Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Labor of love

Old 08-02-2017, 08:05 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Going to have to give Opti-coat a try.

Or I could just take all this *****, mix it together in a garden sprayer and blast it.
opticoat is awesome... it has consistency of water, wipe it on and it flash dries.. then the higher areas you can see and just rub them down with mf cloth

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...-Coating-P554/

The following users liked this post:
carbuffguy (08-02-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

I'll need to check out this Opti-Coat stuff. But so far I've been very happy with AMMO NYC products. I primarily use Larry's interior kit stuff, works great, especially for cleaning the Zs headliner and cloth seats if you have them.

Here's some shots of my Z the day after I spent a solid 12+ hours going through the whole exterior. Steps taken...
1) Complete Wash and dry.
2) Clay bar.
3) Polish (used Griot's #2 polish with 6" foam pad on my DA)
4) Complete wipe down with Grease and Wax remover.
5) Applied AMMO NYC Reflex Foundation coat per instructions.
6) Removed Reflex per instructions.
7) Applied AMMO NYC Skin Defense per instructions
8) Removed Skin Defense per instructions.

All the wiping/drying was done with clean or new microfibers (300gsm+). My paint is not "perfect" especially on the front bumper, but the car really came out great. My iphone pictures don't do it justice.

The following users liked this post:
carbuffguy (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:46 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160
I'll need to check out this Opti-Coat stuff. But so far I've been very happy with AMMO NYC products. I primarily use Larry's interior kit stuff, works great, especially for cleaning the Zs headliner and cloth seats if you have them.

Here's some shots of my Z the day after I spent a solid 12+ hours going through the whole exterior. Steps taken...
2) Clay bar.

All the wiping/drying was done with clean or new microfibers (300gsm+). My paint is not "perfect" especially on the front bumper, but the car really came out great. My iphone pictures don't do it justice.

You know, dude, I work a couple days a week in Mountain View. Got a spare 12 hours? I'll pay premium.... $5/hour. Hahahahahaha!

Looks GREAT!!
Old 08-03-2017, 06:53 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160

2) Clay bar.

Dang nice, and got to get me some of those clears
Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 PM
icer5160

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Dang nice, and got to get me some of those clears
I had Zleds install the LED mod in the clear front reflectors. So I have them synced with my amber turn signals, then switch over to white LEDs when my headlights are on. If my headlights are on at night and I use my turn signals, the white LEDs turn off and amber comes on. Looks slick and gives my 11 year old Z a modern look.

I would have been able to complete the work much faster if I had an air compressor to speed up the drying process. I also could have applied the Skin Defense with my DA, but I decided to do it by hand with a foam pad.

Water still beeds effortlessly off the paint, been 3 months since application.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:30 PM
icer5160

Originally Posted by MicVelo
You know, dude, I work a couple days a week in Mountain View. Got a spare 12 hours? I'll pay premium.... $5/hour. Hahahahahaha!

Looks GREAT!!

I know a guy who does this for a living. He normally charges $650 for a similar job, but it doesn't include a full wash, waterless wash instead since he's mobile, which means the wheels & tires don't get touched or simply wiped down. Still high quality work, better than AJs in San Jose off Taylor street (if you know the place). But I prefer to be the one touching my Z

I've thought about doing this kind of work on the side because I have an OCD level of attention to detail and strong work ethic. But the competition in the bay area is steep for this line of work and most people would lose it or laugh their butts off if I threw out a price that would make it worth my time (equivalent or damn close to my current calculated hourly wage at my day job).

But I'm always willing to help a buddy out! A few weeks back I helped a friend with some serious paint correction after he scraped his rear fender against the stucco on the side of his apartment building! But it was a Chevy Volt, so no harm done!

Search this Thread