MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   How long does it take to glaze a new clutch/fly? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/317987-how-long-does-it-take-to-glaze-a-new-clutch-fly.html)

frizille 11-28-2007 04:20 PM

How long does it take to glaze a new clutch/fly?

Just had my tranny swapped by Nissan (under warranty) and had a clutchmasters 6puck installed with the lightweight fly yesterday. I put about 30 miles on it yesterday with some daily driving and another 30 today going into work. On the way home tonight I got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the expressway for over an hour. The feel of the clutch/fly/tranny is completely different and haven't come close to "getting the feel" so was pretty brutal on it inching forward (although I only stalled once - I felt like such a noob). So the question is how much abuse will a new clutch/fly take before it glazes up as I'm still in the breakin period?

Thanks,

friz

Z1 Performance 11-28-2007 04:29 PM

500 miles of stop and go (highway does not count), local driving, no launches, no wide open throttle is proper break in

and you are breaking the clutch in so it DOESN'T get glazed BTW - glazed is not good ;)

frizille 11-28-2007 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
500 miles of stop and go (highway does not count), local driving, no launches, no wide open throttle is proper break in

and you are breaking the clutch in so it DOESN'T get glazed BTW - glazed is not good ;)

I've been taking back roads to/from work yesterday and today but have about a 4 mile stint on the expressway each way and thats where I got stuck tonight. I've been laying off the throttle, no launches. Yep glaze is bad - was worried after being stuck in traffic for so long tonight that I had really F-ed up the fly/clutch breakin and royally screwed myself. I'm switching my schedule around for the next week or two with work so I can avoid the traffic but Atlanta is a crap shoot for traffic regardless of the time and not sure how much that is going to buy me.

Am I probably ok or am I FUBAR?

Z1 Performance 11-28-2007 04:43 PM

nope you're good - in heavy traffic its totally possible to have the clutch get very light and awkward - stainless clutch line helps that alot, as does a bleed to non OE fluid (Motul, ATE, etc)

frizille 11-28-2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
nope you're good - in heavy traffic its totally possible to have the clutch get very light and awkward - stainless clutch line helps that alot, as does a bleed to non OE fluid (Motul, ATE, etc)

Cool deal - Stainless line and Motul RBF 600 was put in when they did the swap. Thanks for the reply!

friz

Sharif@Forged 11-29-2007 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by frizille
Cool deal - Stainless line and Motul RBF 600 was put in when they did the swap. Thanks for the reply!

friz

Who is this local person named "friz" that I know nothing about. :)