MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/108481-less-weight-more-power-have-you-lightened-your-z.html)

808_FairladyZ 03-30-2004 01:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UsafaRice
Stock hood weighs about 24 pounds. Lightest CF I've ever seen is 15. You could lose half of that again by cutting out supports and braces, but then your hood would flap in the wind.

Gas weighs 6.5 lb/gal, so we can carry 130 lbs of fuel on a full tank. That's something else to consider.
[/QUOT

Hell yeah a full tank of gas makes a hugh difference in my car. I never fill my gas tank more than half way and even a half tank makes a diffferent. As for me, i'm a 236 pound male who just put about 60 lbs of sounds into my car so if i can lose about 41 lbs , i'll be able to off set most of the additional weight that i put into the car. Oh yah, minus the spare and the jacks and i will be able to off set the full 60 lbs and then some...lol! Every little bit counts right?

808_FairladyZ 03-30-2004 01:23 AM

Originally posted by UsafaRice
Stock hood weighs about 24 pounds. Lightest CF I've ever seen is 15. You could lose half of that again by cutting out supports and braces, but then your hood would flap in the wind.

Gas weighs 6.5 lb/gal, so we can carry 130 lbs of fuel on a full tank. That's something else to consider.

Hell yeah a full tank of gas makes a big difference in my car but how about this for an idea? I'm personally a 236 lbs male who just put about 60 lbs of sounds into my car so my car is a wee bit heavier than it should be. What if i go and lose about 41 lbs. That would pretty much off set the weight of my sounds right. Oh yah, i also tossed my spare and tools so actully, i would be off setting the entire weight of my sounds and then some. That means that i'm actully saving a little bit of weight? Does that count as wieght reduction...? hehehe!

Mr B 03-30-2004 02:05 AM

Originally posted by UsafaRice

I weighed my stock hood at 24lbs and my CF hood is 14lbs. Neener neener neener. ;) j/p.

TopicsII car is basically going to the extreme. Gut everything you don't need (carpet, sound deadening, sound system, air conditioning, and VQ motor ;)) and put a lighter engine in. His car makes around 370whp and weighs in around 2670lbs, give or take. Hopefully Chris can come in this thread and give some insight on this subject.
Btw, it might actually weigh less now with the diff, wing, and windsheild mod, huh Chris? JUST KIDDING MAN! See ya in two weeks!

PoWeRtRiP 03-30-2004 05:16 AM

i took out all the stuff i my trunk mat tools spare etc. the panel under the hatch that covers the wiper motor. less than a quarter tank of gas. and have lighter components in my exhaust. no cats and injen exhaust. saves ~150 lbs off the car (gas is heav)

shimz350z 03-30-2004 05:26 AM

isn't there some sort of limit?...i mean there must be some point where it doesn't matter how much weight is taking away from the stock car to produce speed?...just curious...a bad example is when you run for a mile in your long sleeve tshirt are no tshirt at all?<----probably run the same time. Obviously if he wore a leather jacket it may slow the runner down...but my point is there must be a median

referring to stock chassis?-am i making any sense here:icon4: :icon4: :icon4:

PoWeRtRiP 03-30-2004 05:51 AM

yes and no. every little bit counts but what matters most is where the weight is taken from. if you have traction probs then stripping weight from the rear is bad. if you want better braking then rotating mass and front weight can be reduced. but yes it does fall into diminishing returns. as a 2500 lb stock z will probably not save .9 off the et due to new problems that result from decreased weight but it should easily shave .5.

NismoKid 03-30-2004 06:02 AM

What's the weight difference between the Base model and Touring? I have a Base and weigh about 150lbs and would like to know how much lighter I'd be compared to a Touring with a 200lb person.

EDIT: Touring is 59lbs more. So a guy 50lbs heavier than I will be 109 all together. For some reason, the manual trans in the Touring weighs 8 lbs less, but weighs 13 lbs more on the Enthusiast, hmm...

PoWeRtRiP 03-30-2004 06:09 AM

Originally posted by NismoKid
What's the weight difference between the Base model and Touring? I have a Base and weigh about 150lbs and would like to know how much lighter I'd be compared to a Touring with a 200lb person.

EDIT: Touring is 59lbs more. So a guy 50lbs heavier than I will be 109 all together. For some reason, the manual trans in the Touring weighs 8 lbs less, but weighs 13 lbs more on the Enthusiast, hmm...

i think its funny that the track weighs most with the forged rims! with your base i would definitely recommend adding a lsd which would add about 25 lbs to your weight though.

rodH 03-30-2004 08:50 AM

there is a thread on an M3 forum on a step by step to lose about 300 pounds in that car or so. Some of it is extreme, some isn't.

