Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Tantrum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

I never liked the way my clutch was adjusted until I found these two great threats.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=clutch

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

I made the modification this morning and the result is FANTASTIC. I took pictures and wrote each step of the modification. Hope this will be helpful
Attached Thumbnails High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?-01.jpg   High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?-02.jpg   High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?-03.jpg  

Last edited by Tantrum; 06-18-2005 at 02:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
robike_75 (03-06-2017)
Old 06-18-2005, 02:39 PM
sakred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thanks allot man for the write up/ pics. iv always hated the clutch in my 05 compared to the the 03 Z i owned. the 05s engagement point was just too high.
thanks again

Hammad
Old 06-18-2005, 05:49 PM
speedygp

Talking

Originally Posted by Tantrum
I never liked the way my clutch was adjusted until I found these two great threats.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=clutch

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

I made the modification this morning and the result is FANTASTIC. I took pictures and wrote each step of the modification. Hope this will be helpful

Very nice write up!!! I also marked a line with a shapie so I could count the turns I made!!! This is a very worth while mod!!!
Old 06-18-2005, 06:00 PM
myehrick09

Subscribing
Old 06-18-2005, 07:14 PM
jdy107

lol I thought I was the only one who hated the high engagement point on the clutch.
When I drove my friends' S2000 and prelude type sh, I felt it was A LOT easier to drive these cars than my z. and when my friends tried to drive my z, they were revving the hell out of it, not being able to take off lol(they were stalling it too). altho I felt kinda bad cause my clutch was getting burned
Old 06-18-2005, 07:17 PM
jkoc

so is this ok for the clutch? does it fully engage/disengage?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:40 PM
mchapman

Interesting, so does this just move the pedal down? Or is the clutch engagement point move further down as well?

Last edited by mchapman; 06-18-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Tantrum

today is one of the happiest days I have had in my entire life. My Z is sooooooooooooooooooo much more easy to drive. I just came back from my friend's house and I just couldnt stop driving. I just drove around to enjoy it more. We all know that 350Zs are fun to drive, after this modification, it is so much more fun.

here I enclose a few more things about this modification

1- the reason why this mod is completely fine is that the architecture of the clutch has built to allow owners to adjust if needed. it is a known fact that this type of clutches are used in performance cars.

2- why does it not come like that from the factory? if you carefully look at the rod before you turn it, the rod is in the middle, so it is okay for tall and short people. but everybody's preference is different, even though I am not a short guy, i like my clutch as low possible as it can be.

3- how are you gonna notice if you made this mod incorrect? the only thing that you dont want after the mod is that your clutch still disangages when it is in. so, turn on the engine, put it in the 1st gear, keep the clutch in, is the car moving or did it stall? yes? that means you turned the rod so many times, the clutch doesnt disangage. no? you are completely fine, it still makes a complete disengagement.

4- my clutch was completely fine when I bought my Z 2 years ago. It had gotten higher and higher everyday. It came to a point where I really hated to drive (until this morning). There is only a small locknut that is supposed to keep the rod stable. However cars vibrate as we drive which will loosen the nut, move the rod, raise the clutch. PS. The nut was pretty loosen when I touched it this morning.

try it if you think your clutch travels a lot
Old 06-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Tantrum

Originally Posted by mchapman
Interesting, so does this just move the pedal down? Or is the clutch engagement point move further down as well?
this modification is to adjust (lengthen or shorten) the clutch's travelling distance. therefore the answer of your question is BOTH.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

subscribing...

so this mod won't be like driving around with the clutch semi-engaged right? it just moves the pedal position a little bit lower?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:42 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Thanks Tantrum for taking the time. Even after reading on the other links without pics I was a bit confused.

Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:31 AM
narkotic

I performed this mod years ago when I first got my G. At first I had done it too much, I noticed that it was too difficult to get the car into 1st gear. I moved it back out a few turns and it's fine now. I probably did about 6 turns.

Also, don't forget. Your cruise control won't work if it is adjusted too low. You also need to adjust the cruise control switch in conjunction with adjusting the pedal. This is done in a familiar fashion. Unlock the nut, and turn the switch by hand. This will be kinda difficult w/ the wires still attached, but it is a ***** to detach that wire harness for some reason.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:16 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Nice Tantrum Glad to see some pics finally of this mod...
Old 06-19-2005, 02:00 PM
apexi97tsi

Excellent! Thanks for the pics Tantrum, now I have a visualization of what to do before I mess with stuff.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:24 PM
jkoc

i just tried this... it works great except your instructs says CLOCKWISE. when i turned it 3 times clockwise, the clutch friction point moved higher so i ended up with a really high big-rig truck action. i had to turn mine COUNTER CLOCKWISE to get my clutch engagement point lower.
The following users liked this post:
trusovici (02-28-2017)
Old 06-19-2005, 04:24 PM
jkoc

oh btw, WOW what a huge huge huge difference it makes.. i turned mine 3 times. i think its a lil too much ... so i have to reduce it to say 2.5 half turns.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Alang35

there is talk of this mod prematurely wearing out the clutch and putting strain on the master cylinder or something like that. most guys turn theirs 2-3 times. i turned mine once for a small change that hopefuly wont shorten the life of my clutch. can anybody shed some light on the wear issue?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:09 PM
jkoc

Maybe it wears down the clutch because people are not used to the lowered clutch and are still driving the car like the old high engagedment clutch... Grinding the thing, slipping it into engagement point heh heh
Old 06-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Badfish25

yeah I did this as soon as i saw this thread, I had to turn counter clockwise as well. (05 z) Clutch engages much nicer now. I Only turned it about 1 time counter clockwise and I couldn't even get it to go anymore.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:44 PM
tienlo

No no the cruise control button doesn't press because the pedal is further down. So you just need to get some sticky sponge and stick it to the black thing that presses the button and close the gap. it took me about 2 minutes including running upstairs to get the scissors.

Quick Reply: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?