Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

can a stock z be faster than a stock z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
OPTIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You two should go to an HPDE and see how has better driving skill. All the drag proves is who is a better shifter. I almost think I can train a monkey to hold the wheel straight and shift. Maybe not though.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTIMO
You two should go to an HPDE and see how has better driving skill. All the drag proves is who is a better shifter. I almost think I can train a monkey to hold the wheel straight and shift. Maybe not though.
With that being said what do you run? If your so good at twisties drag racing should come easy. I'd like to see a time in the top 5 of your category.

Oh wait, what you just said is a common misconception. Shifting is important, but races are won and lost the first 60ft, I guess a monkey could launch too?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Hoooper

people that hate on drag racing are usually terrible drivers in general and think a parking lot is a great place. most of the people i know that drag race also enjoy all other forms of racing too, and are probably better at it other racing than most of the people that hate on drag racing

A wise man was once asked about autocross, he replied:
"why would i want to watch a bunch of idiots in helmets driving around cones in a parking lot?"

PS: it does take skill, last time i was there there was a guy with a z that had never broken 14.6. must be a slow track right? except another guy i was with had consistently ran 13.9 in his stock z at the same track so...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:12 AM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by Alberto
With that being said what do you run? If your so good at twisties drag racing should come easy. I'd like to see a time in the top 5 of your category.

Oh wait, what you just said is a common misconception. Shifting is important, but races are won and lost the first 60ft, I guess a monkey could launch too?
Drag racing doesn't appeal to me. I understand it appeals to some, just like Nascar, but I prefer more involving forms of motorsport that require a larger skill set. Not knocking drag strip too much, but what does it really prove? Quick reflexes? The ability to beat the hell out of a clutch? I personally don't understand the appeal.

Who measures a supercar (or any car really) based on quarter mile times? Did Nissan start whoring out quarter mile times for the GTR? No. They posted Nurburgring lap times.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 AM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by Hoooper
people that hate on drag racing are usually terrible drivers in general and think a parking lot is a great place. most of the people i know that drag race also enjoy all other forms of racing too, and are probably better at it other racing than most of the people that hate on drag racing

A wise man was once asked about autocross, he replied:
"why would i want to watch a bunch of idiots in helmets driving around cones in a parking lot?"

PS: it does take skill, last time i was there there was a guy with a z that had never broken 14.6. must be a slow track right? except another guy i was with had consistently ran 13.9 in his stock z at the same track so...
See my sig for my thoughts on parking lot racing.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
OPTIMO

Maybe.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

LOL @ auto-x guys ^^

whatever floats your boat, but dont knock it until you try it

you likely couldnt even hit 13's in your car...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Hoooper

I prefer more involving forms of motorsport that require a larger skill set. Not knocking drag strip too much, but what does it really prove? Quick reflexes? The ability to beat the hell out of a clutch? I personally don't understand the appeal.
youve obviously never really spent time at the strip. a real enthusiast enjoys all the kinds of racing, not just one specific type. if you actually are a racing enthusiast and went to the strip, you would enjoy it. you would also begin to appreciate it since i can guarantee that you will NOT do very well the first few times out. it takes a lot of skill to make a good pass.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Whats worse, me beating an avg drag racer by .5 seconds in 1320 feet or some road race guy beating me by 2 seconds around a couple mile track? In most cases I feel like the drag racing difference because of the short time is more impressive.

Also-auto-X is damn impressive when you finally go do it, a friend of mine (Kirkster) is hardcore into t, and I didn tthink you could impress me going around cones.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats worse, me beating an avg drag racer by .5 seconds in 1320 feet or some road race guy beating me by 2 seconds around a couple mile track? In most cases I feel like the drag racing difference because of the short time is more impressive.

Also-auto-X is damn impressive when you finally go do it, a friend of mine (Kirkster) is hardcore into t, and I didn tthink you could impress me going around cones.
Yeah I thought nothing of autox until I tried it. I went from mostly drag racing to autox'ing and I agree with berto. Both of them take skill and honestly... I've found it harder to stay consistent drag racing than the autox. That could be my old crap clutch but who knows since I haven't gone back yet.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
OPTIMO

I'm not sure why I've given the impression I am an auto-x fan (I thought my sig was pretty clear on that). Not knocking auto-x either, I've done it a bit and it's safe fun when you're first starting out. I've been to the "strip" and I'll be honest, it was an interesting atmosphere, a lot of buzz and a TON of kids. Maybe it was the wrong strip, but the crowd wasn't for me. Some cool cars though and it was mildly entertaining to watch.

Using the same logic, you could send me to a Nascar race and because I'm an autosport enthusiast I'd have a grand ole' time. I'd rather mow my lawn in the rain than go to a Nascar race. I've been to a few oval track events with friends and other than the beer drinking, it was boring.

Now, ALMS, Formula BMW, Formula 1, anything that involves a circuit and racecars, I find very exciting. I also enjoy varying levels of rallying.

I love these discussions - people get so riled up about drag racing. I don't see the appeal or how it's nearly as much skill as piloting a car around a course - there are just fewer dynamics involved. I'm still a hack on a circuit by all means, but it's damn enjoyable.

It's quite possible that I've been turned off from the strip by the crowds that attended the few times I went. It wasn't a friendly atmosphere. I equate it to being an adult and going to a club that 20-22 year olds go to. Cheap drinks, high chance of violence and a bunch of wannna-be thugs trying to be tough. Sprinkle in a few legit clubgoers. The opposite is going to an upscale speakeasy/winebar/whatever where the atmosphere is jovial, friendly and intellectual. I could just be very skewed, but I've got no desire to go back or participate.

British GP this weekend!

Last edited by OPTIMO; 07-02-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

So what did you run?

edit-also wanted to add I dont like the atmosphere at most tracks with these young kids who are idiots around in slow cars. Thats why I drag race maybe 1x per year and only at private events.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what did you run?

edit-also wanted to add I dont like the atmosphere at most tracks with these young kids who are idiots around in slow cars. Thats why I drag race maybe 1x per year and only at private events.
I actually find it more fun to watch them
Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM
costilla

Wow!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by costilla
Wow!!!
What a feeling!!!

Tony (what's so 'wow'?)
Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by blasian
I actually find it more fun to watch them
yeah. its better if you know people that are cool there, then you can enjoy just how bad (and ridiculous) some of the people are at racing. makes it much more fun. if everyone there was serious it would be no fun
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally don't understand the appeal.
And I cannot comprehend the appeal of drifting so I stay out of that forum.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see the appeal or how it's nearly as much skill as piloting a car around a course - there are just fewer dynamics involved.
I figured the same thing when I began competing: put 13.70 seconds on the windshield, and run 13.70 seconds. What's the big deal? Try it and and show us how easy it is.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
haeshik

Originally Posted by L. Baggins
And if you're really curious go again, this time let him drive your car and you drive his, see the results.
best answer yet
Old 07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Specv_USMC

i had more than 240miles, but i def am a believer of hard breakins. Im not going to explain the stories, but bottom line, with all my cars ive seen better mpg and performance from hard breakins...

Mike

Quick Reply: can a stock z be faster than a stock z?