Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

The real deal about turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Zthirtythree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok ok true true

turbos can be for real drivers... what was i thinking. afterall i do want a turbo too, but on a s13 silvia for drifiting. i was merely trying to stress my unhappiness towards the flocks of i-need-a-t4-with-a-blowoff-valve-so-it-goes-woosh idiots. THANKS for being civil JOE SHOW i agree with you. but now i must disagree

STOCK is simple, NA tuning is not. porting, stroking, changing timing, adjusting a stand alone management system.... not simple. but well worth it. you guys must be thinking that im talking about a AEM cold-air intake and a cat-back exhaust. bolt ons are not NA tuning.

further more, I AM SURE MATTA WANTS MORE POWER, and the fact is that if you took the turbos off CART car they would be slower. so of course he wants them, but he was not asked weither he wants 800hp NA or turbo... he was asked if he wants 500hp NA or 800hp turbo. no comparison.

EVERYONE WANTS POWER, its how you get it that counts.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:53 PM
n3985

Hey, you started with the BMW CART engine, this thread was about street cars and their applicable powerplants. BTW, you drove a B16 overbored to 2 liters? Cool, how much power did it put down?

P.S. Is calling somebody stupid really necessary? If yes, then shut the f*ck up you little piece of sh*t!

J/k
Old 01-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Fyrestrike

the fact is that if you took the turbos off CART car they would be slower
You understand that if an engine is tuned for boost, that it runs like crap without it right? The engine would then be tuned for a turbo and not have one.

Also, you start off by saying that NA is better then Turbo because of a reliable powerband... but you are assuming that everyone likes a straight "reliable" powerband.

This is what Nissan assumed when they went with the throttle by wire, which most Z owners don't like. I just don't see what you would understand about powerbands if you drive a CRV.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:22 PM
n3985

Originally posted by Fyrestrike
I just don't see what you would understand about powerbands if you drive a CRV.
oh...owned....
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Fyrestrike

This is what Nissan assumed when they went with the throttle by wire, which most Z owners don't like. .
Throttle by wire only effects how evenly the throttle is opened up. Nothing to do w/ the powerband. Throttle by wire is a good thing.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:05 PM
joeshow750

STOCK is simple, NA tuning is not. porting, stroking, changing timing, adjusting a stand alone management system.... not simple. but well worth it. you guys must be thinking that im talking about a AEM cold-air intake and a cat-back exhaust. bolt ons are not NA tuning.
No question, NA tuning is EXTREMELY complicated (especially when talking about F1 engines, OMG those things are extraordinary). I have a great deal of respect for the F1 mechanics and engineers as well as all NA tuners (and I'm not talking AEM/cat-back either). Those guys know WTF they're doing. But I never said that NA tuning was simple. I said driving one is simpler and easier. Anyone that thinks N/A tuning is simple most likely just doesn't know the process it involves.
BTW I do think F1 is the "pinnacle" of racing, unfortunately the whole extended-parade-lap-only-one-guy-on-the-lead-lap thing can get old. But those Cart cars hold their own and the competition in Cart is FEROCIOUS.
Just one more thing about blow off valves...I know you were talking about the guys in the civics PPPSSSSHHHH ing all the time, but go see a Cart car live and tell me the blow off valve isn't just AWESOME (SO FRICKIN' LOUD).
Old 01-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Zthirtythree

CART is awesome.. i know. i went to the long beach grand prix. right now CART and F3000 kill F1 as far as excitement and competitiveness, but F1 technology is BEAUTIFUL. no doubt about it, but thanks Joe.

next subject, i dont love my crv, but its a good car. never fails. im sure ill have plenty of money later to have my own z. till then i guess ill just have to borrow my dads when im home on break.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:17 PM
LBC TRD

where do you go to school?
Old 01-06-2003, 03:18 AM
ATL350Z

Originally posted by Zthirtythree
[B]me again, just replying to this last one. just in case you didnt know Fomula 1 has a engine restriction of 3000cc. thats 3liters for you american folk.
Last time I checked those were both Metric system measurements. Please, spare me your "I am uber-intelligent, don't waste my time" act, okay?

Please, go troll someplace else.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Zthirtythree

im tired of this thread

thanks for the nice conversation guys
Old 01-06-2003, 09:18 AM
franklinz

franklinz
Old 01-06-2003, 12:07 PM
KIMUTAKU

so now do u disagree w/ ur first statement??

the "turbo is for auto and n/a for real driver" crap??

i can see where u are coming from...(u love F1...that's y u ***** about turbos)...

ok PERIOD...
Old 01-06-2003, 12:25 PM
digerydingo

So wait.... your saying Senna was a putz because he drove in F1 when they where turboed and real drivers don't drive turbos?

No wait.... you meant Senna was forced into drive a turboed car, unlawfully held agains his will by earning 14million a year +endorsements. What a sellout!

Well there are some obvious things I see here. Initial D is a really cool show/manga but not always technicaly correct. Your friends have some nice cars but get a real racer to take you around a track in a turbo and non turbo car. F1 is the ultimate motorsport but do some research to learn that turbos bowed out because of speed danger, not because they have non linear powerband and drivers think there a little H.O.M.O if they race one. And lastly spend two seconds to look at a dyno sheet and realize that modern turbos can provide reliable power delivery and realize that F1 machines are as fast as they used to be but a million times twitchier and difficult to drive with NA engines.