MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Blew Fusible Link? i think.. (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/488833-blew-fusible-link-i-think.html)

whitelightnin 05-31-2010 12:36 PM

Blew Fusible Link? i think..

So my boy and I installed some new rotors/pads. We had the neg side of the battery disconnected to stop the alarm from repeatedly going off.

Well, when everything was on and he went to connect the battery back up he accidentilly touched the end of the ratchet to the positive side of the battery. It appears that the fuse (Fusible Link?) is blown right there at the positive side of the battery. It is the fuse that is under the clear plastic (has 120A under it ) that can be easily see right there connected to the battery. I'm calling the dealership tomorrow to see if they have it in stock. Is this part called the "fusible Link" ? Im not sure as i've never had this issue before.

Any idea on the cost?

also...is this the only part/fuse i should be worried about? i'd assume once this fuse blew it should have protected everything else in line after that?....

thanks for the input

350junkie 05-31-2010 02:59 PM

If it's blown then nothing else down the line would of blown. I wouldn't be looking to the dealership for one since they're gonna want too much. Take it out and head to a parts house, could probably get one for around 2$

DavesZ#3 05-31-2010 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by whitelightnin (Post 8422995)
So my boy and I installed some new rotors/pads. We had the neg side of the battery disconnected to stop the alarm from repeatedly going off.

Hmmm... I've changed pads a dozen times, rotors three times, calipers once and have never had the alarm go off. It one of the few things you can work on the Z and NOT have to disconnect the battery beforehand. What are you doing that would cause the alarm to go off?

whitelightnin 06-01-2010 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by 350junkie (Post 8423225)
If it's blown then nothing else down the line would of blown. I wouldn't be looking to the dealership for one since they're gonna want too much. Take it out and head to a parts house, could probably get one for around 2$

There's not too many Z's in my area so I dont think i'd have any luck at a junkyard,etc.. I am going to call advanced auto parts/ Autozone this morning to see if they carry it or can get it...

whitelightnin 06-01-2010 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3 (Post 8423427)
Hmmm... I've changed pads a dozen times, rotors three times, calipers once and have never had the alarm go off. It one of the few things you can work on the Z and NOT have to disconnect the battery beforehand. What are you doing that would cause the alarm to go off?

Well my alarm(stock) must be WAY more sensitive than yours then. I can take my index finger and barely tap the car and it'll beep. With the car jacked up, I started with the driver side rear. When Each of the two bolts that held the caliper to the rotor came loose, the alarm went off. Thats when we decided to disconnect the battery. It had already beeped 6 times and the alarm had went off twice before we even had the drivers rear complete....

350junkie 06-01-2010 05:43 AM

could of just disarmed the alarm?

whitelightnin 06-01-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 350junkie (Post 8424373)
could of just disarmed the alarm?

I dont know of any other way to disarm the alarm than by hitting the button on the key fob? If I turn it off with that, it will automatically arm itself a few minutes later...

DavesZ#3 06-01-2010 09:17 AM

Unlocking the door disables the alarm.

winchman 06-01-2010 09:34 AM

Maybe he's in a high crime area. While he's working on one side of the car, the thieves will be working on the other side. So, he keeps the doors locked.

350junkie 06-01-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by whitelightnin (Post 8424487)
I dont know of any other way to disarm the alarm than by hitting the button on the key fob? If I turn it off with that, it will automatically arm itself a few minutes later...

If you don't open the door/hatch then it will re-arm itself after like 5 so minutes.

unlock it and open and close a door and you'll be fine

sullys350z 06-01-2010 11:03 AM

Op, I had the same fuse blow on me. Final price was about $40.

whitelightnin 06-01-2010 11:26 AM

Yeah , ill have to try opening and closing the door to leave it unarmed. I always just closed the door and the damn alarm would come back on!

I do live in the ghetto... i jumped the post before and after the fuse just so I could power up the car and lock the passenger door.

I talked to my buddy at Dealership this morning and he said it would cost 40$ :( nissan kinda screwed us on this one.

thanks for the replies guys