Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Finally hit 12's!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I trap higher on slicks vs street tires.

Jon-congrats man, great to see that finally....looking at that 60ft and 1/8 time you have much more left in it with faster shifting. Can you please post your shift points - MPH in each gear- now with the gears?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkemp1
Conditions are IMO more important. I dont think I am that good of a driver but I trapped 107 at the same track as Gooey yesterday. Just ideal conditions. By the way with that 107 trap it was a very bad 2.3 60ft
Yeah - example, my runs a few weeks ago outran Veetec (he has clutch issues, so thats why) yet my traps were lower. He had better conditions, otherwise I'd have trapped 107, all the trap shows is the power the car is making, and that you shifted relatively quickly.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:45 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Peak350
He had the same results with drag radials, just went to slicks to see if it made a difference.

With stock tires he trapped ~102, with DR's/slicks (same tire height) he trapped ~99.

His ET however was a tenth quicker, with a .25 drop in his 60'.

I don't know how to justify it, really I try but it doesn't make sense. My experience has backed it up though (faster ET's came with relatively lower traps).

I think it depends on the car and conditions, but in general a better launch nets a lower trap from everything I've seen. I'm not the only person thinking that - I've read both stated as fact, I'm saying I'm not sure, please don't state a fact you aren't sure about...
Here's my wild guess...

Sticky tires=friction. More friction=more traction, but more friction is also gonna slow you down some. Of course, at a certain point (like Bert's case), when you got so much power, you'll need all the traction you can get to keep your wheels from spinning clear through 3rd gear which will definitely increase your ET due to not losing speed due to spinning.

Also, the height of the sidewall could be affected depending on the wheel/tire combo being used.

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; 11-25-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Gooey

Originally Posted by Alberto
I trap higher on slicks vs street tires.

Jon-congrats man, great to see that finally....looking at that 60ft and 1/8 time you have much more left in it with faster shifting. Can you please post your shift points - MPH in each gear- now with the gears?
thx bert! Yea I always shift 1-2 pretty late. I shift at 7500 and end the quarter at the very top of 4th gear. Its really close to the point where Ineed to shift to 5th. every shift I shift at7500 and theres a small lag in between shifts due to my granny style shiftin
Old 11-25-2007, 06:46 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peak350
I'm saying I'm not sure, please don't state a fact you aren't sure about...

I've been drag racing for 10 years and everything I've seen with my cars and the cars of everyone I know, lower traps don't come with lower E.Ts.

For example...

My car a few weeks ago on the same day went
11.4@124.2mph with a 1.85 60' (spinning a bit)
then later went
11.2@125.5mph with a 1.68 60'

coolant temps were near identical on the two runs and so was ambient temp.

That's just one of HUNDREDS of examples that I've seen that tells me that there is no FACT in saying that lower traps come with better launches.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
jackie chan

i always trapped higher on stickies in my stangs
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by jackie chan
i always trapped higher on stickies in my stangs

Old 11-26-2007, 04:44 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Incorrect, I've ALWAYS trapped the same or even higher on sticky tires vs. street tires. I know some people believe that you trap higher with a worse 60' but that simply isn't true. Full traction is the most efficient way you can run down the 1/4 mile period.
It really depends... I've seen the timers be completely off when someone has a terrible 60ft... a guy I know with a lightly modded 94 Mustang GT went 16.2 @ 116mph on a 2.8 60ft and his car was litterally stock + exhaust, CAI and a gear (AKA SLOW...maybe 14.8 @ 95mph..maybe). Of course I've seen results like this from the local track on very rare occasion..but it has happened.

I've also noticed trap speeds dip slightly when people hook up (on DRs vs Street Tires) but it's important to note people don't launch the same and most don't have the experience launching to make a fair comparison. I would also guess that air pressure in the tires might make a big difference in the DR vs ST comparison as well. Some people get DRs near empty thinking it's going to help off the line and it hurts their trap speeds.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:45 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
there is no FACT in saying that lower traps come with better launches.
X2

NAILED IT.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Congrats!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 AM
ct350z

Great driving OP. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:43 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Here's my wild guess...

