Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Deep(ish) Headlight Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 PM
LeviEubanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deep(ish) Headlight Scratches

Alright so I was working on a project earlier today with my headlights and I was using a razor blade to cut vinyl that was laid on them. Needless to say, I changed my mind and removed the vinyl but there are now some rather deep scratches on my headlights from the razor blade that I used. I can feel them when I rub my hand over them and when I scratch them with my nails. I'm thinking about wetsanding them but I was wondering if anyone here had some good advice?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 PM
hyuk28719

Originally Posted by LeviEubanks
Alright so I was working on a project earlier today with my headlights and I was using a razor blade to cut vinyl that was laid on them. Needless to say, I changed my mind and removed the vinyl but there are now some rather deep scratches on my headlights from the razor blade that I used. I can feel them when I rub my hand over them and when I scratch them with my nails. I'm thinking about wetsanding them but I was wondering if anyone here had some good advice?
Judging from your post, you were tinting your headlights and you were clueless of what you were doing. If you wetsand, you will eventually smooth everything out, but it can be pain in the *** depending on the degree and the severeness of the scratch. I would just live with it or swap lenses
Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 PM
LeviEubanks

I wasn't tinting my headlights, I was messing around with different vinyl shapes to cover the lens. You know how some people do the "evil eye" look with vinyl? I was trying different shapes. It's either I wetsand and buff them or just replace them with 06' headlights. I guess I don't really have anything to lose do I? lol
Old 04-07-2012, 02:58 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why a template (mockup) should be created first. You never do anything like this on the fly, especially on the finished piece. And vinyl doesn't need much to get cut, that's if you're working with a new blade.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:26 AM
JCITY
Banned

Thumbs up Good advice

Originally Posted by cgkp0925

This is why a template (mockup) should be created first. You never do anything like this on the fly, especially on the finished piece. And vinyl doesn't need much to get cut, that's if you're working with a new blade.

Good luck with the repair.
I agree,always cut a template or pattern of the piece you are trying to make.
Also,in the better safe than sorry category,when doing a install project around surrounding panels,its a good idea to apply masking tape around
the perimeter.This guards from any slips you may have from paint,adhesive etc.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:29 AM
white boy

I'd put06 headlights
Old 04-07-2012, 05:36 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another I dont see jack reply.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM
LeviEubanks

All of these replies but no answer to my original question. What method of wetsanding should I use?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

you should NOT wet sand your lights.
ther is a coating impregnated into the outer layer from the factory, no you cant duplicate it, and if you do sand and clear coat, your lights will never look the same.
buy a new light if it really bothers you..

why you didnt cut the vinyl while OFF the light is beyond all common sense and reason.

enjoy your scratched lights.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 PM
350ZNISMO673

Originally Posted by JCITY
I agree,always cut a template or pattern of the piece you are trying to make.
Also,in the better safe than sorry category,when doing a install project around surrounding panels,its a good idea to apply masking tape around
the perimeter.This guards from any slips you may have from paint,adhesive etc.
Definitely. I would have used paper to form a template and then traced the shape onto the vinyl to be cut out.

As far as the wet sanding, I wouldn't advise it. If it doesn't bother you too much, why don't you make a larger pattern or vinyl and cover it up that way? Otherwise buy new lights.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 PM
realist alive

follow the steps of the DIY headlight restoration with uv sealer it uses wet sanding then a homemade sealer. i am assuming you will have to do a lot of sanding depending on how deep the scratches are but its worth a hour of work before spending money on new headlights. i had scratches o mine and this did the trick
Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 PM
end of z world

I'm finishing my 3m restoration tomorrow, ill let you kbow how it goes as far as the impregnated coating, Im gonna give diy a little research see if that uv protectant doesn't somewhat recreate it. But so far it looks good. And I have an 06. Love my lights get them. Rear too! Looks so mean. And ya ya i know the kit was $25 and my lights were worn and scratched, drivers has condensation so its my temp fix before I buy my new ones. It'll last for a bit.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM
end of z world

3m not bad have to go get the protecting solutions and probably need to do another application cuz some scratches on one are bad.. but other than it being my first time im not dissatisfied at all, they look much better just need a bit more time on them and hopefully the protectant solution works.