Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Had to disconnect HKS Ignition, now the car pings

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 PM
pcressey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Had to disconnect HKS Ignition, now the car pings

I had a thread last week about sputtering/misfiring... long story short, the HKS Ignition (http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=840) system is failing somewhere; either the actual box or wiring harness. I disconnected the piggyback wiring harness and attached the OE back to the coils. The car no longer sputters/misfires.

Now, when I step on it I am getting a sound from the engine bay... like a ping/detonation (I think). It is only under a heavy load and pretty much WOT.

Can disconnecting this ignition amplifier cause a sudden pinging in the engine? The car was thrown on the dyno at the tune shop just before I disconnected the HKS, and it didn't ping/det once... The A/F ratio was mid-high 11's on the dyno (which is a little aggressive)... but I know the car is running more retarded than advanced (Stillen de-tuned the last time I saw them).

HKS won't deal with me directly, and Stillen isn't an authorized reseller (where it was installed), and I don't deal with the clowns anymore (HKS said I have to take it to Stillen, and Stillen has to go through their vendor for warranty stuff)... so I am out $500 for the HKS system.

Check sig for car modifications. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Lee R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said it was on the dyno at the tune shop. What tune and ECU are you using because per HKS.....

*HKS Twin Power ignition amplifiers have been designed to work with vehicles utilizing the OEM ignition system, fuel management, Engine Control Module (ECM) or Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and with vehicles equipped with the HKS F-Con Engine Management system. HKS cannot guarantee compatibility with other aftermarket manufacturer's products*

*Not to be used with non-restrictor spark plugs*

Just possible...throwing it out there. GL.

Last edited by Lee R; 07-28-2010 at 11:56 AM.