Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 PM
9kFever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Sounds like a good rounded off figure.

Then NNA’s arbitration dept has no excuse for not calling your BBB rep back in a timely manner...bastards

k...now I am starting to feel old.
5000$ is just a number. I honestly dont see myself keeping the car. I also believe I have had the worst case so far in consumption terms.

Engine 1: 2 qts low every 700 miles
Engine 2: 2.5 qts low after 700 miles (collapsed rings)
Engine 3: 1.2 qts low after 700 miles (Revised Motor)
Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
ZeeForce

Indeed the worst case I have seen.

Hopefully you will keep the family tradition going, and be seeing ya in an 07 or 08.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM
9kFever

Hopefully you will keep the family tradition going, and be seeing ya in an 07 or 08.

thats my first choice
Old 12-02-2007, 07:58 AM
06CPV35

Through my resources I have obtained a hard copy of the TSB. The one we have been waiting on for 2 years.

NNA just released it on 11/27/07.

I will post it up in awhile.
This is awesome news for you Z guys.
It's about time they put all the Dealers on the same page and with a fairer warranty consumption standard.

My TSB resource searches hasn't found one for Infiniti...yet.
I'm thinking the databases I'm using haven't updated yet.

Infiniti's TSB's start with the letters ITB.
Anyway to check your source for results, being yours seem to be updated much sooner than mine?

I'm going to PM an Administrator on another forum I belong to that lists all TSB and Recalls for Infiniti. Hope we get the same TSB as you peeps.
If we do...then I finally qualify with no hassles involved, other than one or two Dealer OC monitoring visits.
Much better than what I've been reading for the past two years and hassles ppl have gone through.
Thanks for posting up that TSB.
Originally Posted by Mid117
Wow....finally we got a break.

Should we expect a letter from Nissan, offering every rev-up owner a new V2 motor?
Not an expert, but I'm going to say no. Usually customers receive letters when it's a recall. I did for example, on the 06 G35 headlight recall.
TSB's are essentially internal communications between manufactures and Dealers on known problems/issues with fixes and procedures.
Customers are usually not contacted with these, being there are usually many TSB's generated for specific year/model or pertaining to all models within a specified year range.

Originally Posted by 9kFever
thats my first choice
9k...Hope you prevail in your first choice. It would be mine after all the VQ's you've been through.
The fourth generation VQ35HR is a better engine imo with two of many examples: It's block height increased to reduce piston side force and redline at 7500rpm.
Not sure what the 08 Z is going to have...VQ37VHR?
I'm not up to date on that, but wouldn't that be something if it was going to sport that in it's engine bay.
G/L with your situation.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 AM
luvZcar

ok got the call friday and my new motor should be here this week.I also called NNA and the rep called me on friday but I was not home at that time,so will call him monday.The lady I had talked to was very nice and I did talk about the warranty issue and how I feel as if they need to either give me a new one stating with this motor or the extended one,so will see.I asked for the part #and it is a V2 hope this helps me as it still worries me that some of you are still consuming oil.I too have not yet had to call the BBB but with this motor I feel they will be getting a final repair notice.and 9k sorry to hear about this motor and its failing on you, and I thought my oil consumption was bad
1st motor 2+ qts every 1k
2nd motor 1qt every 1k and getting worse its eating more all the time its like up to 1 1/2 qt in 1k now and I love the fact that nissan finaly gave us a TSB now they have to make good on thier product
9K go for the 07/08 if you can or I hope they pay you to try another V2 this has gone on too long for some of us and its time for compensation!!!!!!

Last edited by luvZcar; 12-02-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 AM
luvZcar

down 1/4 qt within 2500 miles during the engine break in period?Zeeforce how do you feel about that? it seems to be not that bad,are you happy with that? assuming it does not get any worse will you call this motor a winner?I think I could live with that and the warranty they gave you and........ maybe some cash for oil!!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 AM
bremboboy

do they care what type of oil is being used? (for the tsb)
Old 12-02-2007, 10:49 AM
pieohpah

I purchased on 06 a few months back used with 8500 miles on it. I have put about 2500 miles on it and it has burned about 2 1/2 quarts of oil, one quart for every thousand miles or so. Do you guys think that is excessive enough for my car to qualify for the TSB and new engine?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:03 AM
anate

Let's try to get to the bottom of what this new 'V3' could have that is different than the V2. I only have 350 miles on my new engine, and haven't checked the oil. I'm taking it in at 1,000 miles for an oil change, which some guys recommend is a good interval with a new engine. Can't wait until I'm done with the break in.

I got my warranty extended for 5 Y / 100k miles too. I told them I was not happy with just the replacement and that I made good money and this was my 1st ownership experience, and I am young and have a whole lifetime to buy Nissan/Infiniti cars. They called back the next day and offered me the warranty, a $1,600 value. Not bad, and the price I got my loaded 2005 G was a steal. It was a PITA, but in the end, maybe worth it? New engine, new car warranty...

