Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UR Pulley question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Nano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikead_99
Yes and no. Apparently for a while the UR instructions only included the part about tightening to xx ft/lbs, and didn't mention the additional 60 degree turn. Yes people could have avoided problems by looking at the factory service manual for the correct tq spec, but I know I probably would have just followed the instructions that came with the part. I think UR definitely had their share of the responsibility for the related failures, but I can also tell you that their instructions are corrected now.
it's wasnt UR instructions that were wrong (pdf available online was good as far as I can remember), it was the KJR pulley instructions that were wrong

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...4&postcount=13

Last edited by Nano; 07-21-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:30 AM
first350

Originally Posted by Nano
it's wasnt UR instructions that were wrong (pdf available online was good as far as I can remember), it was the KJR pulley instructions that were wrong

+1, the instructions that came with mine (bought in Jan '05) matched the service manual instructions.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 AM
first350

Originally Posted by Robert_K
I could almost bet that ppl don't retighten after 500 miles.
I didn't remember reading that i nthe instructions...guess I should go recheck the torque on it today! (I assumed since that don't retighten the OE pulley nut after 500 miles from the factory, it wouldn't need it...but it makes sense now to just double check it hasn't loosened.)
Old 07-21-2006, 08:38 AM
mikead_99

Originally Posted by Nano

Huh, you may be right. As mentioned, it was right when I did mine, but since that was only a few months ago I remembered seeing something about bad instructions I assumed they were changed. If it was KJR with that problem, than I guess I agree with your previous post completely too.

@ g_torphins: Why post a link to a site that requires registration to view any content? Would you care to give us a little better synopsis than "NissanGB techs say UR pulley was to blame"? I don't want to register there since I don't fit their demographic.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 AM
mikead_99

Originally Posted by first350
I didn't remember reading that i nthe instructions...guess I should go recheck the torque on it today! (I assumed since that don't retighten the OE pulley nut after 500 miles from the factory, it wouldn't need it...but it makes sense now to just double check it hasn't loosened.)
I believe that is a reference to re-tighten the belts after they've stretched.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:48 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a feelign that many a dealership refused warranty work due to a Pulley..
Old 07-21-2006, 08:59 AM
g_torphins

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, you may be right. As mentioned, it was right when I did mine, but since that was only a few months ago I remembered seeing something about bad instructions I assumed they were changed. If it was KJR with that problem, than I guess I agree with your previous post completely too.

@ g_torphins: Why post a link to a site that requires registration to view any content? Would you care to give us a little better synopsis than "NissanGB techs say UR pulley was to blame"? I don't want to register there since I don't fit their demographic.
^Sorry,it's in the public forum so I thought all and sundry were free to view....
Attatched is a shot of the damage.
Cruising, 60mph in 5th no noise/warning just stopped dead.
Nissan fitted the pullies at customers request before car was collected after purchase.No indication about vioding warranty was made prior to installation.
Attached Thumbnails UR Pulley question..-350engine3.jpg  
Old 07-21-2006, 12:27 PM
dingobiatch

Ah.. This is the kinda thing I'm worried about.
The guy from CalienteAutomotive sent me another email.
"We DO NOT recommend using a lightweight crank pulley they have been shown to cause internal engine damage and damage to the crank itself, we only offer them because some people do not mind the future issues. Soon there will be a light weight crank pulley that will not damage your engine but it is still in the works."

And seeing as he said multiple people had problems, and one had to pay $3k in repairs (which might be the guy someone linked to a few posts back..)...
I don't know.

And hypothetically, if I do get it, was that a joke about tightening the pulley again after 500 miles? Or was that a serious thing?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

on a car that has a damper on the OE pulley... ours does not...

If worried about it... dont get it... but there is nothing to worry about...
Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
first350

Originally Posted by first350
I didn't remember reading that i nthe instructions...guess I should go recheck the torque on it today! (I assumed since that don't retighten the OE pulley nut after 500 miles from the factory, it wouldn't need it...but it makes sense now to just double check it hasn't loosened.) .

oh, I did that...

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

on a car that has a damper on the OE pulley... ours does not...

If worried about it... dont get it... but there is nothing to worry about...

I agree that there's a very small likleyhood of something going wrong (the biggest reason for a failure to happen is improper installation...just read and re-read the instructions and make sure you have the right info)

*but in the end, if it's going to be something you're always worried about while driving, you shouldn't get it...peace of mind is worth a lot. (When I was in college, I would work on my own motorcycle [750 GSXR] even though I wasn't totaly confident working on a bike...I worried so much while I was riding that something would break, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I should've; I ended up paying a shop to do all of my work once I graduated and got a job - I enjoyed riding much more after that!)