Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?

Old 01-09-2005, 06:56 PM
uro279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z33
It's worth pointing out that fitting a non-OEM shift **** can alter the behaviour of any shifter. My Rogue shifts shorter than 20% simply because the **** sits more than an inch lower than OEM.

I also have no vibration issues at any RPM, probably because the **** is heavier than OEM. I'm fitting a Stillen engine damper this week; it'll be interesting to see whether there are any problems with vibration afterwards.

Effort is up, but the additional mass of the **** helps there as well. Interestingly enough, the 1-2 and 2-3 balkiness at higher RPMs that my '03 has shown since day 1 is completely gone.

I don't need adjustability, since I'm the only one driving my Z, and I suspect the B&M would be _too_ short with my lower ****. Getting the Rogue shipped for $192 in a GB made it the best choice for my Z, bar none.
Which shift **** did you get?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Z33

Originally posted by uro279
Which shift **** did you get?
TeamVoodoo Magnum Sphere, in Pearl.
See: http://www.teamvoodoo.com/Voodoo/*****.html

I got their pistol grip, just to try, but the sphere is just about perfect, IMHO. Since the sphere feels the same from just about any grab angle, you don't even think about it. I've thought about having one done in titanium, with engraving, but the pearl finish is gorgeous.

Bare metal gives a nice sense of immediacy, especially with a short shifter, but it's more thermally immediate as well. I figure I can make a sock from the same shiny mylar stuff I cover my telescope with, to keep me safe in the summer. Since I always wear driving gloves of some sort, it probably doesn't matter, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:34 AM
002-M-P

You say you like the sphere better than the pistol grip, but do they sit at the same height? I think i am a little partial to the pistol style.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Z33

Originally posted by 002-M-P
You say you like the sphere better than the pistol grip, but do they sit at the same height? I think i am a little partial to the pistol style.
I think the pistol may be a little taller overall (didn't measure), but it's also thinner and lighter. Don't get me wrong, the Voodoo pistol grip is _real_ nice, and I've always liked that style myself, but after using the Magnum Sphere, everything else is just a ****.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?-voodoo.jpg  
Old 01-13-2005, 06:08 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got my 350evo shifter installed today.

I installed this one myself in about an hour. I did it from above and its kind of a pain, but it can be done!!

I'm not sure what I can say about it that won't be a shifter description cliche. Silky, no audible vibration, short, suprisingly easy to shift considering a 30% percent throw reduction. For the money, this has to be the best shifter around. The car could have come from the factory with this shifter and no one would have noticed anything. I think its due to the bearings in the shifter. Makes it smooth. I'm thinking about adding a shorter shift **** to reduce the throw even more. 10 out of 10 stars for the EVO shifter.

Another fine 350EVO product BJ!! Thanks. You guys got anything else coming out soon?? ;-)

Last edited by zillinois; 01-13-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:28 PM
LOU

Finally an answer to my original question. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Poizon

Glad the shifter turned out to be great ! Anyone with B&M and Evo compairison. Like I said before I will switch to the Evo if it turns out to be better than the B&M.

I am very happy with the B&M but there are no bearings. If the Evo shifts even smoother because of the bearings it could be a smoother shifter.

Seriously I am glad the shifter turned out to be super. Hope it wins the B&M - Evo compairison test. Always willing to switch to something better; even if Im happy with what Ive got.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:56 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

zillinois ... Thanks. Finally a good review.

Questions:
1/ Did you have a chance to try the Rogue or the B&M before the EVO ? If so .. give us a read.

2/ What was your experience up-down shifting under high RPMs with the EVO ? Give any comparisons to stock and other ... thanks

I have the Rogue and like it, but I am always looking for something better -- and I may very well try the EVO... it sounds great.

------------------------------------------------

Poizon .. I know you like the B&M. The B&M in my Z was a POS. Shifters are car specific, IMO. Shifted great below 3300 RPM and was like glue-to-super glue at anything higher. However, I am open to anything -- like you are now !!

Any other EVO reviews from anybody ?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:02 AM
zillinois

I don't have any experience with any of those other shifters.

As for comparison up/down shifting, the shifter does not stick in any way doing high rpm shifts. It actually feels like it springs into gear. Does that make any sense? I'm taking my car over to the body shop today to have an aftermarket bumper fitted so, I will try to post a video of the shifter in action.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:42 PM
uro279

Originally posted by zillinois
I don't have any experience with any of those other shifters.

As for comparison up/down shifting, the shifter does not stick in any way doing high rpm shifts. It actually feels like it springs into gear. Does that make any sense? I'm taking my car over to the body shop today to have an aftermarket bumper fitted so, I will try to post a video of the shifter in action.
Great! Looking forward to your video.

Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2005, 02:55 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

zillinois...

1/ if you can post a video ... GREAT !!

