MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Have you installed a grounding kit? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/14764-have-you-installed-a-grounding-kit.html)

a_p 12-25-2002 01:27 PM

Have you installed a grounding kit?

With all the hits on the posts about grounding kits, I'm curious about the number of Z owners that have installed it.

LiquidZee 12-25-2002 03:23 PM

I'm planning on installing one some time in the future, right now i'm waiting on a nice sound system/ entertainment system for my car. After this comes the grounding kit.

MSOsr 12-25-2002 03:45 PM

Installed a kit from Insaneamine yesterday. I believe the idle is smoother and it seems to run up better after 4000 rpm.

Besides, it looks TERRIFIC!

ares 12-25-2002 10:20 PM

installed it, final cost was like 100$, but that included 20 for crimpers and 20 for a ratchet set. then 40 for ends(very high quality) and 13 for wire. was it worth it? well I more enjoyed the labor involved, thats why I mod. end result actually doesnt totally matter. its just a hobby. just like a true car restorer could probably restore a 88 ford fiesta and have just as much fun as a 1940s ford.

Its all about the journey, not the destination.

of course in this case the destination was nice, not totally worthless, I notice a difference. whether it was worth the 100$ I spent? probably not, I mean the car wasnt having any problems idleing before, but smoother is better. for me it was very well worth it. if you plan to go out, buy the wire premade and bring it to a shop to install it? well, I wouldnt do that.

tbob 12-26-2002 10:02 AM

Not yet, still trying to decide if I want to buy or build a set.

12SecZ 12-26-2002 10:51 AM

Still waiting for mine. Sent Pay Pal to insamneme before Christmas. I think he is taking a vaction because I haven't heard from him.

Hopefully he sent it out today, I can't wait.

Ordered the blue. It will look awesome with my AEM Blue CAI I am considering.

Troy9 12-26-2002 11:59 AM

Just finished installing my home made kit. The most noticable difference to me is the lowering of the RPM.

whatever 12-26-2002 01:21 PM

Yeah, the only difference I felt was the car idle rpm is lower. That and the interesting reaction from the Service Director when I brought the car in for the Bose fix. He's still trying to find out for me why Nissan came out with this kit and what it's exact function is....

rouxeny 12-26-2002 03:24 PM

I bought and installed the Nissan kit. There is definitely a small difference. The car idles at a lower RPM and is somewhat smoother when revved.

I'd encourage pretty much everybody to get it. However, I'd purchase one of the ones on sale by members here or I'd try to make my own. Looking back, buying the Nissan kit was probably a little bit excessive.

It's a fairly cheap and very easy way to add something unique to your car.

insaneamine 12-26-2002 05:25 PM

Are you kidding?!?!

You all know I have one installed:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=11450

ganz 12-27-2002 01:40 AM

I installed the kit sold by insaneamine. I think for the 85 bucks you pay it is a worthwhile purchase just to erase any doubt about ECU or engine issues. If it still idles rough after you install it, then you can definitely say there is something wrong and you can't blame the ECU or ground. That said, my mind *believes* that the idle is smoother and that the throttle response is improved.

Also, as many other members have stated, insane's kit is a VERY good deal. The goodies he includes with the package is DEFINITELY worth the price. I will not say more :p

Finally, I think the cables make it look like your car has veins :)

PS: Props go out to Mr B who helped me with the install... a 50 minute job (40 mins if his fingers weren't so big :D). You da man!

12SecZ 12-27-2002 09:27 AM

Update!

Mine is on it's way from the way too cool insanenme guy!

Going out tomorow in blue. My idle is high and jittery so I can't wait. Plus it will look so cool!

A pic will definately be at my website after install.

Dolfan13 12-28-2002 08:40 AM

I will be installing mine next weekend....I am looking forward to it.

chazzg 12-28-2002 10:07 AM

I Installed mine last night and i did notice a smoother Idle and revs. But why is Everybody making fun of me for doing it? One of my friends(an M3 owner) Asked me why i was putting Speaker wire on my engine? I toold him and he LAUGHED at me and said" doesn't Nissan Ground the car when they build it? thats what you get for buying a Nissan." I also when in for a oil change this moring and the Nissan Tec. ask my what is was, so i told him and Laughed at me too saing it was just a wast of money!!!
So what do i say to people when they laugh at me for doing this mod?

12SecZ 12-28-2002 12:03 PM

Tell them it's your car and you will do whatever you want to it, when they make the payment then they can laugh.

Also tell them it improved your idle and throttle.

Why would they laugh at that?

Jealousy, that's why.

a_p 12-28-2002 12:48 PM

Originally posted by chazzg
I Installed mine last night and i did notice a smoother Idle and revs. But why is Everybody making fun of me for doing it? One of my friends(an M3 owner) Asked me why i was putting Speaker wire on my engine? I toold him and he LAUGHED at me and said" doesn't Nissan Ground the car when they build it? thats what you get for buying a Nissan." I also when in for a oil change this moring and the Nissan Tec. ask my what is was, so i told him and Laughed at me too saing it was just a wast of money!!!

I tell people it makes a difference because this car has CVTCS and delivers a cleaner signal to the ECU.

how true that is, i dunno, but after I tell them that, they agree that grounding is a good idea.

Eric1h 12-28-2002 01:37 PM

bhobson333 and I installed them today! Highly recommended and easy to do

bhobson333 12-29-2002 04:06 PM

i did notice a smoother Idle and revs. But why is Everybody making fun of me for doing it?
As you said, "i did notice a smoother Idle and revs". After that, who cares????

The way I describe it to people is this: "Better grounding improves the quality and reliability of the data that the computer receives from the sensors, allowing the computer to control the engine more precisely. From what I have heard, it has been used in the racing industry for years and there are dyno-proven results from installing one. It seems to me that it made an improvement, and it was cheap, easy, and fun to install."

a_p 12-30-2002 10:03 PM

Of those who've installed a grounding kit, less than 10% (3/36) say they can't feel a difference with the grounding kit.

Although I voted in the "I think it makes a difference" category, I expected many more would vote in the "you guys are quacks" section..

any comments from the non-quacks to the quacks?

SHO-TIME 12-31-2002 09:32 AM

Show them this picture and tell them that it comes as a factory option by Nissan in Japan. :)

http://www.japanparts.com/NissanPart...33/pic/004.JPG