Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

REVIEW!!! UR Flywheel + JWT Clutch

Old 06-16-2005, 11:22 PM
JKDman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEW!!! UR Flywheel + JWT Clutch

After months of waiting... I've finally done it.
I had to wait months because the Unorthodox FW was on backorder.

Anyway... On with the INITIAL REVIEW!!!!!!

COLD START:
No chatter. (of course)

FIRST RUN:
Being that there is a break-in period for the new clutch, i haven't been mashing on the car just yet. I'll be waiting for about maybe 400-500 miles or so before resuming my normal driving habits.
But i did take 1st gear up to about 5k RPM.
She's never pulled this hard.

FEEL:
The clutch pedal's engagement point appears to be a couple inches off the floor. I've red other people's posts that this moves up as days pass? (Can anyone confirm?) Otherwise, the JWT clutch does not have the SPONGY/SPRINGY feel that stock does. It feels slightly softer, yet more solid at the same time. I'm liking it so far. Hopefully the engagement point will move up only a couple inches at most.

REVs:
The revs are definitely much quicker. They fall much quicker as well. During free-revs and down shifting, the revs shot up very quick. For example, when i used to downshift, i'd have to blip the throttle for nearly a second to get a good rev-match. Now it's seriously just a split second blip. Feels FAN-TAS-TIC. Engine braking seems a little more stronger than before.

NOISE: (aka Chatter/Cement Mixer)
The only time I hear chatter is after the car is fully warmed up and at idle. If i depress the clutch pedal, it's quiet of course. Not overbearing. More audible if you're in an enclosed area (like in a garage, or parked next to other cars).

While driving, chatter is audible around 1500 RPM but only at WOT. For example:
If i engage 1st gear at 1000RPM and FLOOR IT (WOT), then as i pass through 1500RPM there's a split second of chatter. Then from that point it's as quiet as stock. If i DON'T FLOOR IT, and for example it's at half throttle, i won't hear any chatter passing through 1500rpm.

1500 RPM appears to be it for the higher gears as well. If i'm at 3rd gear and WOT at 1500RPM, i'll hear chatter. But who in their right mind would be in 3rd gear going 1500RPM? That's like going 15-18mph in that gear.

I can honestly say the only time i'm at 1500 RPM is during two instances:
1. Taking off from a stop in first gear.
2. Bumper to Bumper traffic.

Other times i'm well over 2000 RPM in any gear. I don't think noise will be an issue for me at all.

VIBRATIONS:
This was the major thing. I did not want *ANY* vibrations WHATSOEVER. I can honestly say that if i installed this thing and there was vibration, i would go back tomorrow and pay them to take it off.

Thank God there are no in-cabin vibrations whatsoever. Even during the audible chatter, there is *NO* vibration coming from the engine into the cockpit. You can *HEAR* it. You don't *FEEL* it.

OVERALL RATING:
So far so good. I'm not too bothered by the chatter. I'm actually very happy that it occurs around 1500RPM. Hopefully this aspect will not change.

Special thanks to:StreetImage
Once again, you guys have come through for me.
Great pricing and customer service.

If anyone has questions, please respond with them.
I'll be continuously adding to this review as the Clutch gets broken in and i finally resume my normally pounding.

To be continued...

Last edited by JKDman; 06-16-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:29 PM
apexi97tsi

Very nice in depth review! This will definitely be bookmarked as one of my references when I go Flywheel and Clutch shopping! Approx. how many months were they on backorder?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 PM
JKDman

Originally Posted by apexi97tsi
Very nice in depth review! This will definitely be bookmarked as one of my references when I go Flywheel and Clutch shopping! Approx. how many months were they on backorder?
3 months

Glad that wait is over.
It was almost as bad as my wait for my RIMS!