Sticky tires=friction. More friction=more traction, but more friction is also gonna slow you down some. Of course, at a certain point (like Bert's case), when you got so much power, you'll need all the traction you can get to keep your wheels from spinning clear through 3rd gear which will definitely increase your ET due to not losing speed due to spinning.

Also, the height of the sidewall could be affected depending on the wheel/tire combo being used.
+1

u can't compare an 11 sec car to ur average 13-14 sec car. a car that 11's... well see quoted post. but a 13-14 sec car, it can go either way

*gooey, still waiting on that profile shot on drag radial, if possible, thanks
*gooey, still waiting on that profile shot of the car on drag radials
some of u (bri) r are stating it like a fact that if u have stickier tires, u will trap faster, that simply not the case, see peak350's example, it can really go either way

i hate it when people are so narrow minded, they think if something happened to them, it will absolutely happen the same way for every other person on the face of the earth
Old 11-26-2007, 12:12 PM
jackie chan

Originally Posted by warmmilk
+1

u can't compare an 11 sec car to ur average 13-14 sec car. a car that 11's... well see quoted post. but a 13-14 sec car, it can go either way

some of u (bri) r are stating it like a fact that if u have stickier tires, u will trap faster, that simply not the case, see peak350's example, it can really go either way

i hate it when people are so narrow minded, they think if something happened to them, it will absolutely happen the same way for every other person on the face of the earth
with about 300 passes on two different mustangs with street tires and slicks, i always trap higher on sticky tires. both were high 12 sec cars @ 103-105 mph
Old 11-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by warmmilk
+1

I've always noticed something about cars that are in between drag cars and street cars. Most turbo guys even with slicks run faster on low boost than high boost.

That shows they can't get power to the ground - if you have an NA car that isn't traction limited (example a 350z...) you can gain a bit of time right off the bat (60') by throwing DR's/slicks on, and the .2 you drop will get pulled out of the entire 1/4 mile run, but if you bog your engine down a bit more to drop those 2 tenths, you might lose one of them in the 330, lose a bit of trap speed in the 1/8th, and thus the 1/4.

This is what was happening with my friends car. He wasn't gaining much at all in the ET even though his 60' dropped a fair bit because the car bogged more through the 330/660 marks and so he saw a lower MPH in the ET.

I doubt I'd see much gain from DR's because I can launch through the 60' quicker, and I get some bog in the 330' and my overall time is slower. I doubt having an extra 500 RPM or so from having more grip would make THAT significant a difference to bring my trap back up the 2-3 mph I lose from bogging through the 330' mark.

I know all cars react differently, and I am only familiar with the changes in my friends Mustang because I could see before and after and what specific changes on the car did to his times. This is however, why I asked if gooey expected a lower trap, and mentioned not to state as a fact that traps would increase with stickier tires.

Regardless - good times, I'd like to see what you could get with a faster shift (maybe even borderline powershift).
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats man! more to come next year I hope.

keep the car safe over the winter.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Gooey

Ill try to take pics of the profile for you but I dont have any at the moment. My camera is weaksauce and that photo was taken by davidv. I can take a shot of the rim and tire alone if you like. Dont think theyll go on the car at all this year unless the weather this weekend is great for another track day.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 PM
coachk
Banned

A higher trap than what you may usually trap has to do with some tire spin...
Bri is correct in saying lower traps do not come with lower ets. I have had many races where I had better ets but the other guy mile per houred me by quite a bit.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM
one350zfan

Man, busting into the 12's with a few bolt-ons is pretty neat!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
boostintt

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice 60' .. thats the same i did with slicks.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 PM
warmmilk

sorry about the weird post structure on my last post, my comp at work was acting weird, saw just now how it looked, but u guys get the basic idea of what i was saying

Quick Reply: Finally hit 12's!!