Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch pedal not returning to normal rest position

Old 05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Bananas!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal not returning to normal rest position

I have an 04 Roadster. I've read on this forum that people other than myself have experienced the problem of the clutch pedal not returning to the rest position. Some people have had the pedal stay all the way to the bottom of travel and stay there.
Mine will on occasion return only half way.
Does anybody here understand the mechanics as to what causes this? Oh, by the way, the clutch and tranny have less three thousand miles on them (replaced by Nissan).

Bananas!

Found this post a couple of posts up from here. This seems to make the most sense.

>>Otherwise the pedal is fine most of the time? Search on Clutch Slave Cylinder. Happens intermittently usually after hard use, then may fail completely, the pedal just sits on the floor.

Usually clutch slave failing, it happened to me when the slave was hot then went away, later completely failed. On the '03 and possibly '04 the slave is external on the trans case and was later moved inside the trans. Outside it sits right next to a Cat, the line to it is poorly shielded, and extended heat can make it "fail" temporarily.

Outside replacement is cheap, inside pretty sure the trans has to be pulled. There were significant trans changes around the fork and slave sometime after 2004 MY. On the 2003-2004 MY at least, it's inexpensive to replace (part is <$30 OEM), on later MY, I have no idea.

Pics of what this looks like here.

When mine failed the seals went and I found this, what a bummer. I replaced it myself, the only hassle is getting all the air out of the line.<<

Next question is where does one find stainless clutch lines?

Bananas!

Last edited by Bananas!; 05-17-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Sick Z

Do you have an 07? If so, take it to the dealership for the slave cylinder recall.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Sometimes it's just an adjustment. I take this to a whole other level. I readjust my clutch for better travel and engagement. Then use a helper spring just to make sure the pedal return to the top.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 05-14-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

This is the third thread on this today alone... No wonder it's so hard to find anything by searching...
Old 05-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Blu Hvn

Maybe this will help.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/364
Old 05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
wilson7136

My 2005 had the same issue, mostly during hot weather and stop and go traffic. I replaced the clutch fluid hose with a braided metal type and had no more issues.

Wilson
Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by wilson7136
My 2005 had the same issue, mostly during hot weather and stop and go traffic. I replaced the clutch fluid hose with a braided metal type and had no more issues.

Wilson
Hum, that would be nice upgrade for all of us. Cheap but, an improvement.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

w/ upgrade clutch/flywheel, and more importantly ss clutch line (preferably w/ heat shielding especially if you have headers) and motul rbf600, everything runs great under hard use; never did the clutch mechanism act weird, even after several, several hard launches, slipping the clutch, etc )

...But, when my car is relatively cold, the clutch pedal often does not come back all the way up, and I have the pull it up with my foot, then goes away after a few minutes of driving. Me thinks it has to do with the clutch fluid not being up to normal operating temp's, but dunno fersure.

Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by jonnylaw; 05-15-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
w/ upgrade clutch/flywheel, and more importantly ss clutch line (preferably w/ heat shielding especially if you have headers) and motul rbf600, everything runs great under hard use; never did the clutch mechanism act weird, even after several, several hard launches, slipping the clutch, etc )

...But, when my car is relatively cold, the clutch pedal often does not come back all the way up, and I have the pull it up with my foot, then goes away after a few minutes of driving. Me thinks it has to do with the clutch fluid not being up to normal operating temp's, but dunno fersure.

Anyone else have this problem?
It's the clutch adjustment I think. I ran into the same thing. You can offset like I did with a second spring if you like the engagement height and your not running on the throwout bearing when the clutch is in the fully released position. Otherwise, you might not be disenaging completely. There is a lot of room for adjustment on the stock clutch. Not so sure about that aftermarket one you have.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:56 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^hmm, I'm running a OS Giken STR integrated twin clutch and flywheel, nismo ss clutch line, and one of the those D-wolf kits (stoppers). It only occasionally happens after I warm up my car and reverse out of the driveway. It's never done it once the car has warmed up and under hard use.??