MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   What the hell... my engine died? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/241438-what-the-hell-my-engine-died.html)

dingobiatch 01-07-2007 09:41 PM

What the hell... my engine died?

Okay, I don't know where to start. I guess I should first start with the fact that I just got my clutch + flywheel replaced (by the dealership, they are stock), and that was about a week ago. I have about 600-700 miles since then.

Last night, on the way home, my car felt strange. It was as if the engine was shaking or sputtering or something. I couldn't hear it, but I could feel it. But at that point, it wasn't very noticable.

Today, I had to go from Malibu to Santa Barbara (1 hour drive), and about half-way there, the shaking gets absurd. I can hear these very strange sounds coming from my engine.. I would try to describe it a bit, but I don't know how. My rpm's aren't steady at all, at idle it keeps dropping down suddenly and rising back up. If I'm cruising w/o any throttle, it feels like the engine is shaking a bit. If I give any throttle at all, the engine makes horrible sounds, and it's as if the car has a VERY hard time accelerating.

My friend said that from what I described, it might be a cracked flywheel. He said something similar happened (strange sounds, rpm's unsteady, idle rpm's dipping and rising).

Any thoughts? I'm going to take it to the dealership but I wanted to ask here, I'm worried that if a modification caused it, I might be screwed as far as warranty goes. I want to know what people think it is, so I can at least try to defend myself (unless it IS a mod that caused this issue).

Nic@CiNcity 01-07-2007 09:45 PM

Why did you get your clutch and fly replaced in such a new car? The mods you have make me believe it couldn't be caused by anything other than the dealerships work.

dave079 01-07-2007 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Subrwho
Why did you get your clutch and fly replaced in such a new car? The mods you have make me believe it couldn't be caused by anything other than the dealerships work.

+1

bacalhau16 01-07-2007 09:46 PM

Sounds pretty interesting. Cant help you all that much on what it is. Internet diagnosing isnt very easy sometimes, but good luck with dealership. Hopefully its something that they will cover.

Fear's Track 06 01-07-2007 09:46 PM

that sucks bro. good luck with that. have no idea what it is lol.

Mike Wazowski 01-07-2007 09:48 PM

what nissan are you going to/ did the work?

Sean 01-07-2007 09:48 PM

the sound it makes, is it like a bell ringing?

dingobiatch 01-07-2007 09:48 PM

It was my first stick car, I screwed up a lot. ****ing up launching, stalling over and over, grinding, bla bla bla. It was my fault (the clutch and flywheel). But as far as this current problem, I have NO idea what caused it.

Sean 01-07-2007 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by sean1967
the sound it makes, is it like a bell ringing?

Nic@CiNcity 01-07-2007 09:51 PM

So did warranty cover your clutch and fly, or did you pay out of pocket to get another stock set put back in? Cause you're on drugs if you paid for that. Again, i say your problem is with the work done, not your mods.

dingobiatch 01-07-2007 11:28 PM

I did pay for the clutch and fly.. but I en't on drugs. I was at 15k miles, it was my fault that my clutch was done for.
And I guess I'll just take the car into the dealership and pray that they will cover whatever the hell is going on.

Nismo 350z 01-08-2007 10:40 AM

Sounds like your new flywheel. Replace both clutch/flywheel with an upgraded one(like JWT). Take your care to performance nissan and have jason take a look at it. Its not that far from malibu... about 35min drive w/out traffic. They will take care of u.

Nic@CiNcity 01-08-2007 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
I did pay for the clutch and fly.. but I en't on drugs. I was at 15k miles, it was my fault that my clutch was done for.
And I guess I'll just take the car into the dealership and pray that they will cover whatever the hell is going on.

What i meant by that was that you could have upgraded for less money.

jpc350z 01-08-2007 11:13 AM

Possibly a bad crank sensor located on the flywheel..?

light 01-08-2007 11:25 AM

it might be the TB sesor..

Wired 24/7 01-08-2007 11:44 AM

Definitely sounds like a botched installation of the clutch/FW to me.

jtabraham 01-08-2007 11:59 AM

Based on your symptoms, I would think it could be either a damaged flywheel, a malfunctions Crank Position Sensor (which reads off the flywheel), or your flywheel may now be mis-aligned.

The flywheel and clutch were replaced on my car as well the day before I bought it. When i left from the dealer, my Check Engine light came on, and the car felt really bogged down, and was running super rich.

Next the dealer replaced a couple intake solenoid valves which did nothing, dropped the tranny and found the flywheel was SLIGHTLY mis-aligned.

Eazzy 01-08-2007 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jpc350z
Possibly a bad crank sensor located on the flywheel..?

On a tranny drop, the CS is taken out ---Go there first and make sure its seated good and/or the idiots didnt damage it :icon22:

dingobiatch 01-08-2007 07:22 PM

Dropped my car off at the dealership. Apparently my oil is extremely low, and the service guy I talked to said that the pistons could be ****ed cause of low oil (he showed me 'metal flakes' in the oil). I don't get how the hell my oil is low, I got it changed last week when I got it serviced.

MasterRacer 01-09-2007 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
Dropped my car off at the dealership. Apparently my oil is extremely low, and the service guy I talked to said that the pistons could be ****ed cause of low oil (he showed me 'metal flakes' in the oil). I don't get how the hell my oil is low, I got it changed last week when I got it serviced.

DAAAAAAAAAMN well i guess you haven't read the threads on low oil consumption and the 06 Z's.
Are you sure they changed the oil????? If its been a weak and you dont drive that much it should still
look pretty clean.