MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   weight reduction (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/24340-weight-reduction.html)

AAAA 03-30-2003 06:22 PM

weight reduction

this cars a bit heavy, if it was a little lighter, it be unstoppable! anyway, what can be done weight reduction wise? carbon fiber replacements and what not....

ares 03-30-2003 06:48 PM

the hatch is heavy, plexiglass window would be good, and carbon fiber hatch, quarter panels, remove interior bits... insulation too.

carbon fiber hood wouldnt be great since its already aluminum.

DLin05 03-30-2003 07:52 PM

has anyone done any of those things you mentioned ares? makin the car lighter would be great, btw...would the plexiglass window in the back rid the car of rear defroster? just a thought...thanks in advance

Rob Nance 03-30-2003 08:11 PM

Originally posted by DLin05
has anyone done any of those things you mentioned ares? makin the car lighter would be great, btw...would the plexiglass window in the back rid the car of rear defroster? just a thought...thanks in advance
Yes, it would. The rear defroster is built into the window.

Yeah, cutting the weight down would be great. I mean since we're dreaming, carbon fiber doors would be great also. Mainly rear hatch, rear window, and doors, and of course spare tire and tools removal. Hood is way light already, would be pointless. Wheels are another place. If you have the 17" or 18" touring/performance wheels, going to some aftermarket Volk's would help quite a bit, and improve your unsprung weight which helps even more in performance.

DarkTalon 03-31-2003 03:49 AM

Besides the lighter wheels you can also look for titanium exhaust systems.

The stock system weights about 38lbs, where a Ti exhaust runs about 12lbs.

This is a great weight reduction but it comes with a expensive price tag.

ares 03-31-2003 06:05 AM

yeah none of the stuff I mentioned even exists as of yet. but its something to look for in the future, defroster would be lost, no way around that.

untill I can get more power in the car, Im gonna leave it with its little creature comforts... as for right now, I could ony see maybe losing 1-200lbs altogether without tearing the interior out and what not, so while thatd be a nice loss, the rest of my car aleast is not up to a performance status that it would be worthwhile driving around sans interior. not to mention all that stuff would be pretty expensive.

one day....

350zhawaii 03-31-2003 06:41 AM

great way to reduce down weight for our Z.
1) do about 1000 jumping jacks when you first wakeup
2) do about 500 situps about an hour or so after lunch
3) do about 500 pushups about an hour or so after dinner
4) and go on a very strict diet

With this plan, i know we all can lost some 50lbs or so...yeah, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, ok that's enough for me today!

zxsaint 03-31-2003 11:22 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned seats... I'm guessing some racing seats would cut some serious weight off. Anyone know how much the stock ones weigh?

jran76 03-31-2003 02:31 PM

36-38 lbs.

Sparco's with rails, mounts and sliders come in around 30-32 lbs for Torino's (or close to it).

BurnOutz 03-31-2003 07:51 PM

Originally posted by 350zhawaii
great way to reduce down weight for our Z.
1) do about 1000 jumping jacks when you first wakeup
2) do about 500 situps about an hour or so after lunch
3) do about 500 pushups about an hour or so after dinner
4) and go on a very strict diet

With this plan, i know we all can lost some 50lbs or so...yeah, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, ok that's enough for me today!

:icon18: :icon18: :icon18: Hehehehe. With that exercise routine, you're gonna be throwing up a hell of a lot. Here is a better way to lose weight and save some money. Don't drive to work, run to work everyday.

See, not only will your Z be lighter and faster, but your own 1/4 mile times will drop as well!!!!!