Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

just tried my 1st "clutch kick!" WooHoo!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default just tried my 1st "clutch kick!" WooHoo!!!!

I had been messing around with drifting a bit when I found the reight situation. well, Jeremy @ Performance Factory was telling to try "kicking the clutch" as I start the turn to initiate the drift.

previously, I was just yanking the wheel while coming into boost to get the car sideways.......

let me tell you, kicking the clutch will get you sideways in a big way!!!! I was shocked at my drift angle. I'm sure it felt like a bigger angle than it actually was, but I drove away with a flush feeling in my cheeks and my adrenalin pumping. I tired to hold the drift as long as I could, but I ended up finishing in a little fish tail.

I need some more practice, but it is hard finding a safe place to practice.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:00 PM
k3silk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thtas what I do On my zx10 but instead I end up on one wheel. if ya know what I mean.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by k3silk
Thtas what I do On my zx10 but instead I end up on one wheel. if ya know what I mean.

zx10 FTW!!! I miss mine....careful with the clutch popping tho...can get you in trouble in a hurry!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 PM
kostat26

zx10 shouldnt need clutch popping a wheelie.. and a boosted z shouldnt need to clutch kick to initiate a drift...
Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by QuadCam

Yup that's the hard part. I've been looking for somewhre to go in the riverview area. There's nothing out here really..
Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Billhyco

i'm not boosted and i don't need a a clutch kick to kick the *** out and get a good look at my tail lights. If I romp on it in a turn, even in second at a faster speed, look out, here comes my ***!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by kostat26
zx10 shouldnt need clutch popping a wheelie.. and a boosted z shouldnt need to clutch kick to initiate a drift...

clutch popping isn't necessary...but watch any 'stunter' worth his while at riding wheelies...and I bet you see lots of clutch popping...
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 PM
kostat26

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
clutch popping isn't necessary...but watch any 'stunter' worth his while at riding wheelies...and I bet you see lots of clutch popping...
cause stunters do wheelies and their stunts at 5 mph. regulatr guy popping a wheelie doesnt need to use the clutch
Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by kostat26
Right. You don't NEED a clutch kick to initiate a drift, but you're going to get a wider angle by doing it on top of powering into it. I know you'll argue this point, but it's true.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Three5oZee

It is true.. its how you get the wider angle + the drift speed around the faster drift curbs.

Quadcam...welcome to the world of Z-Drifting
Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Z33_SPL

Whoever says you shouldn't clutchkick, boosted or not, doesn't know what they're talking about. If you want that gangster line and early *** entry, you want to clutch kick and/or ebrake into the turn. Drift the whole turn and initiate as early as possible. Coasting and/or braking around the first part and powering over past the apex is lame. Perfect example right here.

http://bai-westco.com/htm/team_westc...p/200703_1.MPG

Last edited by Z33_SPL; 06-21-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
kostat26

Originally Posted by Z33_SPL
Whoever says you shouldn't clutchkick, boosted or not, doesn't know what they're talking about. If you want that gangster line and early *** entry, you want to clutch kick and/or ebrake into the turn. Drift the whole turn and initiate as early as possible. Coasting and/or braking around the first part and powering over past the apex is lame. Perfect example right here.

http://bai-westco.com/htm/team_westc...p/200703_1.MPG
yeah especially for some1 that is drifting on public roads, and is jsut starting to learn too?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Miraclekidjr
Banned

I find it funny that you boosted your car before gettin nasty with it. Watch out, you'll get the itch and start gettin sideways everywhere. I kick as well, its the easiest way.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:46 AM
jdm21bmx

I usually give it a nice little kick..It is addicting.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I had been messing around with drifting a bit when I found the reight situation. well, Jeremy @ Performance Factory was telling to try "kicking the clutch" as I start the turn to initiate the drift.

previously, I was just yanking the wheel while coming into boost to get the car sideways.......

let me tell you, kicking the clutch will get you sideways in a big way!!!! I was shocked at my drift angle. I'm sure it felt like a bigger angle than it actually was, but I drove away with a flush feeling in my cheeks and my adrenalin pumping. I tired to hold the drift as long as I could, but I ended up finishing in a little fish tail.

besides powerovering, the clutch kick is the most basic way to initiate the drift. You should have tried this from the beginning. Watch some of the option and BMI videos for further info. There's a difference between a drift and a power slide. It somes like you were only doing the latter.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:06 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
besides powerovering, the clutch kick is the most basic way to initiate the drift. You should have tried this from the beginning. Watch some of the option and BMI videos for further info. There's a difference between a drift and a power slide. It somes like you were only doing the latter.

I have always thought of a Powerslide as more of slide initiated from coming in too hot to a turn and end up sliding the turn........

this was a purposeful tail-out exhibition!! I don't know what to call it...other than alot of fun!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by Billhyco
i'm not boosted and i don't need a a clutch kick to kick the *** out and get a good look at my tail lights. If I romp on it in a turn, even in second at a faster speed, look out, here comes my ***!!

remember I am in a G Sedan......I have about 300 more pounds to move and a 6 inch longer wheelbase all of which add up to a car that is not as easy to get sideways in.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
willyd6869

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congradulations!!!...I dont see too many Z/G drifters, Its nice to see posts like this aha
Old 06-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Three5oZee

Thumbs up

Now, we just have to get you out there on the track with us and put it all together.. the next step is holding it sideways.. knowing where the apex of the turn is so that you can turn before it, and learning the transition from one side to the other without spinning out...
Old 06-30-2007, 01:48 PM
DustinZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice video. I love driving on the track. I too am just getting into drifting myself.

Quick Reply: just tried my 1st "clutch kick!" WooHoo!!!!