Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Lightweight flywheel noise - what exactly causes it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:34 AM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lightweight flywheel noise - what exactly causes it?

The noise emitted by lightweight flywheels on the Z (chattering, cement mixer, gravel in the tranny, etc.) is of course old news to those of us with light weight flywheels. However, I've still never really heard exactly *what* is causing that noise.

The stock flywheel is a dual mass, dampened flywheel, so it's silent.

All the other flywheels (such JWT, Tilton, etc) make the chattering noise.

There is one exception I'm aware of: the Nismo is a single mass flywheel, right? But from what I've read it is silent. Why is that? Perhaps it actually does make noise, and the few posts I saw were misinformed.

I'm just wondering what on Earth makes that noise. I've had older cars with stock single mass flywheels (and have friends that still do), and those don't make any noise. So why are the aftermarket units noisy?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently the Unorthodox Racing flywheel is also quiet.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:49 AM
westpak
SFZCC

The Nismo also makes the noise. I guess they don't make the noise just transfer it where as the stock being two piece and dampened shields the driver from the noise.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:03 AM
one3502nv

The stock flywheel includes a sprung center as does the clutch assembly. This absorbs any slight variations in engine rpm at low rpms. The light weight clutch and flywheel have no springs at all. Any slight variation in rpm cause the floating center plates of the clutch to rattle against the clutch cover. Think of marbles in a coffee can. Accelerating the coffee will cause the marbles to stay against one side and be quiet. Shake the coffee can and then see what happens. All the noise should go away under hard acceleration when the discs are pinned from load....

Jason(aka MRC)
Old 02-11-2005, 05:08 AM
TheBigShow

Originally posted by FritzMan
doubt it; i wish, but i doubt.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Machupo

Originally posted by one3502nv
The stock flywheel includes a sprung center as does the clutch assembly. This absorbs any slight variations in engine rpm at low rpms. The light weight clutch and flywheel have no springs at all. Any slight variation in rpm cause the floating center plates of the clutch to rattle against the clutch cover. Think of marbles in a coffee can. Accelerating the coffee will cause the marbles to stay against one side and be quiet. Shake the coffee can and then see what happens. All the noise should go away under hard acceleration when the discs are pinned from load....

Jason(aka MRC)
which is precisely why i'm going to pick up a sprung hub clutch disc the next time the car is in the shop
Old 02-11-2005, 07:12 AM
FritzMan

Originally posted by TheBigShow
doubt it; i wish, but i doubt.
Mine literally came in a few minutes ago.

I'll report back in a few days with impressions.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:23 AM
TheBigShow

awesome; yeah, let us know.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:26 PM
ES9017

Hell, mines stock and I hear it all the time.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:42 PM
350z4steve

not all all it is as noisy as the rest of the aftermarket ones.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

if you press the shift **** forward into 3rd gear with your foot off the clutch (it wont go into gear, dont force it, just press it forward..)

you will get rid of most of the chatter...
Old 02-12-2005, 04:32 PM
FritzMan

Originally posted by 350z4steve
not all all it is as noisy as the rest of the aftermarket ones.
I was assured by the vendor that it wasn't. Considering the premium over a JWT example, I hope it's not.

Have you personally heard a 350z with a UR flywheel installed or are you just speculating?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:35 PM
350z4steve

I was assured by the vendor that it wasn't. Considering the premium over a JWT example, I hope it's not.

Have you personally heard a 350z with a UR flywheel installed or are you just speculating?
no speculation at all. I have one.don't get me wrong the flywheel is great and works as advertised its just not quiet and I am not sure why someone would tell you it is I mean it still makes the same sound (cement mixer) till about 2000 RPMs.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I dont remember exactly waht it is called that causes it... i had a long conversation with Jim Wolf about it...

it is this thing that sends a jolt to the cank for timing and it does it in 3 pulses per second... and it causes that rattle... the stock flywheel is 2 pieces so it somewhat absorbs the sound...

i just cant remember exactly what the part is called off hand...

and isnt the UR flywheel 2 pieces? the timing plate off an AUTO plate or something?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:08 AM
350z4steve

It looks like its 2 piece but it still sounds like others do

view pic
Old 02-13-2005, 04:26 AM
FritzMan

That's a bummer. When you say it 'still' makes that cement mixer sound are you comparing it to the OEM noise (which I can handle). Or is it loud enough that a passenger can hear it and think something's broken? My goal is to keep the car sounding & looking as OEM as possible. It's supposed to be a comfortable daily driver first and hobby car second.

Knowing how your UR sounds, have you heard a JWT example? Are they really that similar?

BTW, as pictured in your link I got a weight of 13.6 lbs. So I think the 12 lbs advertised weight is without the bolt-on steel interface to the clutch.

Last edited by FritzMan; 02-13-2005 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:56 AM
350z4steve

That's a bummer. When you say it 'still' makes that cement mixer sound are you comparing it to the OEM noise (which I can handle). Or is it loud enough that a passenger can hear it and think something's broken? My goal is to keep the car sounding & looking as OEM as possible. It's supposed to be a comfortable daily driver first and hobby car second.

Knowing how your UR sounds, have you heard a JWT example? Are they really that similar?

BTW, as pictured in your link I got a weight of 13.6 lbs. So I think the 12 lbs advertised weight is without the bolt-on steel interface to the clutch.
yes I have heard the JWT and to some ears its even louder but I would say they are about the same. And yes you definetely can hear it and so can your passenger if you just bring the car to a stop and dont press in the clutch the flywheel chatter is very apparent or someone on the outside may say whats wrong with your car

If you are looking for OEM this and that as far as looks and performance wise then look to not replacing your flywheel or at the very least sticking with the nismo one.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:38 PM
jchen1020

I have the same noise problem, they replced the tranny twice, same issue. I do have JWT clutch/flywheel combo, but it just sucks
Old 02-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the stock flywheel is a dual mass unit, which is what helps it absorb engine noise.

Some flywheels are a bit on the louder side, others are not. Having personally run and install the UR on several Z's of various years, there is no noise difference vs stock at any rpm range
Old 02-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
the stock flywheel is a dual mass unit, which is what helps it absorb engine noise.

Some flywheels are a bit on the louder side, others are not. Having personally run and install the UR on several Z's of various years, there is no noise difference vs stock at any rpm range
I have the UR Flywheel on my car and I'm going to have to say that it sounds just like stock. Hands down the UR flywheel to date has been the best mod that I have done to my car. I drive my car every single to day, to college and to work and believe me the UR flywheel has only made my commutes more pleasureable

Kwame

Quick Reply: Lightweight flywheel noise - what exactly causes it?