I do happen to notice a difference when my gas is low (the rear ends breaks lose very easily too). I have added a sub and an amp and better speakers to my car, but I took out ALL the stereo junk which was pretty light wt, except the stock head unit was waaaaay heavier than my alpine. I can remove my sub, it is on rails similar to a car seat and slides right out when I want to save wt or need more room. I also saved wt with test pipes, will be gettting the nismo exhaust and UR pulley. My wheels and tires are 9 pounds lighter than stock total, but I bet than is negated by the wt being further out to the parameter.

for guys that take out the spare tire and tools, what do you do, bring a can of that tire patch stuff with you just in case???

phatshiet 03-30-2004 11:38 AM

Originally posted by S12 driver
Didn't someone swapped a SR20DET in their Z, and it weighs only 2700lbs? If you're serious about weight reduction, that may be a good choice.

http://www.sromagazine.com/events/al...3/IMG_0278.jpg

Can anyone shed anymore info on this swap? It seems like a nice alternative to the vq35 in terms of rebuild and parts availability.

Drag Limited 03-31-2004 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Lateapex
IMO, swapping-out the VQ35 for a 4-banger qualifies for the ridiculous-idea-of-the-week award. (Although, it's better than a small-block-swap, which some neandertal will no doubt attempt one day.)
I wouldent be so sure of that, they put a toyo 4 banger in a supra in Top Speed's car if I remember correctly and it was faster and less powerful than the I6 2jz thats cause its lighter and lower center of gravity helped it acheive a higher top speed than the extra power of the heavier and less centerd I6 could achieve.

Lateapex 03-31-2004 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Drag Limited
I wouldent be so sure of that, they put a toyo 4 banger in a supra in Top Speed's car if I remember correctly and it was faster and less powerful than the I6 2jz thats cause its lighter and lower center of gravity helped it acheive a higher top speed than the extra power of the heavier and less centerd I6 could achieve.
Oh, I'm not saying a person can't engineer a car that is ultimately faster w/such a swap -- I just consider it nothing more than a technical exercise, and a deliberate defacement of beauty. It violates Lateapex Axiom #1: always opt for more, smaller cylinders.

Mr B 03-31-2004 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Lateapex
IMO, swapping-out the VQ35 for a 4-banger qualifies for the ridiculous-idea-of-the-week award. (Although, it's better than a small-block-swap, which some neandertal will no doubt attempt one day.)
Drag Limited is right. Even in the JGTC, Supra's were running the 3S-GTE cuz it was a lighter engine than the 2JZ-GTE and you can still make lots of power from them. So unless you're just drag racing, I would be amused to see how you fair against TopicsII on a road course. :)

NOZ4U 03-31-2004 11:00 AM

Originally posted by DruDragzOn
I took out my spare tire and that heavy mat at the back. That's the only weight reduction I've done.

I was under the assumption that the spare tire added weight in the rear for traction and weight distribution. When the engineers design cars, don't they consider the weight of everything....even passengers, spare tire, jack, and gas for optimal performance? Kinda like how plane manufacturers have to consider the weight of wiring and screws for safety. I understand the ideology of reducing weight but when is it doing more harm than good. If I spend $5000 to get lightweight wheels and tires to save 40lbs, wouldn't that $5000 go a lot farther in adding FI to add 100hp so that 40 addtional pounds don't mean a thing ? Will removing the spare put less weight in the rear creating less force on the rear tires thus create less traction? With the removal of the spare, will the weight distribution change thus changing the center of gravity? This is the only reason why I haven't removed my spare yet.

GY-Z 03-31-2004 11:15 AM

Originally posted by NOZ4U
I If I spend $5000 to get lightweight wheels and tires to save 40lbs, wouldn't that $5000 go a lot farther in adding FI to add 100hp so that 40 addtional pounds don't mean a thing ?
u have to also keep in mind that straight acceleration isn't every thing.
when a car is lighter, the braking and cornering will also improve while ur accelration improves!:)

NOZ4U 03-31-2004 11:25 AM

Originally posted by GY-Z
u have to also keep in mind that straight acceleration isn't every thing.
when a car is lighter, the braking and cornering will also improve while ur accelration improves!:)

But without the right amount of weight distribution (especially in the rear) your rear end would tend to kick out more around corners without the right weight pushing down on the tires. Unless or course you put softer springs in the rear to compensate.

JPizzle 03-31-2004 04:42 PM

How heavy is a 2jz?

Mr B 03-31-2004 11:24 PM

Damn heavy.

shimz350z 04-01-2004 12:04 AM

Originally posted by phatshiet
Can anyone shed anymore info on this swap? It seems like a nice alternative to the vq35 in terms of rebuild and parts availability.
in japan aren't they swapping the skyline engines with the vq in the racing circuit?:confused: :icon11: ...opposite of here.:icon14:

ps. was the gtr ever rear wheel drive?....i'm not too familiar with the skylines but i thought they were awd:icon14: ...or both in different versions

Mr B 04-01-2004 01:16 AM

The GTR was always awd but there were electronics to make it rwd... and some people changed the driveshaft and made it strictly rwd. To get lots of power, the RB26DETT still rules and that's a reason why they're putting it into the Z still. Only problem is it makes the car really heavy and changes the weight distribution a lot. I think at a race, Nismo had a tuned VQ 350Z and a RB 350Z and the VQ had faster lap times. Anyway, on a road course (or drifting), having less weight and a decent amount of power is better than having lots of power and too much weight. With the extra weight, you start eating up tires faster and working the brakes more. Then you with more power, you eat both of those up even faster! :D