So, maybe I will not jump on them for putting another crap engine in my car with the V2, and just wait it out and if I am consuming again, maybe by that time they'll have a V4 or V5!!!! *sarcasm*
Old 12-02-2007, 02:35 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by bremboboy
do they care what type of oil is being used? (for the tsb)
It says... Recommended oil: API SERVICE SL / 5w-30.
Doesn't say Dino or Synth. Hmmm....good.
Originally Posted by pieohpah
I purchased on 06 a few months back used with 8500 miles on it. I have put about 2500 miles on it and it has burned about 2 1/2 quarts of oil, one quart for every thousand miles or so. Do you guys think that is excessive enough for my car to qualify for the TSB and new engine?
TSB is self explanatory on their graph as OK/No Good.
They even have a picture of mm ruler next to dip stick so you can get an idea about what a quart or half quart would equate as in mm's.
Not hard to figure out if you qualify or not
Originally Posted by anate
I got my warranty extended for 5 Y / 100k miles too. I told them I was not happy with just the replacement and that I made good money and this was my 1st ownership experience, and I am young and have a whole lifetime to buy Nissan/Infiniti cars. They called back the next day and offered me the warranty, a $1,600 value. Not bad, and the price I got my loaded 2005 G was a steal. It was a PITA, but in the end, maybe worth it? New engine, new car warranty...
Nice warranty for free...good going. I already have their 7yr/100K.
Maybe I'll ask for that to be extended from date of replacement. About all I could ask for or they do in addition, I suppose or maybe not...idk.

Originally Posted by anate
So, maybe I will not jump on them for putting another crap engine in my car with the V2, and just wait it out and if I am consuming again, maybe by that time they'll have a V4 or V5!!!! *sarcasm*
I could've had a V8...lolz.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Ataru074

I found thist TSB NTB07088 about oil consumption.but actually I haven't access to this stuff....

http://tinyurl.com/2yoayf

Matteo
Old 12-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by 06CPV35

TSB is self explanatory on their graph as OK/No Good.
They even have a picture of mm ruler next to dip stick so you can get an idea about what a quart or half quart would equate as in mm's.
Not hard to figure out if you qualify or not
can you put this picture with the specs somewhere? just to know what they consider as normal and what they consider as unusual.

Matteo
Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone has "read" rights to the Nissan tech site, would you post the complete TSB here please? It would help a ton. I would like to bring a copy of it with me to the dealer on Tuesday (my third and FINAL oil-check trip; I have had enough).
Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 AM
06CPV35

TSB is on the previous page posted by ZeeForce.
Thanks again ZeeForce for posting that up

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=2084
^ pgs 1-5

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=2085
^pgs 6-8

Anyone find the same TSB for us G folks yet?

Last edited by 06CPV35; 12-03-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:20 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pieohpah
Yes, that is excessive. Take it in and get a new engine.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:17 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for linking the TSB screenshot 06CPV35 and thanks also to Zeeforce for posting it. Enormous help. I am taking my Z in tomorrow AM for my final level check which I will do with them. They tried to screw me over last time by saying the level was fine when I went to pick up the car. I pulled out the dipstick which the tech stood by me and sure enough, it was a quart low. Bastards!

This TSB will make getting the correct replacement engine ordered a piece of cake. I will fight for the extended powertrain warranty as well and WILL get it.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
CRXtoZ

Took the Z in to the dealer today for the new engine. She'll be there for couple of days. Everyone at the service desk was SUPER nice to me today. Huh! I wonder why? I guess because I proved them wrong. The service manager was called to talk to me when I brought my car in today. He explain that Nissan had issued a bulletin to all the dealership Friday about the oil consumption issue. He stated that, "If a customer comes in with an oil problem, all I need to do is an oil consumption test. If the vehicle shows that it consuming oil, we order the new engine. No need to file a claim thru Nissan anymore with that bulletin in hand". This is very good new for alot of 06 Z owners.

This is funny because he ask me if I know of anyone else with oil comsumption problems. He want their business cause Nissan is paying the dealership $120/hr to do the work. Two full days of work to replace an engine adds up to easy money for the dealers.

Anyone who want to give this Nissan dealership their business can PM me for more info.

Before I forget. I got a loaner and it's a Versa.

Last edited by CRXtoZ; 12-03-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by usmanasif
This TSB will make getting the correct replacement engine ordered a piece of cake. I will fight for the extended powertrain warranty as well and WILL get it.
got the reading by myself right now... 750miles and 3.5mm
not "enough" but close... I'll make another 600miles trip friday.. I can fill the exact amount and test by myself again...

I'm "short" from my previous reading.. but still insane... my only car consuming more oil than this was an alfa with a 1.5 liter 130hp boxer engine... that one was really bad (1/4 every 6/700 miles)....

good luck you guys for the new engine...
I'll run the test regardelss... just in case.

Matteo
Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
dbasal

Nissan releases TSB NTB07-088: 2005- 2006 350Z: Engine Oil Level Is Low

Released: 11/27/07

Applied Vehicles: 2006 350Z (Z33) with M/T: 2005 350Z (Z33) Track and 35th Anniversary Edition with M/T
THANKS!

Looks to me like Nissan will be replacing a massive amount of engines under those guidelines.

I certainly would not want to be in a service department and see all these Z owners marching towards the door with papers in their hands.

Now we can all talk in mm instead of portions of a quart.

DAMN! I do not have a metric ruler!

Yet another expense.

[EDIT] Then again...... http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir...L/rules_mm.pdf

Last edited by dbasal; 12-03-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by dbasal
Haha...they're disposable too...

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion