Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Finding the love...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM
stormcrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Finding the love...

it's been a bit over three months since my motor build and completion of the Z and i'm starting to find myself losing interest in the car... don't get me wrong, i love everything about her, it's just that i feel like i'm more in love with the build process than the finished product... it's odd because i rarely drive her and yet i feel i'm getting used to the power...even the race fuel map... this being said, i'm on the fence about selling her...

has this happened to anyone else when going FI? do you find yourselves in love with the build process more than the aftermath? do you find yourselves losing interest in your car if you're not continually modding her?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Tubbs

It sounds to me that you'll never really be happy in life. Time to give up compadre.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:48 PM
IslandZavage

With that being said i hope i get to your level..lol..j/k... My Z is no longer my DD and i love when i do drive it. I find myself always comparing my new DD to my Z (no comparison). I still have a ways to go when modding mine (suspension, Built motor, etc...) especially now its no longer my DD im thinking to push the limits more.. But i can almost gurantee that you will miss your Z if you sell it.. Do you track/drag it? Maybe you should look into doing other thing asides from just the street driving. I know i went to the track not to long ago and it renewed my addiction even stronger and changed/added to my plans/mods for rhe future..

**If all else fails send me your car, and i'll take the burden on being bored with it..lol..**
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Fingers

I know we don't know each other but I am going to be a true freind and offer to trade cars with you so that you can find that love again, or you can just borrow my 06 and mod, then return, and start all over again with another freinds car.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
fast kiwi

just end it now for your self.. its all down hill from here..
I guess i get what your saying but i remember doing a build on my old 300ZX witch took the better part of a year to complete and when done was putting down just a tad over 600hp.. and i couldnt get enough.. i miss her so much..
if i couldv brought her to the u.s.a with me i would have.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
With that being said i hope i get to your level..lol..j/k... My Z is no longer my DD and i love when i do drive it. I find myself always comparing my new DD to my Z (no comparison). I still have a ways to go when modding mine (suspension, Built motor, etc...) especially now its no longer my DD im thinking to push the limits more.. But i can almost gurantee that you will miss your Z if you sell it.. Do you track/drag it? Maybe you should look into doing other thing asides from just the street driving. I know i went to the track not to long ago and it renewed my addiction even stronger and changed/added to my plans/mods for rhe future..

**If all else fails send me your car, and i'll take the burden on being bored with it..lol..**
the tracking of the car is a good idea...and has crossed my mind on many an occassion... the only problem with this is that you take a reliable street car and turn it into a not-so-reliable drag/track car where a lot of things can break..and will... my thought process was to build a true drag car instead of a show/street demon... i was thinking viper twin turbo with minimum of around 1100rwhp... as this would be a track car only, i could feel a bit better about things breaking... my Z is just to pristine to go beating her up on the track...
Old 07-23-2007, 01:20 PM
IslandZavage

I think a 1100hp Viper will have its own set of problems of things breaking..lol.. But at least you have a Z ready to start with.. Y not go for the 1100hp Z? I figure it would cost you alot less/keep you busy with modding and planning..

DO IT!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:32 PM
stormcrow

I think a 1100hp Viper will have its own set of problems of things breaking..lol.. But at least you have a Z ready to start with.. Y not go for the 1100hp Z? I figure it would cost you alot less/keep you busy with modding and planning..

DO IT!!!

i count on the viper breaking at times...not too much worried about that... parts are actually a bit cheaper... and an 1100hp viper is actually a mild build with low-moderate boost...so, it will definitely be more reliable than an 1100hp Z! *haha* also, learning a whole new car, motor, etc. will be more challenging than just going bigger with my current Z... and as i said, my Z is in pristine shape and it would be a shame to mess it up on the track... the paint job on it is brand new and completely colour-sanded... it's like glass... wouldn't want to see that chipped up...
Old 07-23-2007, 01:39 PM
IslandZavage

I bet you also wouldnt want to see it driving off with a new owner..lol...
Old 07-23-2007, 01:57 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do any of the work yourself, or just drop it off and pay someone to do everything? If it's the latter, sounds like you just like spending money.

Wish I could say I feel sorry for you, but I don't. I'd love to have your setup.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Did you do any of the work yourself, or just drop it off and pay someone to do everything? If it's the latter, sounds like you just like spending money.

Wish I could say I feel sorry for you, but I don't. I'd love to have your setup.
some work i've done myself...some of the interior painting, etc... but, the majority of the work was done at FP... that said, it's not that i like spending money, it's that i like have a "project" to work on... i guess it's watching the progress that is most intriguing to me...

and this isn't a "woe is me" post... this post is soley to find out if others feel the same about their cars... if they, too, lose the lustre once the project is complete...

btw, if you'd love to have my setup...you can as it's going up for sale...
Old 07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by stormcrow
I wish I could take you up on your offer

But unfortunately, a used single turbo on a stock block is all I see in my near FI future, lol.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 PM
IslandZavage

Goodluck with your next project... I dont think mine will ever be done, im always wanting to add more..lol..

