MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Reflash at AAM this weekend... Need advice (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/170493-reflash-at-aam-this-weekend-need-advice.html)

Rhoads 02-08-2006 02:16 PM

Reflash at AAM this weekend... Need advice

Just finished my bolt-ons today and I have an appointment at AAM this Saturday. Just wondering if you guys recommend the basic reflash for $600 or go for the custom tuning for $1K. I am leaning towards the custom tuning so they can get my A/F perfect and tune my z to its full potential, but does the custom tuning really make a HUGE difference compared to the reflash? Thanks for your help.

NINJA-Z 02-08-2006 02:51 PM

Ask Mike

Just ask Mike i am sure he can give you the information you need to get the most out of your Z

Rhoads 02-08-2006 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by NINJA-Z
Just ask Mike i am sure he can give you the information you need to get the most out of your Z

Thats who I talked to on the phone and he suggested the custom reflash. Seemed like a nice guy.

NINJA-Z 02-08-2006 03:01 PM

Yep

Yeah just got my car back from there, had the HKS supercharger installed along with 440cc injectors and the plenum spacer and they tuned it with the HKS Navigator. They did a excellent job, Mike, Dave and everyone that works there are good people. I think you will be pleased with the results.

Rickdogg 02-08-2006 03:34 PM

I'm just curious as to what this "custom flash" is. Technosquare charged me one time and fine tuned it a handful of times to get it right and did not charge me extra for a custom flash

BobbyRitz 02-08-2006 03:36 PM

Unless the reflash is from HKS or is designed to maximize the mods that you currently have on your car, I'd spend the extra money and have it tuned.

As a side, how "tuneable" is the F-Con Navigator?

Dubai 02-08-2006 08:53 PM

Instead of throwing $1K on custom tuning, I would get a piggyback like the EU or UTEC to have better tuning options for the future.

k3silk 02-09-2006 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by scarface9
Instead of throwing $1K on custom tuning, I would get a piggyback like the EU or UTEC to have better tuning options for the future.

+1

k3silk 02-09-2006 03:45 AM

+1

k3silk 02-09-2006 03:45 AM

+1

abstrakt 02-09-2006 04:22 AM

I don't think the reflash is worth it for the money you are paying w/just bolt-ons. This is my personal opinion, I had it done and was disappointed w/the results. I didn't think the cost was worth the gains. I would suggest you research your options and then make a decision

Gooey 02-09-2006 05:27 AM

AAM in Rockville, MD?? im goin there this sat too to pick up my exhausts and cai

jpc350z 02-09-2006 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rhoads
Just finished my bolt-ons today and I have an appointment at AAM this Saturday. Just wondering if you guys recommend the basic reflash for $600 or go for the custom tuning for $1K. I am leaning towards the custom tuning so they can get my A/F perfect and tune my z to its full potential, but does the custom tuning really make a HUGE difference compared to the reflash? Thanks for your help.

There standard re-flash raises the rev limiter to 7100rpm , eliminates the speed limiter (for those wanting to go faster than 156mph) and I believe adjusts the fuel map(s) to take advantage of your mod's..However adjusting the fuel map's is better accomplished on a dyno to really optimize power output..and is this what they do for a custom reflash..? In looking at your mod list the custom would seem to be a worthwhile return on the extra $400.0

Rhoads 02-09-2006 06:42 AM

I was thinking that this might be the way to go too. Basic reflash and a piggyback to fine tune everything...

Rhoads 02-09-2006 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gooey
AAM in Rockville, MD?? im goin there this sat too to pick up my exhausts and cai

its in Gaithersburg Maryland, but it might be the same place?

Rhoads 02-09-2006 06:46 AM

But if I just get the reflash will my A/F be where it should be? That is my primary concern. Im sure Im running lean as sh#t right now

davidv 02-09-2006 07:18 AM

But if I just get the reflash will my A/F be where it should be?

Ask for the regular ECU tune. The dyno will reveal if you might benefit from some additional tuning.

Rhoads 02-09-2006 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by davidv
Ask for the regular ECU tune. The dyno will reveal if you might benefit from some additional tuning.

I was discussing this with Dissolved... He says to dyno before and after the reflash is $150 dollars. So if I went with the custom tune It would already be getting dynoed, and it would only be $250 more dollars than just the reflash and pre & post dyno. Make sense?

Basic reflash($600) + pre($75) and post($75) reflash dyno= $750

Custom reflash($1000 and already getting dynoed)= $1000

When you look at it this way (if Im correct) it doesnt seem like much more $
I definetly want to before and after dyno.

davidv 02-09-2006 09:02 AM

I was discussing this with Dissolved... He says to dyno before and after the reflash is $150 dollars. So if I went with the custom tune It would already be getting dynoed, and it would only be $250 more dollars than just the reflash and pre & post dyno. Make sense?

Basic reflash($600) + pre($75) and post($75) reflash dyno= $750

Custom reflash($1000 and already getting dynoed)= $1000

When you look at it this way (if Im correct) it doesnt seem like much more $
I definetly want to before and after dyno.

Man is tuning expensive! I could spend the day with a medical doctor and it wouldn't cost $1,000. For $1,000 I would hope for an addition 10 horsepower to make it worth my $$$.

Rhoads 02-09-2006 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by davidv
Man is tuning expensive! I could spend the day with a medical doctor and it wouldn't cost $1,000. For $1,000 I would hope for an addition 10 horsepower to make it worth my $$$.

I know- I was talking about it with my dad and he says that Im insane, but Im kinda stuck now with all the bolt ons I have... i know Im running really lean and its not good for the engine. Plus Im hopeing the reflash will make all my mods come together nicely :) When are you getting your reflash David? you gotta be due for it with your bolt ons