2/ you describe the shifts as "silky... suprisingly easy to shift" ...

questions ...

a/ under high RPM upshifts and reasonable RPM downshifts ... how does it compare to stock in the amount of exertion needed to engage ? Same ? A little ? Slightly more than stock ? A moderate amount over stock ?

b/ the good thing you mentioned above was .. "feels like it springs into gear" ... is this true for all gears in upshifts and downshifts under regular and high RPMS ?

Your feedback would be helpful to us all ... and just goes to show how hard language is to describe the actual feeling.

THANKS !! from all of us....... for providing the exprerience.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:08 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

zillinois ... sorry to bother you -- one more question ...

Regarding the bolt that goes through the bottom of the shifter...

Are there any torque specs ?

Apparently, some bolts are tightened too much .. and that really affects shifting movement.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:13 AM
zillinois

torque specs;

No torque specs came with the shifter. I just experimented by tightening until the shifter shifted how I wanted. Bolt tightness makes a big difference in how the shifter shifts.

Exertion;

It does require more effort to shift. How much? Very subjective. Since the throw is shorter, you have to expend less engergy on the stroke, but more on the inital movement of the shift ****.

Just cruising around I really don't notice much difference in the shifter at all from stock. It does not "spring" into gear. But when I get on it, its much faster. While driving briskly recently, I thought I was going to grind 2nd based on my usual shifting. However, the car was already in the next gear. Its suprisingly fast. As I'm sure all short shifters are.

I don't know if a video will help describe it at all, but I will try to post one later. I have to clear some old stuff out my webspace.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:20 PM
zillinois

Please save and download.

Shifting video 1

Shifting video 2

Shifting video 3

Last edited by zillinois; 02-02-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:31 PM
uro279

Please save and download.

Shifting video 1

Shifting video 2

Shifting video 3
thanks. Looks good!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:23 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

zillinois ... Absolutely great !! Excellent video work -- and thanks so much for taking the time and effort to give us all a firsthand audio and visual "feel" of the shifter.

Some questions ...

1/ In video 1 ... do you remember approximately at what RPM you shifted ? At anytime in videos 1, 2, or 3 were your RPMs at or above 5,000 ?

2/ In video 1, the shifter seemed to shake when engaged in 2nd. However, it was not evident in videos 2 and 3. Any comment ?

3/ In video 1, is that metallic sound from shifting ? Might be the bearings ?

4/ In video 2, seemed to be some clunking about halfway through the video .. ? Not sure what that was.

Overall .. the shifter looks really smooth ...
Old 02-03-2005, 01:25 AM
zillinois

1. about 5500 rpms

2. I started to spin. Its cold here and I have the 3.9, tilton and test pipes and the car breaks loose in first and second upon modestly hard acceleration from anything below 40mph in this weather. I don't drive the car in winter. I just went to get my new bumper test fitted. The shifter was not shaking or vibrating by the way, the whole transmission was. In the other runs, I was starting from a higher speed or didn't press the throttle all the way.

3. The cha-chunk sound is the shifter hitting the end of the throw hard "Cha" and the "Chunk" sound is rear end engaging hard.

4. My suspension. I've got Tein coilovers and they make noise going over bumps. Are roads are torn up from winter.

I drove it almost 40 miles today through various conditions and it made an audible noise only once and it was totaly in my control whether it happened. I shifted hard and left some pressure on the shifter for an extra second or two and it rattled. As soon as I released the shifter from the extra pressure it stopped. I never shifted like that again and it never happened again. I really am enjoying the shifter now that I've spent a little more time with it. It sounds like the shifter from one of the cars from Grand Tourismo. That cha-chunk sound is like heaven. Not having and audible rattle is one of the most important aspects to me. I think that mostly has to do with installation. But its not cool to have to explain your shifter to someone. Of course, explaining your flywheel noise is a whole other matter.

Last edited by zillinois; 02-03-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:59 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

zillinois ... Absolutely excellent review -- and your responses are so fast and accurate. Thank you, sir, from all of us. I am sure that BJ at 350EVO would love to have your videos and writeup.

Also, I now know where the "chatter" is coming from ... the Tilton flywheel -- a little like my NISMO flywheel.

OK .. I am in ! I am going to order this shifter .. now one my 4th go - OEM, B&M, Rogue, and now THE 350EVO.

In search of the perfect shiftiing experience ....

love it ...
Old 02-03-2005, 04:11 AM
zillinois

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
zillinois ... Absolutely excellent review -- and your responses are so fast and accurate. Thank you, sir, from all of us. I am sure that BJ at 350EVO would love to have your videos and writeup.

Also, I now know where the "chatter" is coming from ... the Tilton flywheel -- a little like my NISMO flywheel.

OK .. I am in ! I am going to order this shifter .. now one my 4th go - OEM, B&M, Rogue, and now THE 350EVO.

In search of the perfect shiftiing experience ....

love it ...
You're welcome. Good luck, I hope the EVO shifter what you've been looking for. I think all shifting questions should be directed to you in the future!!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:43 PM
zzz350

Where do I order a B&M shifter? How much do they cost? You guys have convinced me, I got to have it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?