I remember when i 1st got the car.. " All i want is a Z, thats it.. I promise hunny..no rims, or upgrades.. Just the Z and i'll be happy"...lol..lol..

Last edited by IslandZavage; 07-23-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 PM
go-fast
Banned

i never sold a built car for money,it was always to make room for the next project and i miss them all.i dream of an old barn to line them up in and rotate the stock as i like.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
overZealous1

it's been a bit over three months since my motor build and completion of the Z and i'm starting to find myself losing interest in the car... don't get me wrong, i love everything about her, it's just that i feel like i'm more in love with the build process than the finished product... it's odd because i rarely drive her and yet i feel i'm getting used to the power...even the race fuel map... this being said, i'm on the fence about selling her...

has this happened to anyone else when going FI? do you find yourselves in love with the build process more than the aftermath? do you find yourselves losing interest in your car if you're not continually modding her?
hahhaa, i posted in a thread once pretty much saying the same thing about myself. i love to drive the car, but building it is a relaxation (at the same time being stressful) for me and a good bunch of daydream time to get my mind off other things.
i pulled my motor out for the second rebuild a little over a month ago and was looking at my car. i had a couple door dings in it, and decided i had to do something about it. i grabbed a handful of 220grit paper and drug it down the side of the car, hahha, to make it so i had to repaint. luckily, i can perform all the work myself. now, a new hood, wing, front spoiler, and i'm sure more things are going on it with one of the most show stopping paint jobs i could concieve. should be done in about a month, then i will be unhappy and have to drive it around again,
i have been known to finish a car, or get super close to completion, and just start another project. don't have the heart to sell them, so they just sit while i work on the next one. i have a show worthy vette that has buckets of money into it, over 1500 of my hours into it, and i only drove it 50 miles once i finished it and that was 6 years ago. it has sat outside for 6 months now because of other projects in my shop, lol.

Last edited by overZealous1; 07-23-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Cannysage

I've lost my love after spending bucket loads of money on it, and have it at the shop much more than the time I've driven it. I've spent 12k on the engine AFTER the engine rebuild and TT.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 AM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet you also wouldnt want to see it driving off with a new owner..lol...
I reckon you're right!!

Stormcrow, I think IslandZavage makes a good point in a previous post. Take your car to the track, get a bit of blood pumping. Yes you do run the risk of breaking things at the track, but that's racing. If it's not a daily driver, it's not such an issue surely??

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:39 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I LOVE the planning/researching/building process of a car. That being said I have TONS of things to do to the car still and have a $Hit eating grin from ear to ear everytime I drive it, and I drive at low boost 99% of the time.

I think you should track your car, your lying to yourself if you think you will track a 1000+whp Viper but not a 600 hp Z. Get out on the track, and put yourself to the test. When you appreciate it what it feel like to improve your time by .1 of a second you will have a new found respect for your car, and know what it really feels like to control the power from a dig not just fro ma 3rd gear roll on the street. I try to track my car at least 1X a year now (my chances of breaking are much higher than before the build), the rush I get is not comparable to anything I have done. Good luck in whatever you decide to do...
Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by overZealous1
hahhaa, i posted in a thread once pretty much saying the same thing about myself. i love to drive the car, but building it is a relaxation (at the same time being stressful) for me and a good bunch of daydream time to get my mind off other things.
i pulled my motor out for the second rebuild a little over a month ago and was looking at my car. i had a couple door dings in it, and decided i had to do something about it. i grabbed a handful of 220grit paper and drug it down the side of the car, hahha, to make it so i had to repaint. luckily, i can perform all the work myself. now, a new hood, wing, front spoiler, and i'm sure more things are going on it with one of the most show stopping paint jobs i could concieve. should be done in about a month, then i will be unhappy and have to drive it around again,
i have been known to finish a car, or get super close to completion, and just start another project. don't have the heart to sell them, so they just sit while i work on the next one. i have a show worthy vette that has buckets of money into it, over 1500 of my hours into it, and i only drove it 50 miles once i finished it and that was 6 years ago. it has sat outside for 6 months now because of other projects in my shop, lol.
exactly the way i feel... when the project is over, the fun is over because the thought process has completely ended... granted, i could always continue to mod, but it would be smaller things that require no significant thought or planning...

*sighs* maybe i should rent a place somewhere, convert it into a shop, and just tinker on the weekends... *haha*
Old 07-24-2007, 05:39 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by Cannysage
I've lost my love after spending bucket loads of money on it, and have it at the shop much more than the time I've driven it. I've spent 12k on the engine AFTER the engine rebuild and TT.
sounds like we're twins in this arena... i get antsy when i'm not having work done on the car... it's like i get shop withdrawals... *haha*

Quick Reply: Finding the love...