Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Opening spark plug gap to .049 improves power... it is very noticeable.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:10 PM
AREITU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grounding mod isn't going to do much if your car is properly ground to begin with. ihatebobbarker noticed some subtle differences with his car after he put his HKS Circle Earth in. Smoother cold idle, no idle "hunting," but not much other than that. My friend's B18 Civic responded enthusiastically to a $50 home-made ground kit.

Well, we'll wait for the long term results and see what happens. If the car, at the very least, drives better, and the re-gapping dosen't cost tha tmuch to do in the first place, then why not do it? For the sake of drivability! 'sides, unless his engine blows from a lean condition or something directly related to the plugs, it won't hurt to try it out too.

If I had a 350Z/G35C and I knew how to gap plugs, I'd do it too.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:50 PM
FiddlerG35c

I installed a grounding kit a few days ago, and personally I didnt feel any difference at idle ... HOWEVER ... once I hit some slow traffic i noticed a huge improvement in low RPM response. The quirks and jerks of low gear low rpm (think 2nd gear @ 400-800 rpm) are gone completely. even creeping in 1st gear w/o throttle no longer has any inconsistency to it. once I noticed it (and believe me it wasn't just in my head), it put a huge smile on my face that still appears every time i am in slow moving traffic.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:21 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Wow......all this anger and emotion over a *free* mod.......seems kinda silly
Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
12SecZ

I hate the Internet. I wish we could all talk but then we would all interrupt each other all the time...

LOL,

I think on that note I'm signing off in a good mood, had a good deep belly laugh lol.

I'm not trying to get up your ***
Man lets hope not were not talking bout them types of plugs!

You ain't from around here are you? LOL

I need sleep. For real this time, back to work manana

Gap away mangs. Post how it turns out. Who am I to question a mod. My engine bay looks like a 55 chevy now!

Old 07-03-2003, 04:39 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by syf0n
I'm not trying to get up your ***, but it isn't a question without a question mark. And there is no question mark.
Sorry! Not too friendly these days huh? It's ok, I ordered a GK.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:45 PM
rocknrice

Hey, I just did a mod and it got me 200whp!!!

Listen closely...open the passenger seat cupholder and keep it out as you let out the clutch. You will feel 200whp! I guarohntee

I'm just jokin,

But seriously, kgb, what OEM manufacturer are you referring to? I didn't see which mfg you bought from. Also, can you pick them up at the local car parts store? Lastly, how do you adjust the gap to the .049 setting you suggested? What units are you using, inches? (I'm not to savvy on sparkplugs)

I wil validate kgb's findings by volunteering to also do this tune. Keep posted for further updates, same bat channel.

Thank you, thank you very much

Last edited by rocknrice; 09-27-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Mean Gene

Thumbs up TorqueMaster Plugs

I don't know if anyone on this site has used these plugs but I have in my GS400 science project & intend to in my G35. And yes - I HAVE DYNO SHEETS!!!!
If this link works, enjoy the data!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1
Old 09-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Regarding spark plug gap, we only make two sizes. Our standard size, which has an equivalent gap of about .120" and the "S" plug, which has an equivalent gap of about .090". The standard plug requires between 21,000 to 25,000 volts to fire under full pressure. Our "S" plugs require between 16,000 to 18,000 volts to fire under full pressure. The "S" plugs are designed for high compression racing applications, turbocharged, supercharged, NOS, etc. The gap on a Torque Master spark plug cannot be changed as it is an integral part of the overall design.
So what kinda TM plugs would us G/Z'ers be getting from these guys? The standard or "S" type? Right now I'm thinking, 10.3:1, so maybe S type?
Old 09-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Mean Gene

Thumbs up Call 'Em!

Juztin - They recommended their "S" ( Star ) model for all the GS400's on my old site. I recall that it's an improved version of the standard but U should call them & ask their recommendation. Just don't be sticker shocked - my Lexus plugs were $14.95/each BUT they are considered true 100k mile+ plugs. I'll letcha know in another 50k miles!!
Old 09-28-2003, 03:46 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Koo,

That aint too expensive if the plugs actually last 100k miles . Did you notice a "feelabe" improvement in yoru lex w/ the plugs? If I can find some time & $$ I will pick up a set and dyno to see if they do what their claims advertise

--Justin
Old 09-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Mean Gene

Thumbs up Yep!

Justin - Yes, the idle smoothed out somewhat ( not that it was obtrusive to begin with ). If the CL link allows U to view all 5 pages of that thread, U'll notice that almost everyone who uses the TM plugs mentioned the smoother idle. The most noticeable gain was in throttle response. I had driven other drive-by-wire cars before & felt like the Lexus wasn't up to par in responsiveness when compared to the others. Granted, the GS4 was designed more for luxury than raw performance but if Lexus was trying to compete with BMW for the sport/sedan market then I felt the drivetrain could be improved. I also intend to upgrade to the TM's eventually but I'l probably finished modding my G35 first as my final goal is either the Procharger or nitrous. The TM's are one of those few mods ( like an exhaust ) that aid in both performance & economy. Keep us posted when/if U convert to the TM plugs & enjoy them!!
Old 09-28-2003, 05:28 PM
kgb

Originally posted by rocknrice
Hey, I just did a mod and it got me 200whp!!!

