
VQdriver

Originally Posted by SpecC
some people can actually finish with power gloss or super intense polish but that's a different league of detailing
is this true? i remember a few years ago the manager of my local bodyshop said they have such an advanced polish that they only use one step for most jobs. the can he was holding looked like a generic version of 3m rubbing compound. granted i know these bodyshops need to get cars in and out so they probably condense their routines. i'd like to know how they do it.