Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 05:57 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't use a torque wrench so I'm not sure of the lbs. But I started loose and drove it, if it rattled, I tightened it up. If it got too tight and didn't shift well, I loosened it.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:46 AM
uro279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z BOY
Observations during a drive tonite: the noise is a high frequency rattle that begins at around 4k rpm and becomes louder with increasing rpms. The sound actually becomes even louder when i let my foot off the gas. The noise cannot be stopped by manipulating the ****/shifter; it can be changed somewhat, but not stopped. No visual increase in **** shaking noted with this shifter. The sound seems to be coming from the bottom of the shifter. I'll get it checked out further on Monday.
Do you have the stock ****? If so, I've heard that this can be the culprit as it requires a tapered 'washer' that may rattle inside.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Z BOY

Originally posted by uro279
Do you have the stock ****? If so, I've heard that this can be the culprit as it requires a tapered 'washer' that may rattle inside.
no, voodoo magnum ****.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:59 PM
uro279

no, voodoo magnum ****.
That's right, I remember now. My mistake.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Poizon

Hey guys I have the shifter but havent installed it yet. I will have it in by next Monday at the latest. The B&M works great. But it would be better with ball bearings.

I dont think the evo shifter rattle will bother me as long as it shifts smooth and clean. Thats the only thing the B&M is missing; the shifting is not smooth and precise its just precise.

I will report on how many lbs of torque the drive line shop uses for the perfect shift. But it might different from z to z. We shall see.

Anything is better than stock. Im looking for stock action with a shorter throw; as Im sure everyone else is. Im sure the noise just goes with the territory. Shorter throw- metal to metal- no need to do the math.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 PM
uro279

Great! Keep us posted.

Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Z BOY

Originally posted by Poizon
Hey guys I have the shifter but havent installed it yet. I will have it in by next Monday at the latest. The B&M works great. But it would be better with ball bearings.

I dont think the evo shifter rattle will bother me as long as it shifts smooth and clean. Thats the only thing the B&M is missing; the shifting is not smooth and precise its just precise.

I will report on how many lbs of torque the drive line shop uses for the perfect shift. But it might different from z to z. We shall see.

Anything is better than stock. Im looking for stock action with a shorter throw; as Im sure everyone else is. Im sure the noise just goes with the territory. Shorter throw- metal to metal- no need to do the math.
Bad news. Had my mechanic address the rattle today, and now its much harder to shift, and the rattle has only lessened. It feels like cold-weather stiffness with shifts even when the car is well warmed. I, too, was looking for stock smoothness with a shorter throw, but on my car at least, its not gonna happen. I'm going back to stock tomorrow. What's 350evo's return policy?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:49 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Bad news. Had my mechanic address the rattle today, and now its much harder to shift, and the rattle has only lessened. It feels like cold-weather stiffness with shifts even when the car is well warmed. I, too, was looking for stock smoothness with a shorter throw, but on my car at least, its not gonna happen. I'm going back to stock tomorrow. What's 350evo's return policy?
Z BOY ... Can you explain how loud the noise was? Any other feedback from your mechanic ? As we all know, the tighter the bolt goes, so does the shifting. A little disappointing as I was hoping to hear rave reviews from you.

Not sure what you can expect from 350EVO .. since there is the following warning:

--- "It is a huge improvement over non ball bearing designs. Try it, you'll love the feel of this new shifter. ***This is a solid RACE shifter which will transmit any transmission noise straight into the cockpit. If you want a shifter that is noise free, the Rogue shifter is the way to go***" -------

Poizon ... Would appreciate if you can let me know ASAP what your experts say on torque specs. Thanks in advance !

Well .. I am both feet in -- I received the shifter on Monday ... and will have it installed next week. Hope Poizon's and my install goes well.

Last edited by fairladyZ in Japan; 02-22-2005 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:01 AM
zillinois

Sorry to hear it ZBoy. It really seems to be car dependent on the rattle issue. I would yank mine out as well if it made noise. I'm not sure what EVO's return policy is but maybe they would trade for the quieter one.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:38 AM
G-Spot Racing

Have been looking into the short shifter also. Does it matter which year Z you have, in relation to the rattle? Is one year more prone to it over another? I know Nissan has designed the tranny. Just a thought I had as I have been reading this topic.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:14 AM
dwnshift

FYI...This is taken straight from our web site. ....
***This is a solid RACE shifter which will transmit any transmission noise straight into the cockpit. If you want a shifter that is noise free, the Rogue shifter is the way to go***

I have spoken with many peoeple on the phone regarding this shifter and have told everyone of them that there is noise and vibration with it. After all its a solid design and inteneed for racing applications. I have steered many customers away from the 350EVO solid race shifter in favor of the Rogue because of the noise that I know will drive street car guys nuts.

BJ@350EVO.com
Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 AM
ezee

If I installed this shifter I'd probably install an engine dampener too, sounds like it may solve the shifter rattle.

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...ghlight=damper
Old 02-22-2005, 07:57 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the engine dampener might have helped reduce the vibrating noise i had on my rogue shifter - which only made noise at like 4-5k rpms
Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Z BOY

Anyone wanna buy my evo shifter for 30% off? Its brand new. I just don't like the stiffer feel.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:51 PM
zillinois

Originally posted by ezee
If I installed this shifter I'd probably install an engine dampener too, sounds like it may solve the shifter rattle.

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...ghlight=damper
Good point. I have no noise with my EVO shifter and I have an engine damper as well.

Last edited by zillinois; 02-22-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:08 PM
ezee

zillinois, which damper did you install? Does the shifter rattle (move) at high rpms? Can you give a brief review of the damper? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:46 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by zillinois
Good point. I have no noise with my EVO shifter and I have an engine damper as well.
What is an "Engine Damper"?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Z BOY

Originally posted by ssk0771
What is an "Engine Damper"?
Its a device that goes on your engine to minimize engine movement, right guys?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:53 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Z Boy .. Just how loud was the 350EVO shifter ?

Then you had the bolt tightened by your mechanic resulting in less noise but tighter shifting. Interested to hear your impressions before tightening.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:05 AM
Z BOY

well, let me qualify by saying i have never used a short-shifter before the evo, and i don't have the damper. that said, before the tightening, it was a constant, loud rattle>4k rpm which became even louder when i lifted my foot from the gas. between the rattle when loose and the hard shifts when tightened, i decided it wasn't for me and switched back to stock. can't someone produce a short shifter that's as quiet as stock but with a shorter throw, please?
btw, my evo ss has been sold.

Quick Reply: Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?