Listen closely...open the passenger seat cupholder and keep it out as you let out the clutch. You will feel 200whp! I guarohntee

I'm just jokin,

But seriously, kgb, what OEM manufacturer are you referring to? I didn't see which mfg you bought from. Also, can you pick them up at the local car parts store? Lastly, how do you adjust the gap to the .049 setting you suggested? What units are you using, inches? (I'm not to savvy on sparkplugs)

I wil validate kgb's findings by volunteering to also do this tune. Keep posted for further updates, same bat channel.

Thank you, thank you very much
Nissan's stock plugs for the 350Z are made by Denso and they come pre-gapped at .043 inches I believe. You can buy them from the dealer.
I gapped my plugs using a feeler gauge; you have to pry the side electrode open to your needs. If you over do it, be very careful not to damage the center electrode while adjusting down. I very carefully used a hammer with the feel gauge inserted between the center and side electrodes while adjusting the gaps down. TAP THE CENTER ELECTRODE VERY LIGHTLY when doing this.

For what it's worth:

Several weeks ago, I reinstalled my original plugs back in my car; I was trying to determine why my Z's performance decreased shortly after the Borla muffler was installed. The Borla gave great seat-of-the-pants gains initially. I gapped the plugs to .040 to eliminate the larger gap as being the problem. Well this basically did nothing to restore performance.
However, I did determine the cause of the problem and addressed it. I will comment about it in another thread next week. I want to be certain the problem's cured.

So with the get-up-and-go restored, I was able to evaluate the performance differences between the two gap settings (.040 & .049 in). It seems that after 5500 rpm the engine power more noticeably falls off with the .040 gap setting; I found this noticeably in second gear, and even more noticeable in third gear.

I installed new NGK copper plugs a week later, gapped them at .048, and let the 350 adjust to them. And you know what? The Z runs better with the larger gap setting. How I would describe it is, there's a more even flow of power between the midrange and the top end. My car pulls stronger to the redline; I'm certain about that.

With the larger gap, if anything, you should notice that the top end doesn't fall off as rapidly.

One other note:
I found three of the original stock plugs gapped at .040inches while the other three were .044. Inconsistently gapped plugs hurts perfomance and increases vibration.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Blownaway

KGB, Thanks for a truly good post and for going out on a limb....you handled yourself wisely.

I have a question. I have Denso Iridiums (sp?) comming and will be installing them shortly. I also will be installing the GK as well. Getting back to my question. Do you think this gap will be a bad thing to try with Nitrous? Appreciate any and all feedback.

PLaese keep in mind that I am new to this type of tuning...The Japanese kind that is
Old 09-28-2003, 07:48 PM
kgb

Originally posted by Blownaway
KGB, Thanks for a truly good post and for going out on a limb....you handled yourself wisely.

I have a question. I have Denso Iridiums (sp?) comming and will be installing them shortly. I also will be installing the GK as well. Getting back to my question. Do you think this gap will be a bad thing to try with Nitrous? Appreciate any and all feedback.

PLaese keep in mind that I am new to this type of tuning...The Japanese kind that is
For nitrous or forced induction applications I believe it's recommended that you DO NOT open the sparkplug gaps. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Blownaway

tak
Old 09-14-2018, 04:01 AM
@banggang850

Last edited by @banggang850; 09-14-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Originally Posted by @banggang850
you must have realized you responded to a 15 year dead thread
Old 09-14-2018, 04:52 AM
@banggang850

Originally Posted by travlee
you must have realized you responded to a 15 year dead thread

yep lol. Yo grab hit me up on instagram if that’s your z in the profile pic I’ve got some questions. My ig name is my username @banggang850 and Facebook is Austin Mercer
Old 09-14-2018, 04:56 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

the corvette or the nissan? the nissan has been gone for almost 4 years now. not on any of those websites, sorry. if you have questions, start a thread and be detailed with what you are needing, what you have already done, history of the car, and prepare to be thick skinned
Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by @banggang850

yep lol. Yo grab hit me up on instagram if that’s your z in the profile pic I’ve got some questions. My ig name is my username @banggang850 and Facebook is Austin Mercer
Hey, Trav. I'd like you to do unnecessary work to help me out. First call my automated line at 1800-555-555 there you will hear a message which includes my e-mail(I hope you know Italian) . . .well the e-mail of my secretary(She only speaks Mandarin). Give her a call to set-up a meeting for the two of use to speak. . .oh and I'm only available from 2am-2:45am in whatever time zone you are located in.
The following users liked this post:
travlee (09-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Opening spark plug gap to .049 improves power... it is very noticeable.