Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Review of SouthBend dxd clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Mad A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of SouthBend dxd clutch

Over the weekend I installed the Southbend DxD OFE stage 4 clutch kit with the oem flywheel to avoid chatter and driveability degradation associated with lightweight flywheels. I bought the clutch kit from Spddracer, who was great to deal with and fast with the shipping!

The kit was installed on a 2004 JWT TT g35 coupe. I will be updating this thread with my impressions of the clutch, and how well it holds up, as the only other reviews of this clutch I managed to find were for NA cars. Currently I'm still taking it easy while the clutch breaks in.

My first impression is damn, this thing grabs hard! The car was jumping in first gear like I was new to manual trannys, lol. The engagement point is very low, just how I like it, and it grabs really hard. Other gears grab quick and hard, but are very manageable, so it's only first gear that I need to get used to. It's supposed to get a bit smoother as the clutch breaks in.

Clutch effort is supposed to be 50% more than stock, but honestly it doesn't feel like its much harder than stock, more like 20%. I don't know about the Z's but the 03 and 04 G's are known for having heavy clutch pedals in stock form, so this is very comparable.

So far I am very happy with the clutch. I'll write back with updates on how it feels after it breaks in, and more importantly, if it can handle the power!

Last edited by Mad A; 04-28-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My review would be almost exactly the same as yours. I am running the St 5 FE.

It does grab hard. I mean HARD! It really surprised me the first time I drove the car (yesterday).

Pedal effort to me seems the same as stock. Although it has been over 4 months since I drove the car with the stock clutch, so maybe I forgot what it was really like. I have an '03 and it did have a fairly heavy clutch.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Spddracer

Originally Posted by Mad A
Over the weekend I installed the Southbend DxD OFE stage 4 clutch kit with the oem flywheel to avoid chatter and driveability degradation associated with lightweight flywheels. I bought the clutch kit from Spddracer, who was great to deal with and fast with the shipping!

The kit was installed on a 2004 JWT TT g35 coupe. I will be updating this thread with my impressions of the clutch, and how well it holds up, as the only other reviews of this clutch I managed to find were for NA cars. Currently I'm still taking it easy while the clutch breaks in.

My first impression is damn, this thing grabs hard! The car was jumping in first gear like I was new to manual trannys, lol. The engagement point is very low, just how I like it, and it grabs really hard. Other gears grab quick and hard, but are very manageable, so it's only first gear that I need to get used to. It's supposed to get a bit smoother as the clutch breaks in.

Clutch effort is supposed to be 50% more than stock, but honestly it doesn't feel like its much harder than stock, more like 20%. I don't know about the Z's but the 03 and 04 G's are known for having heavy clutch pedals in stock form, so this is very comparable.

So far I am very happy with the clutch. I'll write back with updates on how it feels after it breaks in, and more importantly, if it can handle the power!

Glad the clutch is working out good for you. It will smooth out more as it breaks in. Feramic is pretty aggressive a first They tend to take around 1000 miles to completely break in depending on how they are driven. You should notice it getting smoother just about every time you drive it.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Mad A

Update: I have about 350 to 400 miles on the clutch, and it is so much smoother now. As spddracer said, it really did get smoother the more I drove the car. Back and forth from work 30 miles each way 5 days a week, plus a few trips, and I now feel like it's fully broken in