MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Just FYI; It's important to have the ECU mounted properly! (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/218961-just-fyi-its-important-to-have-the-ecu-mounted-properly.html)

failsafe306 09-23-2006 01:17 PM

Just FYI; It's important to have the ECU mounted properly!

Ever since I swapped in my new (used) stock motor, my car has ran like crap: rough startup, noticeable loss of power on and off throughout the powerband, and constant P0300 and other codes. The cause? When I sold my UTEC, I guess I was in a hurry and shipped off my OEM ECU bracket along with it. So for the last month I've been driving around with my ECU basically hanging by it's harness. Well, today I got a new bracket and re-installed the ECU the correct way and guess what....nice clean start-up with NO CEL's and much smoother powerband, with much more peak power! Guess it really helps when the ECU is properly grounded, huh? DOH!

Oh well, lesson learned. Just thought I'd share my story in case anyone thought it would be a good idea to drive around with your ECU not mounted properly. :icon44:

-Chris

ImportPartsPro 09-23-2006 05:30 PM

Chris,

Good info :cool:

How is the restock-a-fication going??

failsafe306 09-23-2006 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle(Houston)
Chris,

Good info :cool:

How is the restock-a-fication going??

It's stock-a-fied already. Well, except for JWT cams that is. It is running so great now, that I'm planning on keeping it for a while. :)

bullseye 09-24-2006 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Ever since I swapped in my new (used) stock motor, my car has ran like crap: rough startup, noticeable loss of power on and off throughout the powerband, and constant P0300 and other codes. The cause? When I sold my UTEC, I guess I was in a hurry and shipped off my OEM ECU bracket along with it. So for the last month I've been driving around with my ECU basically hanging by it's harness. Well, today I got a new bracket and re-installed the ECU the correct way and guess what....nice clean start-up with NO CEL's and much smoother powerband, with much more peak power! Guess it really helps when the ECU is properly grounded, huh? DOH!

Oh well, lesson learned. Just thought I'd share my story in case anyone thought it would be a good idea to drive around with your ECU not mounted properly. :icon44:

-Chris

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I had a related issue with the TCM...

When I first bought my 5AT G35s, I had some aftermarket audio system components installed, including speakers, subs, and a 1,300w 5-way amp. The amp was driven by the OEM head unit with a power converter. I did not know it at the time, but the installers mounted the converter under the dash with zip-ties to the TCM.

I started to have problems with the AT right away. For example, the trans would stick in 2nd gear. I'd stop and turn off the car, restart, and then drive away with no shifting problems. The dealer could not diagnose the problem at first, but after 3 tries, they did. They relocated the power converter away from the TCM, and I have not had a single problem with the AT ever since. The dealer said that the converter created a strong electromagnetic field when in use, which interfered with the logic in the TCM. With the converter and the TCM separated, the TCM relearned its functions, and fully recovered.

ImportPartsPro 09-24-2006 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by failsafe306
It's stock-a-fied already. Well, except for JWT cams that is. It is running so great now, that I'm planning on keeping it for a while. :)

Awesome...good to hear :cool: