MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   350z gear box? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/288992-350z-gear-box.html)

kihun 07-24-2007 06:32 AM

350z gear box?

I just got a Z last night and the gear box is so stiff and hard to get into the gears.. I had hondas before and I miss the honda gear.. Does anybody feel this way or is my car just need some tranny fluid done?

Escobar 07-24-2007 06:40 AM

is it an 07'? take it to the dealer

halfass872 07-24-2007 06:48 AM

Honda is not a Z. Honda is not a sports car. It is a stiff because it's a real sports car. And the shifter goes directly to the tranny, not through rubber bushings, and cables that absorb the vibration and stiffness. Stiff is good. You either need to learn to live with, and appreciate the tight exact shifting. Or trade the Z in and get yoru Honda back.

Ztalker 07-24-2007 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by halfass872
Honda is not a Z. Honda is not a sports car. It is a stiff because it's a real sports car. And the shifter goes directly to the tranny, not through rubber bushings, and cables that absorb the vibration and stiffness. Stiff is good. You either need to learn to live with, and appreciate the tight exact shifting. Or trade the Z in and get yoru Honda back.

amen.

simonfencer 07-24-2007 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by halfass872

Cables and rubber bushings might absorb some vibration, but stiffness is another issue.

I would second the suggest of taking it in for a look at the dealership (or your chosen mechanic). It might not be anything serious, but if it is a matter of bits of metal floating around in the oil it could get serious (and expensive) in a hurry.

HondaKiller 07-24-2007 08:51 AM

i say it's a case of a real car and a tonka toy. Welcome to the world of a real sports car. Stiffness in gear shifting compared to your honda is normal. Honda's shift like butter, but only shifting 140hp from gear to gear. You'll get used to it, hop in any real sports car and it will feel much stiffer than your honda. Congrads on your new Z, you'll learn to love it.

kihun 07-24-2007 01:40 PM

Thanks... I'm not talking about honda civics fellas.. Honda s2000 is consider as sports car too.. however, I think I can get used to the gear stiffness.. love the Z so far.. take care

Tac-M 07-24-2007 02:06 PM

Welcome to the z forums :) I’ve been here for years and almost never post, bc this is typically what happens ...... use the search feature and you will find more stuff about your car than you want to now !

Oh yea, almost forgot…. never say hunda here !